Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass on some of the information from the Mallett V8 Solstice at the show.

Curb weight: 3030 lbs.
Weight ratio: 53.2/46.8 (no gas, no driver)
50/50 with 200 lb driver and 1/2 tank of gas
0-60 time: 4.0 seconds (est.)
1/4 mile: 13.0 seconds (est.) with factory 5-speed gearing
Ground clearance: 3.1 inches
Wheels: 19x9 with 265x35 tires (option)
Penske double-adjustable shocks (option)
Heavy duty radiator
Custom wiring harness with full factory controls (dealer readable ODBII port)
Lower emissions then C6 Corvette (50 state, including CA legal)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
HP: 420 at crank
Torque: 415 ft. lbs at crank

Slightly more then the C6 Corvette with same motor. Even Mallett himself was surprised since it's a 2 into 1 exhaust system. The 3 inch mid-pipe and Corsa muffler may be the reason.

The muffler from Corsa is a Camaro refitted for the Solstice. Dual outlet is available with the change out of the rear valance. Some of the examples I have seen on SEMA cars are either plastic or carbon fiber.

Comments by builder: This car will make one hell of a drift car with factory wheels and tires. Even with the larger wheels and tires you can burn the rubber right off them without having to dump the clutch. Burn out contest at red lights will be fun.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Mallett has talked about that already. Along with supposedly Supercharing the LS7.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"HP: 420 at crank
Torque: 415 ft. lbs at crank
Slightly more then the C6 Corvette with same motor."
I'm always skeptical - especially of claimed horsepower gains by those
with a vested financial interest in same. Did Mallet specify that the tests were standardized/corrected w/respect to all of the environmental
factors? What is the average variation amongst those engines from the factory? What's the mean error of measurement for his dyno? How much mileage did his engine have ? Chevy V8s used to be notorious in how long it could take for the rings to seat and thus realize maximum HP (12K miles had been reported on occasion).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The LS7 V8 Solstice is scheduled for mid to late November. If the numbers don't look right, you will be able to read 2 major magazines numbers they get when they test the car in 2 weeks. Expect it to be on news stands in January.

The V8 Sky conversion will be slightly easier given the additional room in the engine bay. The LS2 in the current V8 Solstice was lowered 2 inches and moved rearward for fit and weight balancing.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Delnari said:
The V8 Sky conversion will be slightly easier given the additional room in the engine bay. The LS2 in the current V8 Solstice was lowered 2 inches and moved rearward for fit and weight balancing.
What additional room in the engine bay?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The hood(bonnet) on the Sky has more room under it due to European regulations that require more crush space between the hood & engine bay contents. The majority of the hood is slightly higher, and goes out farther before curving down over the radiator. I think the fenders stick up slightly higher too. It's a lucky holdover from taking the concept from Vauxhall/Opel.

It's probably not too much room, but should give enough room to not have to "lower it 2 inches and move it to the rear" for fitment and balance purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Delnari said:
Just wanted to pass on some of the information from the Mallett V8 Solstice at the show.

Curb weight: 3030 lbs.
Weight ratio: 53.2/46.8 (no gas, no driver)
50/50 with 200 lb driver and 1/2 tank of gas
0-60 time: 4.0 seconds (est.)
1/4 mile: 13.0 seconds (est.) with factory 5-speed gearing
Ground clearance: 3.1 inches
Wheels: 19x9 with 265x35 tires (option)
Penske double-adjustable shocks (option)
Heavy duty radiator
Custom wiring harness with full factory controls (dealer readable ODBII port)
Lower emissions then C6 Corvette (50 state, including CA legal)
I guess I was right!!! :eek: 4 seconds FLAT to 60... :cheers:

I can't imagine driving that thing, it has to be AWESOME!!! :cheers: :eek:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Registered
250 Posts
To quote Jake,
"how much for the girl"

What will all this glory cost.. according to the car at SEMA. Does anyone have a well educated gues ( by that I mean an error of less than 1000 dollars).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
I guess I was right!!! :eek: 4 seconds FLAT to 60... :cheers:

I can't imagine driving that thing, it has to be AWESOME!!! :cheers: :eek:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
I changed my mind Del...bring that baby on the 13th!!! Can I drive it???? :D
How about just a ride in it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish everyone of you could be here to see these cars! It is the best experience of seeing so many special cars. My camera batteries have been refreshed and I will be shooting photos like a madman today.

From what I'm hearing the Sky does have a longer nose giving it additional engine bay length to work with. Even with the V8 conversion you can get to all the plugs and oil filter. The skidpad numbers were increase too (seat of the pants feel, not measure with meter yet). By lowering the engine in the bay and the overall car it should exceed 1 G's with the larger sticky tires and shocks.

My recommendation to anyone looking to buy this. Get an interior upgrade to the plastic door panels, they don't cut it in a $40K+ car. This car is really the hit of the Solstice's at the show. Even GM executives are looking at it twice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saturn Sales said:
I changed my mind Del...bring that baby on the 13th!!! Can I drive it???? :D
How about just a ride in it?
If you are really serious I can try to get Chuck to pony something up for you. He will begin working his second car on Monday, LS7 with blower. He is calling it his "shootout" car for the cover of magazines.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Delnari said:
If you are really serious I can try to get Chuck to pony something up for you. He will begin working his second car on Monday, LS7 with blower. He is calling it his "shootout" car for the cover of magazines.
I wish <*sigh*>. I keep thinking of it as "your" Solstice, yanno? I just need to get the Bonneville ION here! I am so happy to hear all the great feedback from SEMA. This is gonna be a wild SKY ride, and I can't wait!
Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a special treat I have photos of the new Aura prototype from the show. The interior looks great!

Mallett is considering bringing the V8 Solstice to 11-13 event. If we could set up on the street next to the dealership that might work for everyone. If he does, test drives can be given to serious buyers (deposit required).

Footnote, all the 100 Mallett Solstice cars for 2006 have been sold! If interest for the Sky is as popular, they will sellout before year's end too. Jill is the official Mallett Sky selling rep according to Mallett.

·
Registered
750 Posts
pics????

Come on where are the pics???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe a new option for Mallett Sky conversion. :)

Seriously, this was stuffed into a Impala at SEMA. The best looking engine swap I've seen in a while.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Where in the world are they hiding the intercooler(s) on that Impala
eldeeko

1 - 20 of 21 Posts