Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
TexaSky- Thanks so much for this information. I just got my shifter housing removed and painted. Looks AWESOME!!!! I love it. :D Thanks to you, we felt confident in removing it ourselves.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Looks really good. Now if I can just find a good source for paint, and add this to my growing list of items to be done...:lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
What about the cup holder????
-2 cup holder malfunctions and 2 replaced Shifter Housings.
-Yep, each time my side cup holder stopped coming out/or going back in, my dealer just replaced the ENTIRE gray Shifter Housing.
-Does that mean you loose your custom yellow housing just to fix the cup holder?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nope, the cupholder is easily removed from the shifter housing. It sounds like your dealer was just being lazy and replacing both parts. If my cupholder breaks, I will remove the yellow painted cap on it, and put it on the new silver one before installing.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Looks great! Question. Is there any room under there for some window switches:confused:
Nuke

·
Registered
354 Posts
Looks great! Question. Is there any room under there for some window switches:confused:
Nuke
Good question. it looks like he may have a little room on the left side. I'm thinking more of a unlock door switch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can you post some pictures of which screws exactly you need to remove? I started to do this and found two screws i needed to remove, but not 8! I wanna remove the housing to investigate some improvements to the car... :)
Thanks,
-Taylor

·
Registered
900 Posts
I went to my dealer and asked him if he could print out the preceedure to replace the the cup holder. Doing this gives you step by step instructions on how to remove the housing. Beware, It's not a small job!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went to my dealer and asked him if he could print out the preceedure to replace the the cup holder. Doing this gives you step by step instructions on how to remove the housing. Beware, It's not a small job!
Hmmm... would you be able to scan those?
-Taylor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am going to do the same - my Sky is bluestone color. Please reply with the location of the 8 screws - I just don't want to crack or break anything. Your help is very much appreciated.

After asking several times on the forum for info on removing the shifter housing with no response, I finally just started pulling the dash apart to do it myself. Here are some pix for those who want to give it a try. It does look about a million times better, the way it should look in my opinion, the same color as the waterfall.

There are about 8 screws you have to remove from the bottom of the dash to be able to "peel" the bottom of the dash under the radio/HVAC controls out just enough to pop the shifter housing up. The housing is held in by 8 clips. Also, remember to remove the cupholder first before prying the housing up. It can be pulled out carefully by deploying the cupholder, then gingerly working the forward end of the holder out first, then the aft will loosen up.

A buddy of mine who is awesome with an airgun sprayed 5 coats of yellow GM paint and 4 coats of clear to make a perfect match!

The first picture shows what the framework looks like under the housing.

The second one shows the newly painted housing on my car to show the match.

The third one shows the bottom side of the housing so you can see the clips.

The fourth one shows the bottom of the radio/HVAC stack pulled out a bit, just enough to remove/replace the housing.

The fifth shows how Saturn should've colored the housing in the first place!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can you post some pictures of which screws exactly you need to remove? I started to do this and found two screws i needed to remove, but not 8! I wanna remove the housing to investigate some improvements to the car... :)
Thanks,
-Taylor
Can you post pics of the screw locations??? I hate starting something and running into surprises.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
How do you do this if the cupholder is stuck closed? It seems as if the holder is off track. I can't pry it open without fear of breaking it. I am going to try to remove the screws and go from there first.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I also can only find the 2 screws.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bump:banghead:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can you post pics of the screw locations??? I hate starting something and running into surprises.
I'll start by saying any attempt to disassemble or modify is always at your own risk. I'm not responsible if you break, harm, maim or otherwise damage your stuff. You know your own limits, please respect them and don't exceed them.

IIRC, you may have to remove the entire lower dash to get to that bezel that surrounds the radio, because all the pieces overlay on eachother in some way or another.

You could probably get by just loosening certain parts if you'd done it before, and removing everything may be overkill, but IMO assuming this is the first time better to go "all in". The instructions I used were provided by lorennerol here. It looks like a lot, but it's not that bad. (I did it 3x's in one day recently - last time only took 15 minutes to pull everything apart.) If you prefer "diagrams" instead, click here.

Thanks, lorennerol! :seeya:

The only other addendum to lorennerol's instructions would be for you to remove the armrest over the transmission tunnel. Easy peasy. It's just force-fit. (Thought I had pics on my photobucket account, but I realize now I haven't uploaded them yet. :sorry:) Here's some instructions though:
1 - Stand in the car facing the rear (helps with leverage, IMO)
2 - Make sure your emergency brake is fully engaged
3 - Grab the lower sides of the arm rest, toward the back near the cupholders
4 - Pull straight up (it's held in by two retaining clips)
5 - When the arm rest is at about 45º, start to shimmy it toward the back of the car (this should release the one clip toward the front of the arm rest and keep you from breaking the plastic guides that guide the arm rest under the console surround.)
6 - Once you're free and clear of all clips/entanglements, pass the arm rest over the e-brake handle.

How do you do this if the cupholder is stuck closed? It seems as if the holder is off track. I can't pry it open without fear of breaking it. I am going to try to remove the screws and go from there first.
Once you get the console surround out, you should be able to remove the entire cup holder assembly. If you want to attempt to just remove the assembly, there are four clips (two above and below the cupholder mechanism) that would need to be released.

[Click the images to view larger]
Pic 1 (Top of Cup Holder assembly):

Pic 2 (Bottom of Cup Holder assembly):

Thanks AnonNomis :thumbs: for the pics and great write-up here!

Since yours is stuck closed, you might want to try to fish around with something slim yet sturdy, like a credit card or old driver's license, or expired gift card, in order to release the latches, though I don't know if even that'll do the trick.

The mechanism itself rides along a little track inside the assembly when it opens. When I found mine was sticking and either not opening fully or being difficult to close, I applied some white lithium grease along the track and now the thing operates as smooth as anything.

Good luck!
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Interesting. I waa scratching my head wondering what you guys were talking about when I saw this thread, until I looked at the forum gallery (I just haven't had the chance to closely examine that many Skys).

The Sky is very different from the Solstice in that area.

So different that I don't expect it would be easy to use Solstice pieces to customize the Sky.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I keep the dark interior theme and applied vinyl carbon fiber from ebay. It's vinyl and with spray on adhesive stretches to the shifter console well. $20 for two feet length.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mike, can't find the link but it's fabric back vinyl with CF look.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I would assume that the removal procedure is the same for an automatic

21 - 40 of 40 Posts