Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the shorter antenna's work ? I would hate to loose the radio reception , they do look better though. Anyone bought one off Ebay ? There seem to be alot there. What brands are good ?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Yes they do work. No I didn't get it of eBay. I got it from one of the sites supporting vendors Car Accessory. :thumbs:

·
Registered
18,274 Posts
a wire hanger will work as an antenna. If u r in a valley u may need a large antenna....if u r near or in a city...any antenna will work....but remember this...it is not the antenna that usually gives u the best reception, it is the broadcast signal from the radio station...how strong it is...so, choose wisely.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I bought one from the supporting vendor also. It looks great and though it extends I haven't needed to extend it for any reception problems. I drove for a while with no antenna because it looked better but Im very happy with the look of the stuby. In DC we have new "short range" FM stations for Redskins broadcasts, I can hear Riggins and the games just fine with the stubby. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Stubby yes

I bought a series B from CAccessory. It looks so much better. The tip did get lose (I suppose?) and I noticed it was lost. But these are so inexpensive I ordered and had another within the week.

Great reception, looks great, inexpensive and fast shipping. Just like the Sky itself...except for the fast shipping!:lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I was going to order an antenna on line.....but purchased a 12 inch black whip one from pep boys....its cool! I needed a shorter one so it would clear the hoist :eek:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I broke ours off on Sunday unloading the trunk. I glued the top back on and it still works great.
lol.....duct tape works well also.....:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey 1994sc2

My wife and I are planning our first Sky getaway weekend to Lancaster. Looks like you are not too far away. Maybe we could meet halfway the weekend of October 22nd. Anyone else in the area interested?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I gotta say the stubby antenna isn't so great with reception around here. The stations fade in and out so much i wont even listen to local stations. If i didn't have sirius i'd be putting the stock antenna back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also got the series B from Caraccessory, looks great. Havent checked out the reception yet ..always on XM for now. Did notice one problem that occurs with the series B FULLY extended. It whistled like crazy at highway speeds. Once I lowered it halfway it was quiet. I am sure this was discovered in the wind tunnel during development ...hence the standard GM antenna coming with the car instead of an attractive "stubby" one

·
Registered
230 Posts
Series B from Car Accessorys

I purchased the Series B upon reccomendations from other members of the forum. The instillation was a breeze, unscrew the original and put on the new, takes about two minutes. I seem to get good reception without extending it, but I do plan on listening to XM or CDs most often. The vendor was great as well, I ordered and waited two weeks, but I didn't receive it, so I contacted them. They shipped another one out the next day and I am very happy with the purchase.:thumbs:

BlueSky_SummerSol - thanks for the tip about it whistling when extended.

Here are some pictures of the old antenna and the new antenna installed:

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
The stock antenna can be cut down to any length you think looks best. The top of it can be finished off with the top of a ball point pen. The stainless steel pens sold at Sams Club named "Zebra BP F-301" work perfectly for this and they write pretty good too ! The stock antenna, when cut down, seems to have better reception than some of the aftermarket ones and doesn't whistle in the wind.

Richard

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The stock antenna can be cut down to any length you think looks best. The top of it can be finished off with the top of a ball point pen. The stainless steel pens sold at Sams Club named "Zebra BP F-301" work perfectly for this and they write pretty good too ! The stock antenna, when cut down, seems to have better reception than some of the aftermarket ones and doesn't whistle in the wind.

Richard
I assume you could just use a hacksaw to cut it down. How would you hold on the top to the antenna??? Superglue

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
The stubbies that I have looked at all listed a reception value (3/5, 3.5/5, etc) which tells me that reception is 60% or 70% as good as stock.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I assume you could just use a hacksaw to cut it down. How would you hold on the top to the antenna??? Superglue

Heavy duty wire snippers work well for cutting it. Super glue might work, I would use an epoxy like Marine Tex or similiar. The stock antenna is 30 inches long. Cut down to 14 " looks really good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts