Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '07 Sky Redline, 55k miles.

About 75 miles from the place of purchase (private party) I sat in the line at Dairy Queen. And found out the cooling fan doesn't work. At 250, I kicked on the heat and the fan to full blast, about killed us in the car, but we were in line and couldn't go back or forward. Heat dropped off to about 244, finally got through the line and got back on the road for a few miles and got the heat down. I've ordered a Ford fan controller since that seems the most likely thing.

Lovin' the Sky, SO much fun to drive. I've never had anything that quick or steady. She doesn't match my Vette for raw power, but I think she could take it in the curves. :)

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much heat the engine can stand, and for how long? Did I damage anything at 252 degrees? It was there for less than five minutes. I've been afraid to take her out of the driveway until I get the fan fixed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You may have. I think IMSMC, 245 or around there is the magic number. The amount of time doesn't matter, it's the temp that matters. Once it's there, it's like a nuclear reactor...thing happen quickly and bad things. Pistons start to melt and we have extremely thin pistons. But, if you drove it home with no knocks, you might have skirted an issue. Don't bother with the heater on our cars, it's an old wives tale and the temp sensor being by the heater core, you will get a reading that's 10+ degrees hotter. Are you sure it's the fan? Even idling, unless I've come off the freeway, very seldom would I see temps above 220 idling for only 5 minutes. I would do the thermostat and a flush as well as figure out the fan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may have. I think IMSMC, 245 or around there is the magic number. The amount of time doesn't matter, it's the temp that matters. Once it's there, it's like a nuclear reactor...thing happen quickly and bad things. Pistons start to melt and we have extremely thin pistons. But, if you drove it home with no knocks, you might have skirted an issue. Don't bother with the heater on our cars, it's an old wives tale and the temp sensor being by the heater core, you will get a reading that's 10+ degrees hotter. Are you sure it's the fan? Even idling, unless I've come off the freeway, very seldom would I see temps above 220 idling for only 5 minutes. I would do the thermostat and a flush as well as figure out the fan.
Interestingly enough, the former owner just replaced the water pump and another bunch of stuff - enough to cost him just short of 2 grand. I've tested voltage up to the fan and it's got voltage, turning the AC on does nothing to make the fan run. I only paid $25 for the controller, figured it was a fast easy fix if it's the fix. If not, then I know what it's not.

Yea, we drove the rest of the way home (about 90 miles) without incident. No overheat, the car runs between 189 and 194, I saw it up around 200 climbing a fairly steep hill. Trust me, I drove with one eye on the temp after that.

The air coming out of the heater was hot enough to be uncomfortable, and the temp dropped by at least 6-8 degrees in about three minutes, so it "seemed to work". Temps outside were near 100, so that's probably part of the issue.

Part's due tomorrow, hopefully I'll have a working fan by tomorrow afternoon. If it turns out to not be the fan controller, I'll be calling the company that did the work - when I say "just replaced" it's literal, it was the end of June, so it's only been a month. I'd hope they'd stand by their work, although it's not helpful them being nearly 200 miles away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Summit Racing has a lot of fan options if that ends up being what you need.
Hah!

The cheap Ford part worked like a charm, I now have 189 degrees with the A/C on, and 199-201 degrees sitting in the drive thru line with the A/C off.

I bought a spare, I plan to keep it and a stubby screwdriver in the car at all times. I may also buy the expensive AC Delco one - any opinions on that? I know some people swear by them and some swear at them.

Now, of course, it's entirely possible that the fuse will blow, the fan will burn up, or the cheap part will crap out - but for now, I have a fully functional Sky.

And it's all thanks to y'all on the Sky and Solstice forums - no way I'd have known anything about the Ford alternative without you.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Hah!

The cheap Ford part worked like a charm, I now have 189 degrees with the A/C on, and 199-201 degrees sitting in the drive thru line with the A/C off.

I bought a spare, I plan to keep it and a stubby screwdriver in the car at all times. I may also buy the expensive AC Delco one - any opinions on that? I know some people swear by them and some swear at them.

Now, of course, it's entirely possible that the fuse will blow, the fan will burn up, or the cheap part will crap out - but for now, I have a fully functional Sky.

And it's all thanks to y'all on the Sky and Solstice forums - no way I'd have known anything about the Ford alternative without you.
Would you link to the part you used? I'll add it to the mega excel sheet I'm building. I haven't used ACDelco before, so I have no idea on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you link to the part you used? I'll add it to the mega excel sheet I'm building. I haven't used ACDelco before, so I have no idea on that.
Sure!

Did you note that it looks as if the HHR 2008-2010 is also the same part?

Vic

·
Super Moderator
11,342 Posts
250 is were our warning lights come on and it is high. I think with the aluminum you have a little overhead but not much. I saw 260 in mine once and had no damage but everyone is different. Glad you got the fans working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
250 is were our warning lights come on and it is high. I think with the aluminum you have a little overhead but not much. I saw 260 in mine once and had no damage but everyone is different. Glad you got the fans working.
That's kind of what I was thinking, I saw about 248 when the light and chime came on and I was desperately trying to dump heat and get the line to move just .. a .. little .. faster. I never saw it above about 252.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts