Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm looking to the forum experts for a little advise. Looking at my signature you can see I'm waiting for a RedLine. In conversations with my GM here in Maryland I'm optimistically looking at February/March 2007 for delivery. And I'm "ok" with that - at least I've resigned myself to the wait.
But, now here's the twist....I may have an opportunity to pick up a base Sky up in PA in the next day or so (original buyer backed-out and no takers from the dealer's own list). It's not the RedLine that I want, and not even the colors - it's black onyx with a black top and tan interior - but loaded.
Here's where I need the advise....I'm thinking of taking the base Sky and driving it until my RedLine arrives, then selling it. The big question is, "will I take a hit on it when I go to sell? Or, will it hold value?" I wouldn't be looking to make a profit, just whatever the payoff is at the time.
What do you think, experts?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Call your dealership and ask him what they would trade it for when the RL comes in. DO NOT tell them where it is as they may try to buy it for resale!! They may be interested as there may only be about 10,000 produced for model year 2007 to be shared among about 450 dealerships. In other words, for a dealership ANY Sky may be a good Sky for them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Dealer wants to trade

flyguy115 said:
Okay, I'm looking to the forum experts for a little advise. Looking at my signature you can see I'm waiting for a RedLine. In conversations with my GM here in Maryland I'm optimistically looking at February/March 2007 for delivery. And I'm "ok" with that - at least I've resigned myself to the wait.
But, now here's the twist....I may have an opportunity to pick up a base Sky up in PA in the next day or so (original buyer backed-out and no takers from the dealer's own list). It's not the RedLine that I want, and not even the colors - it's black onyx with a black top and tan interior - but loaded.
Here's where I need the advise....I'm thinking of taking the base Sky and driving it until my RedLine arrives, then selling it. The big question is, "will I take a hit on it when I go to sell? Or, will it hold value?" I wouldn't be looking to make a profit, just whatever the payoff is at the time.
When I recently inquired as to the status of my Redline order, the dealer told me that they would like to get my Sky in trade and would GIVE ME PRETTY MUCH WHAT I PAID! The reason is that Saturn Dealers are not restricted by Saturn as to what to charge for used cars and because of the demand and their large waiting list with deposits, some customers will want to pay a premium to get a clean used Sky with low miles. Just the same I plan to try the waters on ebay or auto trader. What do you think?

·
Registered
994 Posts
They are out there. I sent a bunch of emails to dealers on Friday morning while on Autotrader and got calls from one in Harlem, NYC who said they have an automatic midnight blue. Pass. This car screams manual. And I got a call today from a dealer in Denville, NJ who say they have a manual chili pepper red. I'm already going for the one I found in upsate New York. It will be a drive to get there, but a nice ride home if the fight over who drives the Sky back doesn't end in divorce. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
flyguy115 said:
I'm thinking of taking the base Sky and driving it until my RedLine arrives, then selling it. The big question is, "will I take a hit on it when I go to sell? Or, will it hold value?" I wouldn't be looking to make a profit, just whatever the payoff is at the time.
I was about to put a deposit on a Red Line until the dealer told me I would only get $21,000 for my base SKY. I paid $26,828...$28,687 after tax, tag, and title. After that hit the Red Line would cost around $3000 more.

If I sold it now I could break even but IMO it is a gamble to drive the car until the Red Line comes in.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
At the used car auction for dealers the used cars, Sky and Sol are brining 5k over original invoice, so I don't know were your dealer came up with 21k figure....I was at an auction with a dealer friend two weeks ago and he was out bid twice once on a Sky and then on a Sol....he had me along to check the cars out before he spent his $$$....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
351 Posts
seal9 said:
At the used car auction for dealers the used cars, Sky and Sol are brining 5k over original invoice, so I don't know were your dealer came up with 21k figure....I was at an auction with a dealer friend two weeks ago and he was out bid twice once on a Sky and then on a Sol....he had me along to check the cars out before he spent his $$$....Seal9:cheers:
Thanks for the info.

I believe that their rationale was so they could sell it for about $1000 or so under list and make a good profit.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
seal9 said:
Here is how he came up with $21K.

He was trying to STEAL the trade in!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Although these cars are being sold above invoice right now, you cannot predict what it will look like in 6 months. It is a gamble. Prices are not going to go up on these vehicles forever. It's no secret that GM is ramping up production at the plant. As more of them are purchased, there may be an even greater increase in demand, or demand may have already reached its peak. That's the gamble. I wouldn't risk it unless you're ok sitting on a standard Sky for a few years or don't mind being upsidedown.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Although these cars are being sold above invoice right now, you cannot predict what it will look like in 6 months. It is a gamble. Prices are not going to go up on these vehicles forever. It's no secret that GM is ramping up production at the plant. As more of them are purchased, there may be an even greater increase in demand, or demand may have already reached its peak. That's the gamble. I wouldn't risk it unless you're ok sitting on a standard Sky for a few years or don't mind being upsidedown.
:agree:
I wouldn't want to take a chance on ordering a Red Line and expecting a good price when the car comes in and that could take several months:willy:.
A trade is out of the question...$5000 loss:brentil:. I am thinking of selling my SKY for a fair price and then ordering the Red Line.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Flyguy, Did you go with the deal in Pa? I was just wondering how that worked out for you. We tried this approach a couple weeks ago with a Pa dealer and were totally jerked around.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flyguy, Did you go with the deal in Pa? I was just wondering how that worked out for you. We tried this approach a couple weeks ago with a Pa dealer and were totally jerked around.
Calico - check your PM inbox for my response...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts