Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the shifter likes to dance around while I'm driving. I've never noticed this with other manual transmission cars I've owned. Do you think this is normal to a short shifter?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dancing is not normal for any shifter. Something is loose or missing. Take it in to the dealer. Most shifters are lightly loaded to prevent the dancing. I would guess yours was improperly assembled. I have 9000 miles on mine and it does not dance around. BTW I'm retired from manual transmission manufacturing with most of my time in Quality. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have not noticed - however I will take that as not having the problem, since I would HOPE I'd notice something like that!!:D

I have noticed the slightest wriggle when idling in neutral...

·
Registered
205 Posts
the wiggle is that the tranney is moveing sence the shifter is conetected to it it will move when you are in and out of the power. also if you let go of the stick when you are not shufting it will last longer. one theing i have noticed over the years from parking in first is it is easyer to pull the stick over to shift in to 1st and 2nd than 5th and reverse

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
Our cars have hydraulic engine mounts, which do a much better job of isolating the chassis from engine vibration, and as a result, let the engine/gearbox move around quite a lot. If you watch any in-car video (some links are posted in this forum) you will see a lot of movement as the engine is loaded and unloaded. If you can push on the shifter (in gear) and it feels solidly connected, you are OK. If it rattles around, have it checked.

As theirishgonzo said, you should not push on the shifter while you are driving. Doing that holds the shift fork against the synchro, and will cause wear and other bad things inside the gearbox. Both hands on the wheel, except when shifting ! OK, there are other exceptions.....never mind.

Most people can pull things easier than they can push them, as the bicep is typically stronger than the tricep, and the leverage is better, so the 1/2 detent should feel softer than the 5/R detent. Of course, inhibiting a 3-R shift is more important than inhibiting a 3-2 or even a 4-1 shift, so the 5/R detent may in fact be stiffer. Maybe I'll measure it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts