Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I have never owned a convertible in my life, so it goes without saying that I have many questions sitting in the back of my mind. The main one being...just how water resistant are those cloth tops? It is inevitable that at some point, you will get caught in a sudden and unexpected downpour...is there ANY chance of water completely soaking through the cloth top if one of these cars were to get caught in monsoon-like conditions? :confused: I will most likely be driving this car to work during the warmer months. Many times, it's a beautiful day when I leave my house, but by the time I leave work the weather has drastically changed. I don't want to come out to my car after work and find that the interior is water-logged due to rain soaking through the cloth top? Are my concerns legitimate...or is there absolutely, postively no chance of this happening?

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are 100% water resistant. I had a camaro convertable for about 5 years and put the thing through HELL and back and it never leaked when it rained.

However, the seal between the windows and the top will lead if you take it through a drive through car wash. So, the moral of the story is: If you don't take it through the drive through car wash (like I made the stupid mistake of doing like 10 times :banghead: ) your top will be completely waterproof.

·
Registered
165 Posts
nscrbug said:
Ok...I have never owned a convertible in my life, so it goes without saying that I have many questions sitting in the back of my mind. The main one being...just how water resistant are those cloth tops? It is inevitable that at some point, you will get caught in a sudden and unexpected downpour...is there ANY chance of water completely soaking through the cloth top if one of these cars were to get caught in monsoon-like conditions? :confused: I will most likely be driving this car to work during the warmer months. Many times, it's a beautiful day when I leave my house, but by the time I leave work the weather has drastically changed. I don't want to come out to my car after work and find that the interior is water-logged due to rain soaking through the cloth top? Are my concerns legitimate...or is there absolutely, postively no chance of this happening?
It has been raining every day since I brought my baby home on 4/12. Not a drop has shown up. I had another convertible until '95 and it also never leaked.:thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
nscrbug said:
Ok...I have never owned a convertible in my life, so it goes without saying that I have many questions sitting in the back of my mind. The main one being...just how water resistant are those cloth tops?....
I don't know. But I do know that between these two articles you, the owner, will know about everything that you will need to know about a rag top.

Hear is an interview with the Wolfstein guy. He explains how things came to be with their product. He also discusses vinyl top care. Remember that the SKY is fabric, Haartz Stayfast cloth topping to be precise.

Here is another article on how to care for the rag top.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a Volvo C70 convertible and never had a problem with the top. A good rain even tightened it up after it had dried out--giving it a nice, smooth contoured look. One word of advice though. Never store your top when it's wet or damp. Your back window will eventually loosen from the cloth. Take it from me. I know from experience...........:cool:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
My '71 Vette is a ragtop and my '90 YJ is obviously a ragtop - mesh top right now, but that is for summer driving. I have a couple of different tops for my Jeep and neither of them leak, and neither does my Vette (except at the seals which are totally shot - think I have mentioned a time or two I am getting ready to strip the Vette and restore it). I also had a '69 Buick Skylark ragtop, and the first top leaked, but it was rags. However, 3 years later it was gorgeous! Sky blue paint, snow white top and interior, sweet. Sold it when I bought the Vette. I could only tow one, and the Vette is a life long dream.

So, long answer short, a good ragtop won't leak.:thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 1999 Eclipse Spyder convertible and everytime it rains my car floods inside. I was told the whole top needs to be replaced because I never treated it in the 6 years I had it. I was told you should treat it every few years. There are a few companies that make products specifically for cloth tops, one being Ragg Topps. I am not sure if Saturn knows what would be best to do since it is their first convertible car, but maybe see if someones salesman can check into it. :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phishy said:
I have a 1999 Eclipse Spyder convertible and everytime it rains my car floods inside. I was told the whole top needs to be replaced because I never treated it in the 6 years I had it. I was told you should treat it every few years. There are a few companies that make products specifically for cloth tops, one being Ragg Topps. I am not sure if Saturn knows what would be best to do since it is their first convertible car, but maybe see if someones salesman can check into it. :)

YIKES!!! That's exactly what I was afraid of reading. :eek: So a cloth top DOES need to be treated in order to remain water-resistant??? :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts