Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My observations:
-This is a pre-production prototype. As such:
--The front had open mesh grills instead of dummy grills, but nothing is really behind these grills so there's no real purpose in leaving them open
--The marker lights in the composite headlamps had projector-style lenses over them. The production version has a chrome bulb mask and reflector instead.
--The composite headlamp had vertical stripes in the lens cover. The production version does not have these, but does have small ridges (probably for multidirectional reflection) over the marker light.

-As others have observed, the red of the dash is definitely a less vivid red than in pictures. At the bottom, I took color-calibrated pictures which accurately show the color. (Nikon Coolpix 4300, calibrated white balance mode metered off the neutral silver car body itself)
-The tail lamps are a much darker than appears in many pictures. If you have the sky calendar, they look most like the picture where the sky is shown in moonlight. They appear almost black when unlit.
-I sat in a Solstice, and the top of the seat was over my head (I am 5'10"). This is a good thing, since the Sky conspicuously lacks roll bars to protect your head.
-You sit *very* low in the car, and the waistline comes up very high. This is also good, because it means less wind turbulence. However, it will make getting in/out of the car more difficult than something with higher seats (think Ford Focus, Toyota Echo)
-The Pontiac feels pretty plasticky. Hopefully, reports of the Saturn having nicer interior materials will be correct; this looks to be the case from looking at it.

Oh, and the saturn aura looks SWEET too- LED tail lights, a first for GM as far as I know!

PICTURES: http://homepage.mac.com/khrispy/PhotoAlbum25.html

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Some really nice shots. MMMMM..... I can't wait much longer. I need to at least see this car.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Very Nice

Thank you for the proper photo colors. Nice to know they are not keeping the red dash in the two tone, it is a little too much. Glad you got to see and experience the new toy in town. Now you just have to wait to drive one!!!

Thanks again
Kimberly
ChiliSky

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Way cool -- Thanks for the tour... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
My observations:

Oh, and the saturn aura looks SWEET too- LED tail lights, a first for GM as far as I know!
Sweet pics. Thanks for your efforts.
I beleive the Cadillac Deville was the first GM with LED tail lights in 2000.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zbad1 said:
Sweet pics. Thanks for your efforts.
I beleive the Cadillac Deville was the first GM with LED tail lights in 2000.
Oh yeah- well, the first non-luxury car with them at least.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great pictures - best interior (shots) so far. Too bad they have to use artificial lighting - Those same shots would be great with real lighting conditions - You came real close with your color matching setup
eldeeko

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks- I could have done much better with a tripod and more time, but I was being rushed along by my friend who wanted to see the rest of the show too :p

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Whats up? I can't get back into the pics. Only the headlight mods is available.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, Kevin!

They are fake. There are endless threads elsewhere on the site about this. It's probably a good thing that they are fake; otherwise rainwater would get into the engine bay and could interfere with the ignition system.

kpl said:
are the hood vents functional or fake?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just realized I forgot to say thanks! The white balance mode made me feel like I was really there! Good Work! :cheers:

·
Registered
820 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
Oh yeah- well, the first non-luxury car with them at least.
I wish that Saturn had put LEDs on the Sky, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. We're getting a good price on an awesome car and they already engineered projection headlights into it. If I had to make a decision, I would take the projection headlights over the LED tail lights anyday. IF I had to make a decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts