Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any fitted a set of these to a Sky? I know it’s not for performance and I know it’s not a V8 we’re talking about and it will do nothing for performance nor will it sound like a V8. Im just interested in if anyone has done it and what was their experience and outcome. Thx

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I know there was a Solstice owner that had something similar -- @60's Sol

Not sure if he's on this forum, or even if he's still around. But if he doesn't see this you could try messaging him over there.

·
Registered
884 Posts
that would greatly affect your Trifecta tune and I imagine it would have to be redone. Apparently there is no muffler? Where and at what cost can they be acquired?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't burn your legs getting out of the car. My old boss had a 427 Cobra and his wife rode one day with him to the dealership. When she got out, she went to the hospital because she blistered her legs on the hot exhaust. Side pipes are a pain!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Don't burn your legs getting out of the car. My old boss had a 427 Cobra and his wife rode one day with him to the dealership. When she got out, she went to the hospital because she blistered her legs on the hot exhaust. Side pipes are a pain!!
Yup - and an especially dumb idea on a low slung car like ours - turns a modest speed bump into a lottery on whether you'll leave part of the exhaust system behind. My bet is that only one side of the one in the clip is functional, in which case it probably wouldn't foul up the tune. Might not bother it in any case if the downstream O2 sensor was above the split.

And I had a friend with a 63 Corvette with side pipes and his girlfriend also burned the heck out of a leg getting out of the cars (and refused to ever ride in it again). Didn't go to the hospital that I recall so she got off lighter than the lady you mentioned.

I guess I can see the point if you were trying to replicate the look of a 60s car, but you'd sure have to be exact in mounting so you didn't cause yourself problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Side pipes are no worse than some motorcycle exhausts. They typically do not hang lower than the frame. On some motorcycles you risk getting burnt everytime you put your feet down. I found out the hard way not to wear synthetic material pants because they melt.

·
Registered
884 Posts
In the picture there is a heat shield so shouldnt burn yourself too bad. Just weld the doors shut so you exit over the door and miss the pipe. Thats what we did with the old Ford roadsters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts