Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced factory OnStar/XM Antenna with current Shark Fin Antenna. Bought antenna for a Buick Cascada on ebay for $30 and had it painted to match my 2009 Sky Turbo. Exact fit and exact pin connection once you remove old style factory OnStar/XM antenna. Works perfect, very easy transformation and gives Sky very up to date look!
20201025_190828.jpg
20201025_191027.jpg
20201025_191027.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does it work any better than stock? I find XM reception compared to my old Focus and Escape lacking. It's actually worse than my work Nissan, and that's abysmal.

·
Registered
17,835 Posts
I always wanted to do this but never got around....looks contemporary (y)(y) One question! If I recall when I installed my XM radio....the OEM shark fin needed a 3 wire antenna...on E BAY, I saw both 2 wire and 3 wire shark fin antennas...did u purchase the 3 wire antenna. GM did not install 3 wire antennas if you did not purchase your car with XM
The big question is...go with black or silver pearl. LOL

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I looked all over ebay and I certainly didn't see a Buick shark fin antenna in the $30 price range.
I'll be replacing my stock radio soon, so I don't care about XM.
Wonder if this will work?

There's this too!

Oooooo carbon fiber:

·
Registered
17,835 Posts
I'll be replacing my stock radio soon, so I don't care about XM.
Wonder if this will work?

There's this too!

Oooooo carbon fiber:
Do u really want to purchase this from China? Just go with a GM product for your car. Avoid being disappointed.

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
13 Posts
Found this. Should be the same thing...might be worth the $20 to see if it fits. Looks like it would retain all the same functionality as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just bought the "real functional" shark fin antenna, the gloss black finish one on eBay for $19.00. Hopefully the connectors are the same. I will report back.

I figure my stock antenna is black plastic & rubber. Why not the shark fin?

Speaking of On-Star and XM-Radio.............
All I want is to use the cell phone hands-free feature, but it doesn't work. I think I require a subscription to ON-Star to make it work. Is this so? When I try to link up, a voice comes on implying that I need to subscribe. That does not seem right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep us posted.
Wondering if it will clear the rear spoiler also...

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
All I want is to use the cell phone hands-free feature, but it doesn't work. I think I require a subscription to ON-Star to make it work. Is this so? When I try to link up, a voice comes on implying that I need to subscribe. That does not seem right.
Unless you have the UPF option from a 2009, you have to have an active OnStar subscription to do hands-free calling. Through 2008 the hands-free calling was through OnStar using an On-Star phone number, not your own phone.

·
Registered
17,835 Posts
I just bought the "real functional" shark fin antenna, the gloss black finish one on eBay for $19.00. Hopefully the connectors are the same. I will report back.

I figure my stock antenna is black plastic & rubber. Why not the shark fin?

For hands free....if u have a Sky without an antenna in your VCIM...it will not work. (Voice Control Interface Module)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Keep us posted. Wondering if it will clear the rear spoiler also...
I don't have a rear spoiler to worry about, but after installation I will get the dimensions from the new one to the rear of the rear deck lid. That should answer your question.

As far as hand's-free calling is concerned, that is disappointing to learn because I won't pay for an On-Star subscription. Thanks for the enlightenment.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The eBay Shark antenna came in. Boy, this thing is a lot bigger than I expected. It is the same height. I will eventually determine if the pass-thru hole and connectors work. I won't mount it if I have to cut wires or steel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m thinking a no go with the rear spoiler. It’s waaay bigger than I thought it would be.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Appears to be a cover that wires in to the stock base. Visual Garage made one that was pretty popular on the G8 forums.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts