Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
23B91773-6357-418A-BD58-D1E681EFD349.jpeg

You can see it fairly large, but fits the roof of the G8 nicely. It is a cover that installs over the factory base once the antenna is removed. Others have used late model Camaro units which involve removing the headliner which is a huge undertaking with these cars. This was done long ago when VG was really the only option.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am going to try installing the huge black eBay shark on my Sky. If it mounts and wires-up without any modification to my Sky, it might be proportionately appealing.....I emphasis "might". I will post my pictorial results. One thing certain, I never did care for the stock rubber antenna so I am hoping this works.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought my stubby antenna from Dave at PAW 🐾...... it’s about 4” and the price was around $20.00. The reception has been great, even on the highway.
I drove to his shop and he even let me try it before paying for it. More than fair!

·
Registered
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
13 Posts
I bought my stubby antenna from Dave at PAW 🐾...... it’s about 4” and the price was around $20.00. The reception has been great, even on the highway.
I drove to his shop and he even let me try it before paying for it. More than fair!
Are you referring to the standard radio antenna on the passenger quarter? We've been discussing swapping out the xm/OnStar antenna on the trunk.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had my Sky pulled out of the garage to get at my lawn tractor. While out, I took some pictures. If I can install the shark without modifying the car in any manner, I think I will like it. It is a lot bigger than stock, but that might be a compliment on a Sky without the rear spoiler. The shark is painted black, my OEM one is black too. I am thinking of just mounting the black shark, not repainting to match.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought the same Shark fin antenna as rjgramps but it was way too big for me. So I decided to try a weekend project. Purchased a dummy shark fin antenna off Ebay and transferred the guts from my existing antenna into it. I had to construct a inside support for the internal antenna piece out of instamorph plastic which looks a little sloppy, solder on a flat panel antenna to replace the original rubber mast, then pot the internals in with the moldable plastic. A quick paint job and its done! In the last picture the antenna in just sitting in the hole and not mounted yet. IMG_0067 (002).PNG IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0057.jpg IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0066.jpg IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0071.jpg IMG_0053.jpg

·
Registered
747 Posts
I hope to attempt installing my big black shark fin this week, the new one being sold on eBay to $20. I will stop if I have to do any mods to cabling that cannot be reversed, and especially to the deck lid. I want to revert back if I don't like it.

But the more I look at my OEM antenna, the more I think the big black one will look a lot better, better proportionately. It is surely a matter of taste.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree that it is a matter of taste, however I think that what you will find is the cabling issue may halt your project. I purchased the same antenna off ebay as you did. The one I received had 4 wire connections on it. The cable attached to my original antenna had two wires and totally different terminations on it. I'm sure I could have figured out how to hook up the two wires to the new antenna but my objective was not to permanently alter anything. I can easily change back to my old antenna with the way I did my project. I would be interested if you also had the two wire setup for your antenna.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well, I took off the OEM antenna and this seems to be a "bust". The large black shark antenna I purchased off eBay for $20 is a very nice product, if only it did not require enlarging and reshaping the round hole in the deck lid. I studied the shark base and I don't see it possible to reduce it's size and shape to fit the existing hole, but I will break off the clear plastic snap feature and see what remains. I don't want to mess with the deck lid so it might be over.

Regarding the 3 antenna connections, I think I can separate the mating connector and plug in each connection individually. This way I could revert back to the original configuration if I later wanted to. If I can get the shark into the existing hole, I will research this further.

Here are some pictures for the curious.

Original OEM antenna and hole in deck lid. I have the hole taped because I just finished buffing the deck lid.

Here are the two antenna bases. Note the OEM is round, the large shark is a larger square.

I set the large shark on the deck lid just to see how it would look. I think it is quite nice. If I can modify it to fit the hole, I will keep it black like the OEM one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Looks like there held together with torx screws. Could you possibly open them up and transfer over the OEM‘s internals to the new one?

Interesting thought.

Well....

I went back down and started modifying the shark. The clear plastic snap feature simply lifted off with a little encouragement. I cut it to remove it, then went for a fitment which was still too big. Using my Dremel, I removed two of the 4 metal wings, the two opposite the wires. This got the base to pass thru the hole in the trunk lid and the shark to sit flush.

Doing a comparison of antennas, I really liked the shark better for a few reasons.

1) It's surely more robust.
2) For my Sky without a rear spoiler, it's more appealing, both in style and in size. I always felt the OEM antenna seemed too tiny for such a surface.
3) The cables are color-code-matching which boosted my confidence in hooking things up properly.

I had just finished polishing the trunk lid so the painted surface is perfect. I then proceeded to make the change permanent.

First was preparing the shark. I removed all plastic shrouds from every connector and then cut off the white cable because the Sky does not utilize it.

I mounted the shark using it's original mounting screw with the tiny bracket that it came with, and also used silicone caulk in two places as shown to act as an adhesive to prevent the shark from spinning. I also added a dab in the extra hole of the trunk lid used to key the original antenna.
Here you can see the two blobs of clear silicone caulk. You can also see the small square gasket around the core, and a second gasket around the entire perimeter.

My wife held the shark still while I screwed it down tight. I then made minor adjustments while the caulk was still liquid. The shark and trunk pressed well together without air gaps between gasket and painted surface. During my prior evaluation, I checked for gaps from a curved deck lid, but the lid is flat in that area, so the seal is good and looks good.

I THINK I MADE A BAD CHOICE removing the white plastic portion of the car-side connector thinking it had to be discarded to work, but later thought that I could have simply pressed the shark connections directly in without modification...oh well. The car-side cables are all black so it was critical to refer to the OEM antenna. Once complete, I had this.

Being antenna connectors, theoretically I shouldn't have to do anything else, but you just never know when it comes to "antenna ground", so I insulated them with electrical tape which also prevents them from accidentally separating.

The rest is straight forward, tucking the wires in, and finishing assembly.

I can easily revert back to the OEM antenna if I (or anyone else) ever wanted to.

Here are the final views. Like I said up front, it's a matter of taste. Obviously I like it a lot better because I made the change.

If I had a magic wand, I would have preferred the shark be the same color as the car, but it's black just like the one it replaced, so I am fine with it.

One thing I will never know is if the shark antenna performs any better or worse than the original one because I don't subscribe to On-Star nor XM radio.

CLICK HERE to get to the eBay sale where I bought this black shark antenna brand new for $19.00.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice job. Bit of tinkering(which most of us enjoy) and it looks good.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts