Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
You should be returning it and getting the Kappa CAI...

It's cheaper...looks better and give you better air flow....

If you look at the two...the bend in the Kappa is far less then the LARGE BEND in the GM CAI.....the AIR has to work harder with the GM version...

The less bends the AIR takes the better the AIR FLOW...the better the response to the wheels...SIMPLE AS THAT!

GOOD LUCK BRO! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
And turbulence.

·
Registered
308 Posts
And pressure drop = less flow.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lol

FLASKY said:
Not step on toes here
but when air passes through a smooth bore tube
and makes a bend it picks up speed:)

That's the funniest crap I ever heard Bra...:lol:

RAM AIR INDUCTION....straight into CARB...best induction system known to man!

straighter means better....facts speak for themselves so do the HP gains....nuff said!

Go buy yourself a million cars...put motors in them and set them up with CAI systems and Superchargers and get back to me!

Alohas

·
Registered
277 Posts
REDSKY said:
You should be returning it and getting the Kappa CAI...

It's cheaper...looks better and give you better air flow....

If you look at the two...the bend in the Kappa is far less then the LARGE BEND in the GM CAI.....the AIR has to work harder with the GM version...

The less bends the AIR takes the better the AIR FLOW...the better the response to the wheels...SIMPLE AS THAT!

GOOD LUCK BRO! :cool:
Ill say yes and no to this! The GM gets air possibly at the best point in the engine bay while the Kappasphere doesn't so although the GM travels further it is purer and cooler so that should/could offset any gain from design differences in the two! plus GM parts = less hassle first 36k!

·
Registered
277 Posts
BUT I LOVE YOU KAPPASPHERE!!! got my shield on right now!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Leave Me No Choice

mynewsolstice said:
Ill say yes and no to this! The GM gets air possibly at the best point in the engine bay while the Kappasphere doesn't so although the GM travels further it is purer and cooler so that should/could offset any gain from design differences in the two! plus GM parts = less hassle first 36k!

You leave me no choice, looks like I have to be anal about this.

I understand GM may be hassle free first 36k...Also It may be your CARB buddy in CALI..but Kappas will be hassle free as well...If you need to have a CARB friendly application I understand why you want the GM CAI...other than that when you match the two up there are too many restrictions with the GM...Below are IMAGES OF BOTH...

The whole "GM gets air POSSIBLY at the best point" is just ridiculous...looks at the images the difference is like 6 inches. Anyway if you look the GM is HORIZONTAL to the car...the KAPPA is VERTICAL...THE AIR FLOW FROM THE SKY IS COMING FROM BELOW UPWARD...If you pull the front of your SKY apart you will notice there is no way for air flow to ram into these CAI systems from the front of the Sky because the front TOP Grill is NON FUNCTIONAL...HONESTLY it's a bad design for GM...

If the top grill air dam was functional we would be talking Ram Air for these CAI systems pretty much...TOO BAD.

Anyway...if you look at the GM CAI...there are several points where AIRFLOW is RESTRICTED....I highlighted them...There are no restrictions in the KAPPA CAI.

Honestly we are talking 1-2 HP here...I'm just telling you which one is better, that's all...I could care less who makes it. If GM had the better design even if it cost more I would get it...but it doesn't have a better design and it cost more!

KAPPA has the better design, better air flow and the cheaper price...IT'S A NO BRAINER!

This will be my last post on this subject... :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow I see the difference a colored engine cover!!! Cool... Actually if they did paint the cover I'd buy any damn CAI!

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
REDSKY said:
You leave me no choice, looks like I have to be anal about this.

I understand GM may be hassle free first 36k...Also It may be your CARB buddy in CALI..but Kappas will be hassle free as well...If you need to have a CARB friendly application I understand why you want the GM CAI...other than that when you match the two up there are too many restrictions with the GM...Below are IMAGES OF BOTH...

The whole "GM gets air POSSIBLY at the best point" is just ridiculous...looks at the images the difference is like 6 inches. Anyway if you look the GM is HORIZONTAL to the car...the KAPPA is VERTICAL...THE AIR FLOW FROM THE SKY IS COMING FROM BELOW UPWARD...If you pull the front of your SKY apart you will notice there is no way for air flow to ram into these CAI systems from the front of the Sky because the front TOP Grill is NON FUNCTIONAL...HONESTLY it's a bad design for GM...

If the top grill air dam was functional we would be talking Ram Air for these CAI systems pretty much...TOO BAD.

Anyway...if you look at the GM CAI...there are several points where AIRFLOW is RESTRICTED....I highlighted them...There are no restrictions in the KAPPA CAI.

Honestly we are talking 1-2 HP here...I'm just telling you which one is better, that's all...I could care less who makes it. If GM had the better design even if it cost more I would get it...but it doesn't have a better design and it cost more!

KAPPA has the better design, better air flow and the cheaper price...IT'S A NO BRAINER!

This will be my last post on this subject... :cool:
Seriously, I'm not seeing a huge difference between these two here.

Both intakes have pretty serious bends (I can't tell from your pictures but the Kappasphere one has what looks to be a 60* or more bend just after the air filter...) but both are an improvement over stock. Just don't see 1-2 hp of improvement in the Kappa CAI.

I mean, hell, I could probably build a CAI from ABS pipe that was just as smooth in flow as these AND won't heat soak as bad as aluminum will but seriously, the performance advantage would be so small.

I got the GM one purely because of the warranty issue and CARB for CA. Other than that, I probably would have gotten the KAPPA because of cost. Until I see comparable numbers, I realy can't believe there is a 1 hp difference between these designs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I knew this soon would becoem a debate lol! I am with REDSKY ont his one completely! I explored both intakes in pictures and notice that the GM was bent more and also that the filter was mounted sidways not straight up like any other intake I had used before. I also saw it came with a heatshield and with that mounted made me question how much air this thing could really get. I was questionable on the Kappa before I put it on (had it in hand 3 weeks before I had the car) because being mounted straight head on I was wondering if water would get into it through the grill, but after car delivery behold there was metal blocking the rain from coming head on intot he filter. I do like how the head on mount fo the filter sits because the air funnels in and down and is symetrically spread to the filter on all sides while the GM it has to be sucked into the rear of the filter (because of the way it's mounted). I know air still gets to it but how much cool air goes into both is the question as the GM is facing the engine on one side while the Kappa does not. But like it was stated above anything is WAY better than stock air box anyways so enjoy your intake if you have them and for the ones that do not GET ONE THEY ARE WORTH IT!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Saturnmotorsports has a dual intake CAI. Looks really cool! Any Comments?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good find Mitchell, that does look very interesting! I wish they had a pic of where the tubes join from the filters. I am not sure if that intake is a positive or negative with all that air collapsing into itself from both sides (before shooting up the main pipe), but should provide positive results.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I've just ordered it. I should have it on, this next week(July 10th) so I'll let you know how it goes. The guy I ordered it from,(Saturnmotorsports) said It sounds a heck of alot meaner than the basic CAI.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I've just ordered it. I should have it on, this next week(July 10th) so I'll let you know how it goes. The guy I ordered it from,(Saturnmotorsports) said It sounds a heck of alot meaner than the basic CAI.
And I'd venture to say that that's about all it does anyway, so ,may as well
completely drown out the audio system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts