Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am looking for recomendations to replace the original stocks. I plan on "spirited" driving. I do not care for lowering from the stock height although will go coil overs if they permit stock or near to that height. Looking for no more than $1100 in parts. Backbone and exhaust to be installed later this month.Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
Which version do you have, NA or RL? What don't you like about what is on the car now?

I have one of each, and while I am in the minority, I find spirirted driving to be as easy or even easier with the softer NA suspension.

If you don't have the ProBeam or another rear suspension brace, get one. It is the single best performance mod you can do.

The stock springs & shocks are coilovers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which version do you have, NA or RL? What don't you like about what is on the car now?

I have one of each, and while I am in the minority, I find spirirted driving to be as easy or even easier with the softer NA suspension.

If you don't have the ProBeam or another rear suspension brace, get one. It is the single best performance mod you can do.

The stock springs & shocks are coilovers.
2007 Stock N/A with Cold Air induction. Soon to have header and dual center exhaust. I will be putting on the backbone with the exhaust. Other braces to follow later. I was told a while back that the backs were leaking and I have definite not normal rear tire wear. At 72000 miles I just figure to change them out, go alignment, new tires and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
Rock Auto has the ACDelco replacement for the original Bilsteins, so that is definitely an option. If you want stiffer, they also have the replacement for the RL OEM shocks.

When you get the alignment done, make sure the shop can check the rear caster. Not all of them can as it takes a special gauge that is also used on Corvettes, or at least some of them.

I'll repeat my recommendation of the ProBeam as the most important brace and add that i think the front brace is unnecessary.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I did Probeam, backbone, front brace, front and rear Redline Z0K swaybar and BC coil overs at once. If you dont know why you would want to switch to adjustable coil overs on this car, stay with OEM and add the braces. While I don't share John's opinion the front does nothing, the change is so minor you can forgo it and not miss it. Stay with OEM shocks and sway bars, add the probeam and backbone braces, and leave it there.

For the 2.4, the Redline's shocks, springs, and swaybars are an upgrade (these were part of the 2.4s Z0K upgraded suspension) and if you find a good set someone took off their Redline this might work for you too

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
In bagpiping, it is what is known as adding the 'grace notes' - an unnecessary but pleasing embellishment.

I did all of the same mods to my suspension and added the front stiffener last and agree that while it does add something, you can do without it as the improvement is minor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did Probeam, backbone, front brace, front and rear Redline Z0K swaybar and BC coil overs at once. If you dont know why you would want to switch to adjustable coil overs on this car, stay with OEM and add the braces. While I don't share John's opinion the front does nothing, the change is so minor you can forgo it and not miss it. Stay with OEM shocks and sway bars, add the probeam and backbone braces, and leave it there.

For the 2.4, the Redline's shocks, springs, and swaybars are an upgrade (these were part of the 2.4s Z0K upgraded suspension) and if you find a good set someone took off their Redline this might work for you too
I was looking at BC coil overs but can you retain the stock ride height? Also was looking on Ebay at Koni or stock Bilsteins.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was looking at BC coil overs but can you retain the stock ride height? Also was looking on Ebay at Koni or stock Bilsteins.
Definitely - that's exactly what I did as I had a driveway lip that precluded having anything lower. I think that the BCR shocks are the most bang for the buck out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
In bagpiping, it is what is known as adding the 'grace notes' - an unnecessary but pleasing embellishment.

I did all of the same mods to my suspension and added the front stiffener last and agree that while it does add something, you can do without it as the improvement is minor.
I will submit that "unnecessary but pleasing" and "so minor you can forgo it and not miss it " are not equivalent comments.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I disagree with all of you. lol

I had the venom brace and really could not tell a bit of difference. I put the shock tower/cross over engine brace that DDM once sold and thought it made a tremendous difference. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

I recently put the coil overs on, but have not set ride adjustment yet. Too much rain to take the car out, will do it on the next sunny, warm day that I have off

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I put the shock tower/cross over engine brace that DDM once sold and thought it made a tremendous difference. Unfortunately they are no longer available.
IIRC the objections to the over the top style of front brace was that it limited access to parts of the engine, and it looked like a bridge under construction. But I believe that it did the job - weren't there some torsional measurement figures floating around a few years ago?

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Personally, I like the look, and if you look under the hood of the High End pony cars of today it seems most have some sort of brace across the engine bay that connects to the shock towers..

I know one of the posters, Latin Venom was up set with me posting I liked the DDM cross brace better, but I understood he was a seller of the Venom Brace. I had the Venom Brace on my Green Car and the Cross engine brace on the yellow car. It felt to me like the brace actually forced the the inside wheel when turning was actually forced down on the pavement, Not stopping the body roll, but the brace seemed to load the suspension the harder the car was pushed into a turn. I am not a racer, by any means, just a seat of the pants observation.

It does interfere with on of the coils and the sensors, but it is not that hard to remove/replace.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
FYI Performance Auto Werks does make that over the top brace now.

When I say the change with the venom brace is minor, that isnt to say it is insignificant. John, in engineering if a bolt hole is off by 1mm on a 1,000 foot long structure, is it minor but still significant?

Most people dont push their Kappas like I do. For the average driver, the venom brace does nothing. For those of us who can feel the difference In the card handling between setting 16 and setting 17 on the BC coil overs, the difference may matter substantially more.

It's a matter of application...in a daily driver application, the venom front brace isnt worth it. In a autocross or track car, it is. The crowd over brace (which attaches right at the shock towers) will have a bigger effect. It's on my list after the engine gets sorted.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
......... John, in engineering if a bolt hole is off by 1mm on a 1,000 foot long structure, is it minor but still significant?.........
To me, "minor" and "significant" are antonyms, so your analogy only makes sense in one specific context. A 1 mm deviation in 1,000 feet is a 0.0003 % variance, so yes, I would call that minor. It would only simultaneously be significant if that amount of deviation caused some loss of function or performance to that structure, so the answer is no, it is not also significant. If it did turn out to be significant it would make it a rather badly engineered structure, since very few things of that scale can, with any practicality, be held to that sort of tolerance. For example, if this structure was built from 12" I-beams, they would have to be held to a height tolerance of 0.000036".

On a side note, don't forget that mixing metric and imperial measurements once caused a probe to crash into Mars.

Since this discussion is about a road car that will be used for "spirited" driving, it appears to me that we agree, since I called the venom brace "unnecessary" and you said "the change is so minor you can forgo it and not miss it". Value for competition really doesn't apply, and bringing it up only confuses the issue (in my mind at least) when advising someone about improving their road car.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Since this discussion is about a road car that will be used for "spirited" driving, it appears to me that we agree, since I called the venom brace "unnecessary" and you said "the change is so minor you can forgo it and not miss it". Value for competition really doesn't apply, and bringing it up only confuses the issue (in my mind at least) when advising someone about improving their road car.
I mention it because someone will come along this thread and miss that point leading to the conclusion. It does nothing. It does do something and the subject of it being unnecessary is purely up to the purchaser.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts