Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
As much as I like the base Sky, I think Honda beats GM dollar for dollar value with the new Civic Si. Granted the Civic is a hardtop, but comes in the same weight with 20 more horsepower. You can option the new Civic with 18" wheels, voice activated navigation, and Honda Factory Performance (HFP) parts that brings the price equal to the Sky. Add the fact you have a 6-speed transmission, a back seat for 2 adults and over 8 cubic foot trunk space makes the Civic more practical as a daily driver too. Honda has a curtain air-bag system making it one of the safest to drive as well. What is really selling me is the 22-31 mpg.

If 197 hp is not enough, Vortech and Jackson Racing have bolt-on supercharger kits that make 247 whp for under $4k. That will more than likely trump the Redline/GXP versions with their estimated 200 whp when announced.

http://www.cartv.com/content/resear...m/1/make/Honda/MAKE_VCH/Honda/MODEL_VCH/Civic

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Hey that engine bay looks exactly like mine. :D

Wish GM was making carbon fiber chin spoilers for my car. :brentil:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Delnari said:
As much as I like the base Sky, I think Honda beats GM dollar for dollar value with the new Civic Si. Granted the Civic is a hardtop, but comes in the same weight with 20 more horsepower. You can option the new Civic with 18" wheels, voice activated navigation, and Honda Factory Performance (HFP) parts that brings the price equal to the Sky. Add the fact you have a 6-speed transmission, a back seat for 2 adults and over 8 cubic foot trunk space makes the Civic more practical as a daily driver too. Honda has a curtain air-bag system making it one of the safest to drive as well. What is really selling me is the 22-31 mpg.

If 197 hp is not enough, Vortech and Jackson Racing have bolt-on supercharger kits that make 247 whp for under $4k. That will more than likely trump the Redline/GXP versions with their estimated 200 whp when announced.

http://www.cartv.com/content/resear...m/1/make/Honda/MAKE_VCH/Honda/MODEL_VCH/Civic

Apples and Oranges! Hardtop, Notop! I'll keep my sky!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delnari said:

:confused: You can't compare a Roadster to a Coupe or sedan dollar to dollar. Your always gonna pay more for a 2 seater Convertable. Also, shouldn't you buy a car that makes your mouth water... The base Civic does nothing for me,... granted the Sema Civic thats been hooked up was pretty kool. If I want a practical daily driver car, there's many to choose from. But as far as an eye catching Roadster with curves at a reasonable price that compare to the Sky or Solstice, thats hard to come by, with personal preferance in mind of course, I choose the SKY.

Also,.. The Redline and GXP versions are supposedly anywhere from 240-253hp

All's I have to say now is,.. Let's see Honda build a Hott 2 Seater Roadster that compares closely to the Sky in and of itself.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Slade said:
:confused: You can't compare a Roadster to a Coupe or sedan dollar to dollar. Your always gonna pay more for a 2 seater Convertable. Also, shouldn't you buy a car that makes your mouth water... The base Civic does nothing for me,... granted the Sema Civic thats been hooked up was pretty kool. If I want a practical daily driver car, there's many to choose from. But as far as an eye catching Roadster with curves at a reasonable price that compare to the Sky or Solstice, thats hard to come by, with personal preferance in mind of course, I choose the SKY.

All's I have to say now is,.. Let's see Honda build a Hott 2 Seater Roadster that compares closely to the Sky in and of itself.
S2000? As much as I dislike Honda, the S2000 is a nice car.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Slade said:
:confused:

QUOTE]

The Redline/GXP at 240-250 hp will be at the crank, that puts it more like 200-210 hp to the wheels. After driving the standard Solstice (Sky) the engine doesn't excite me like the higher reving Honda/Mazda engines do. Now a Mallett V8 is the ticket, but if you want a car for the same price as a standard Sky then the Civic Si offers better driving performance. Granted it not a convertible, and we love the top down driving experience of one. But as a daily commuter car the Civic Si wins on that account.

The Sky for what it is is a great bargain and fun car to be seen in. For me, driving a car is more important than being seen in one. The Redline/Mallett V8 would be my only option for a Sky.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Delnari said:
Delnari said:
if you want a car for the same price as a standard Sky then the Civic Si offers better driving performance. Granted it not a convertible, and we love the top down driving experience of one. But as a daily commuter car the Civic Si wins on that account.
Yeah... if you want an ugly car go for it! Get your Honda.... so many people drive Honda. Do not compare a Roadster with a coupe. At least compare the Ion Coupe RedLine with your Civic Si dollar per dollar! It's the S2000 that should be comparing with the Sky RedLine dollar per dollar.

Anyway, if you do so you'll find out that Honda isn't that great dollar per dollar and that the little Si isn't giving this much for its cost.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Delnari said:

if that kind of car is what you are into....
hey why not go ahead and get a new Impala for the same price??? much more practical more horsepower, more room inside and a huge trunk and gets just as good gas mileage

·
Registered
554 Posts
Snowy_Beast said:
Yeah... if you want an ugly car go for it! Get your Honda.... so many people drive Honda. Do not compare a Roadster with a coupe. At least compare the Ion Coupe RedLine with your Civic Si dollar per dollar! It's the S2000 that should be comparing with the Sky RedLine dollar per dollar.

Anyway, if you do so you'll find out that Honda isn't that great dollar per dollar and that the little Si isn't giving this much for its cost.
I would have compare ION Redline/Cobalt SS to the Civic Si but both are forced induction making just a bit more horsepower than the Civic. What I'm comparing is the purchase price and features. The Civic Si comes in under the Sky in price with more features and safer car. Now if you put Dodge SRT-4 into the mix then you have a real contender for power and price. The Dodge wins the drag race and loses on the road course. I was lucky enough to spend some time behind the wheel of the Civic Si as well as the other cars mention here, well the Solstice anyway.

The new Honda styling is fresh and exciting, so is the Saturn Sky. The Dodge is tired and old. Again, if you are into driving cars that really drive well the Civic Si wins. If style and nice handling is what you want the Sky is your first choice.

As for the S2000, the base Sky is not in the same performance class. Sorry for the bias, spent 2 years racing an Integra in the SCCA and NASA. Nothing more exciting than passing 6 cylinder cars on the race track.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Delnari said:
I was lucky enough to spend some time behind the wheel of the Civic Si as well as the other cars mention here, well the Solstice anyway.

The new Honda styling is fresh and exciting, so is the Saturn Sky. The Dodge is tired and old. Again, if you are into driving cars that really drive well the Civic Si wins. If style and nice handling is what you want the Sky is your first choice.
So you have driven the Civic Si and the Solstice and feel the Si handles better? About the power: everyone was all hyped about the 180hp celica GT with a six-speed manual trans about 4 years back now. I went to drive it and the HP below 7000rpm was so sorry it wasn't worth the money. Do you think the Civic had better power delivery then the Solstice? I'm just asking, because he commercials for the solstice say things to the effect of "80% of its torque is delivered below 2400rpms"(this is not the actual quote but quite close). I am asking because it sounds as though the solstice should feel more powerful in normal "in city" driving. The Civic would need a hwy ramp to make the loud revs it would take to get the most out of it, and if it's anything like the celica GT it definitly felt as though it should get better gas mileage below 7000rpms, because my wife in her '94 corolla auto trans could easily out gun the thing off the line if you didn't take the celica to 7 grand everytime before shifting. From your experiences, did the solstice feel more torquey? If not, manybe I need to look into something else.....the celica GT was a major power :confused: disappointment.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nemesis said:
So you have driven the Civic Si and the Solstice and feel the Si handles better? About the power: everyone was all hyped about the 180hp celica GT with a six-speed manual trans about 4 years back now. I went to drive it and the HP below 7000rpm was so sorry it wasn't worth the money. Do you think the Civic had better power delivery then the Solstice? I'm just asking, because he commercials for the solstice say things to the effect of "80% of its torque is delivered below 2400rpms"(this is not the actual quote but quite close). I am asking because it sounds as though the solstice should feel more powerful in normal "in city" driving. The Civic would need a hwy ramp to make the loud revs it would take to get the most out of it, and if it's anything like the celica GT it definitly felt as though it should get better gas mileage below 7000rpms, because my wife in her '94 corolla auto trans could easily out gun the thing off the line if you didn't take the celica to 7 grand everytime before shifting. From your experiences, did the solstice feel more torquey? If not, manybe I need to look into something else.....the celica GT was a major power :confused: disappointment.
The Sky/Solstice does develop torque faster than the Honda or Mazda MX-5. What makes the Honda different is the way it engine develops power. The Honda/Mazda engine is very rev happy and revs quicker than Solstice. Even though the initial excel of the Solstice was better than the Honda; the Honda feels better above 5500 rpms and gives the driver better throttle control. This is part of the reason why the gas mileage is better on the Honda/Mazda too; the 6-speed transmission helps as well.

I look forward to driving the Redline and seeing how good the forced induction model does. Been told by one GM engineer that I will not be disappointed. To be honest, the 2.4L EcoTec engine has not impressed me in it's normal aspiration form. Again, I'm a driver and drive my cars hard!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Keeping my Sky. Why buy a hard top when I can have a roadster? A great looking roadster at that. At 170hp the car will move and remember there will always be someone with more hp. I like the look and I want a roadster. In that respect dollar for dollar the Honda can't beat that! :cheers:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
rick112 said:
Keeping my Sky. Why buy a hard top when I can have a roadster? A great looking roadster at that. At 170hp the car will move and remember there will always be someone with more hp. I like the look and I want a roadster. In that respect dollar for dollar the Honda can't beat that! :cheers:

:cheers:In it's Simplicity, You Speak the Truth!:cheers:
It's as simple as that!,... I lusted for the Sky before I saw it in person. Then this past weekend I saw it and it turned into infatuation. :D A non-Miata Roadster for that price?? Im about to "INTERNALLY COMB:brentil:ST"

As a whole, THE SKY LOOKS TO ME LIKE A SUPER CAR! A Ferrarri or somthin'.
you can't beat that,... and to top it off you will have the more expensive option of a 425hp V8 Vette engine. that would be the super car im talkin about. and well worth the money. Price of an S2000,... Faster than a vette but half the vette price?

The Choice is yours,...
I MADE MINE

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good video :cheers: I wonder if that little chrome Saturn "tag" grill comes off easily, because that is one mod that I would consider. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts