Saturn Sky Forum banner

shifting question

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ggccg 
#1 ·
I'll start off by saying that my Sky, which I got in June, is the fist manual transmission car that I have owned, I still havent mastered manual transmission. Now that my backstory is out of the way here's the question...
When I drive the sky sometimes I have a hard time shifting into gear, it's mainly just first and second gear. I make sure the clutch is totally pressed in when I shift, also, I don't shift into first until I come to a complete stop. Is this normal?

#2 · (Edited)
You should not be able to shift into first unless your at a crawl... and be careful not to go into second going to fast.

#3 ·
Mine's clunky going from 1st to 2nd too, especially when cold. Many others have posted about this. A good idea not to shift into 1st until stopped anyway. I believe there's a lockout that won't let you shift into 1st until you are under about 20mph to keep you from blowing up the engine from a missed shift. Haven't read the manual.

#6 ·
Mine's clunky going from 1st to 2nd too, especially when cold. Many others have posted about this. A good idea not to shift into 1st until stopped anyway. I believe there's a lockout that won't let you shift into 1st until you are under about 20mph to keep you from blowing up the engine from a missed shift. Haven't read the manual.
I have been shifting since I was knee high to a catapiller and I can go into first downshifting by catching up the revs and then it goes in . The reverse is locked out . You can not go into reverse from fifth gear. There is an indent so that will not happen. My suggestion is to learn shifting without using the clutch that way you will be an expert....Skip...:) :) :thumbs:

#15 ·
Used to do that on my 1st car, a '63 Nova that I paid $200 for. Not quite at the point yet of doing it with my new baby. My old tractor has a taller 1st gear than the Sky and don't use 1st that much unless I just need to. On level ground it takes off fine in 2nd.
My first car was a '62 ChevyII. $550.00.

#16 ·
My first car was a '62 ChevyII. $550.00.
Kept mine for a year, put 28k miles on it, had one small fender bender and collected $250 in insurance money. Pried the fender off of the tire with a crow bar and rolled on until I sold it for $175.

#4 ·
Wish I could help ya, but as an owner of the auto--Hard to help since I haven't not driven a sticked Sky. I have read on other threads of Idiosyncrasies on the manual Sky. Altho I have driven MANY sticks, up to ten gears mind ya, you do develope a ahh, "feel' for it if you will on engaging the gears as you go thru them on each individual vehicle, the Sky is no different IMHO. Alas, I'll let tho, those who have this tranny pass there "feelings & thoughts" regarding their thoughts on this "issue"--Good luck tho, and keep a-shifting--:thumbs:

#5 ·
So there is a lockout on first but there is no lockout going into reverse when you are travelling 80mph? Brilliant.

I have had trouble going into first when slowing down even when going under 5 MPH. I don't know why they would do this to a sports car? How are you supposed to race from a roll?

#9 ·
I still have a tough time from 1-2 when it is cold. It will shift OK but the clutch seems to grab a bit quick and we get that "lunge" we hate. Once everythng heats up - smooth baby -- smooth!

#11 ·
I do it on my 1997 Nissan truck, my 1975 Triumph Spitfire, I cannot do it, downshift no clutch, on my 2002 Ranger. Upshift is easy on any of these vehicles. And yes sometimes I grind but hey I have taken my share of straight shifts apart and replaced things....Skip..Old mechanic...:)

#12 ·
I once had a friend of mine do a Stallon moment. You know spin the car around and drive in reverse. Let out on the clutch and did fine. Turned it around and missed a shift and came to an arupt halt with gears flying through the air. Broke the transmission case wide open. He said awe hell lets go put another transmission in....Skip...hey wasn't my car it was his....:) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.