Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After asking several times on the forum for info on removing the shifter housing with no response, I finally just started pulling the dash apart to do it myself. Here are some pix for those who want to give it a try. It does look about a million times better, the way it should look in my opinion, the same color as the waterfall.

There are about 8 screws you have to remove from the bottom of the dash to be able to "peel" the bottom of the dash under the radio/HVAC controls out just enough to pop the shifter housing up. The housing is held in by 8 clips. Also, remember to remove the cupholder first before prying the housing up. It can be pulled out carefully by deploying the cupholder, then gingerly working the forward end of the holder out first, then the aft will loosen up.

A buddy of mine who is awesome with an airgun sprayed 5 coats of yellow GM paint and 4 coats of clear to make a perfect match!

The first picture shows what the framework looks like under the housing.

The second one shows the newly painted housing on my car to show the match.

The third one shows the bottom side of the housing so you can see the clips.

The fourth one shows the bottom of the radio/HVAC stack pulled out a bit, just enough to remove/replace the housing.

The fifth shows how Saturn should've colored the housing in the first place!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
This is a real good thread to have around. Lotsa folks have asked for just this. Thanks for putting this together for us. Moving over to tech section so folks can find it in the future. :thumbs:

·
Registered
63 Posts
That looks really good, it's funny because when I was driving to work today I was staring at that same part thinking about painting it, small world!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree!!! It looks great. Nice job:thumbs:

·
Registered
694 Posts
:dthumbs:
After asking several times on the forum for info on removing the shifter housing with no response, I finally just started pulling the dash apart to do it myself. Here are some pix for those who want to give it a try. It does look about a million times better, the way it should look in my opinion, the same color as the waterfall.

There are about 8 screws you have to remove from the bottom of the dash to be able to "peel" the bottom of the dash under the radio/HVAC controls out just enough to pop the shifter housing up. The housing is held in by 8 clips. Also, remember to remove the cupholder first before prying the housing up. It can be pulled out carefully by deploying the cupholder, then gingerly working the forward end of the holder out first, then the aft will loosen up.

A buddy of mine who is awesome with an airgun sprayed 5 coats of yellow GM paint and 4 coats of clear to make a perfect match!

The first picture shows what the framework looks like under the housing.

The second one shows the newly painted housing on my car to show the match.

The third one shows the bottom side of the housing so you can see the clips.

The fourth one shows the bottom of the radio/HVAC stack pulled out a bit, just enough to remove/replace the housing.

The fifth shows how Saturn should've colored the housing in the first place!
Wow, I really like it.:thumbs: Something else to work on now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Awsome

That looks great! i love the idea, i have thought about doing it but i have been chicken, well not anymore! hope you don't mind another yellow being so close to you. thanks for the Idea:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Great idea...you're right...GM should've done it for us:thumbs:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely don't mind another yellow one doing this...the more the better. I'm sure this looks great on all of the other colors too...well maybe not the silver ones, but the brightness of the yellow is striking, in a good way! Once you sit in your car with it painted yellow, you'll almost be mad that it was silver in the first place.
I remember when I first sat in my car, one of my favorite things about the intial experience was seeing the bright yellow mirrors out of the corners of my eyes. The yellow shifter housing brought back that feeling. It reminds me of some of the old British Leyland roadsters that carried a lot of the exterior color into the interior.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm in the process of painting my shifter housing along with the engine cover. I needed some help on removing the housing on which I didn't have a clue on where to begin. When finished I'll post some pictures. Anybody else done this since and do you have any pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
OH YES!! :thumbs:
Another thing to put on the honey-do list for hubby this winter. :D

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Looks great. Just asked you a bunch of questions, but then went back and reread your post and you'd already answered them. Interested in the durability for those of us with horizontally challenged legs that constantly rub up against the housing.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
As we've had this topic come up a few times with requests for this info, by request, we'll sticky this for future reference.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Great Job.... Jades will be painted when I get back from KY..... didnt have time after we did her "nails" calipers. SkyBaby

·
Registered
341 Posts
Would you be able to post a pic that includes much of the interior so that we can get a good overall look? I just can't seem to picture it in my head.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Was there any prep work in order that it adheres and dont chip.... ? SkyBaby

·
Registered
386 Posts
Love the way it looks! Nice job.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was there any prep work in order that it adheres and dont chip.... ? SkyBaby

Yes, my buddy said he applied something to etch the paint so that the new paint would stick. I will ask him what it was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Upon further review, my buddy says he sanded the housing with really fine grit sandpaper to make sure that the paint he applied would get a good mechanical bond. He also wet sanded before each additional coat of paint. He's pretty hard core! I owe him and his wife a high dollar sushi dinner for his work...darn!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts