Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have finally caught-up on production of the Shorty header. They are in stock, ceramic coated and ready to ship. The price is increasing to $405.00 but I will hold the current price of $375.00 through the end of July or until stock is depleted. We have 10 ready to go.

Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
830 Posts
Dan I have mine installed and what a difference, they work so well and look super under the hood...The performance at mid and upper RPM really is great. I had them installed in under an hour.....Seal9
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
I have been wondering, what is a "shorty" header and why does it increase performance? How much increase is expected?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,446 Posts
jarcher said:
I have been wondering, what is a "shorty" header and why does it increase performance? How much increase is expected?
A shorty header vs. a long tube header will maintain the stock catalytic converter location. If you look under your hood and follow the stock exhaust manifold you'll see a big coffee can looking thing at the end of the manifold. That's your Cat. A shorty header will replace your stock manifold and, by using equal length tubing, alow the engine to breath better. A Long Tube header will require you to remove your stock cat and replace it with an aftermarket cat relocated under the car. The Long tube headers will replace the stock exhaust manifold, cat, and the first part of your exhaust system. They will generally give you a bit more power than shorties but in many states it is illegal to change the location of your stock cat making long tube headers impractical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
Pics? of installed shortys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
with the shorty can i keep my factory Xaust with out changen anything until the aftermarket dual comes out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Robotech said:
A shorty header vs. a long tube header will maintain the stock catalytic converter location...
Cool, thanks for the rundown! I'm also wondering if a shorty header can be installed without exhaust changes behand the cat... Also, how much improvement in performance can be expected from new headers? Does this mod require a CAI to work well?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,446 Posts
You can keep your stock exhaust as it is. That's the whole point of a shorty header is that it is just a bolt in mod...no cutting or welding needed like with the long tube.

As some have already seen a CAI may add 10 hp and an exhaust may add 10 but together they make about 13 so while you don't HAVE to have a CAI to use a shorty header the two will compliment each other a little.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
830 Posts
The upgrade is easy and works with all Cats. The performance thru the RPM range is very noticeable. Smoother and far stronger in 5th...The shortys that Dan has will only increase the heat inside the engine compartment a small amount, some shortys require a new engine cover and other mods due to the heat...I have 450 miles on the car after replacement with no real increase in heat under the hood...I have been working on air flow using wireless thermometers so I'm sure of this....I will post Pics tomorrow so you can see this Mod.....Seal9:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
please do im looken forward to seeing it so i can order it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
how to install shorty

complete installation instructions with pics

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14411

hope this helps

be sure to scroll thru the entire thread. Later in the thread there are pics of the header with the engine cover put back in. You'll see that with the cover you hardly see the headers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
usmc said:
complete installation instructions with pics

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14411

hope this helps

be sure to scroll thru the entire thread. Later in the thread there are pics of the header with the engine cover put back in. You'll see that with the cover you hardly see the headers.
Thank you to all for posting links and helping to answer questions about how easy our header is to install and perform! :cheers:
We will be introducing a couple of engine covers soon ( different materials ) that will clean up the engine bay, they will allow a great visual of the header and still keep the top of the valve cover,...well covered :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,446 Posts
TCASON said:
Thank you to all for posting links and helping to answer questions about how easy our header is to install and perform! :cheers:
We will be introducing a couple of engine covers soon ( different materials ) that will clean up the engine bay, they will allow a great visual of the header and still keep the top of the valve cover,...well covered :)
Oh, but it is such a pretty valve cover...yea...not so much. LOL
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top