Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 solstice GXP Turbo and am trying to find a silver flap. Knowing the Saturn and Solstice are identical in many ways I thought someone in here might know where i can find one. Dealers want $200 which is immoral.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Contact forum member Hoosier GXP. He has what you seek down to the finest piece of hardware. I know because I had two pairs of tulip doors and hardware (one set brand new perfect. The other set is a bit beat up "used" as pictured. I traded them to him for other things he had that I needed. He parts out Skys all the time. He is an excellent resource for all kinds of Sky Parts.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
The tulip panel flaps have been out of production for a decade. GM shut down Saturn and Pontiac and declared bankruptcy. They failed to pay many of their vendors, such as the makers of many of our custom parts. If you find a dealer who will sell you a tulip panel flap set with hardware for $200 that is a great price. Things are not costed according to what you believe is moral. They are priced based on what they cost the vendor and some profit.

I paid $110 each for spare flaps two years ago. I paid $250 to purchase three sets of tulip panels because they included the flaps and hardware.

The springs (two per tulip panel) were $18 each from GM before the bankruptcy. Now you cant get them.

The typical failure mode is the flaps get out of time with the top, the operator raises the top and the mechanism comes into contact with the flap, which results in the operator providing more force to raise the top and you have a bent hinge and / or a chipped or broken flap. My experience has been that nearly all the available stock has been bought and used so if you find a set buy them.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob The Elder: Thanks for this information. I just found out that all I need is a metal clip and I can repair the flap. Flap on passenger side is like new. Flap on drivers side is a bit chewed but serviceable. Just paid $17 for two of the red plastic clips on Ebay which solves half of my problem. I will let other Solstice owners know about the Sky Roadster website as it is a lifesaver.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contact forum member Hoosier GXP. He has what you seek down to the finest piece of hardware. I know because I had two pairs of tulip doors and hardware (one set brand new perfect. The other set is a bit beat up "used" as pictured. I traded them to him for other things he had that I needed. He parts out Skys all the time. He is an excellent resource for all kinds of Sky Parts.
View attachment 113141

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rjgramps: Thanks for the reply to my post. It's sad that we are at the mercy of those with solstice and Sky parts but that is life. When I bought my 2008 Solstice GXP Turbo it was with the dream that I keep it for life so I take great care of it. I have 82,000 miles on it and have only done a few major repairs: valve cover gasket, a/c fan assembly, 7 year battery, etc. I will contact forum member HoosierGXP if my current plan and parts do not solve the problem. Thanks again Sir!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The typical failure mode is the flaps get out of time with the top, the operator raises the top and the mechanism comes into contact with the flap, which results in the operator providing more force to raise the top and you have a bent hinge and / or a chipped or broken flap. My experience has been that nearly all the available stock has been bought and used so if you find a set buy them.
I bought a new tulip panel assembly from an eBay seller, paying $350 some months ago. The seller has since raised his price to $400. The unit arrived with a crack in the main piece so he sent me a second new one. I also bought his cracked one for a settled upon agreement of $100. So when I installed the good new one, my old one and the new cracked one were surplus parts to me. That's how I quickly went from "starving for parts" to "having so many parts". One bonus was that during the mild restoration, I managed to find all the tiny metal parts. My plastic cable end retainers were broken so I bought new ones on eBay to complete the two original door kits for resale purposes. But then Hoosier GXP contacted me and the rest is history.

The tulip is a critical assembly for a Sky to look nice, and mine had a few stone nicks along with messed-up doors. Paying $350 for a new assembly was a great value for the benefit in appearance. I replaced only silver-painted parts. The new lower black piece is up for sale on Craigslist.

Regarding your comment on damaging the two tulip doors, I learned a few things concerning that with my Sky.

- Make sure the top portion of the two tulip door cable sleeves are tightly secured into the upper notched forks. If they pop out easily, remove the sleeve, squeeze the fork tighter, then snap the sleeve back on for a tight fit.

- Make sure the two tulip door cables move freely inside the sleeves. Spray silicone lubricant in the sleeves for assurance.

- When installing my replacement convertible top assembly that I purchased from Hoosier GXP, I learned how to relieve unnecessary stress on the tulip doors. While mounting the convertible top on the car (3 nuts per side in the trunk), I lifted the top up while tightening which has roughly 1/4" of play. That 1/4" makes a huge difference for the tulip doors. I don't have a Solstice without a headliner to compare, but the headliner increases stress on the tulip doors when the top is up, so lifting the top when mounting it reduces that immensely.

Mikey 5844, you are very welcome.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rjgramps: You Sir are a wealth of knowledge (and experience). I read your message three times then copied it into a word document so I can follow your instructions. This information is priceless!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mikey5844,

Don't assume your convertible top assembly has that 1/4" play utilized incorrectly. I advise to inspect the relationship between the square holes of the convertible top mounting brackets to the threaded stems of the car body. If you are uncertain, I suggest to remove only one to determine where the stem is in relationship to the square hole. If one is good on that side of the car, then all 3 are good on that side. If you want to make an adjustment, do only one side at a time to retain the over-all alignment of the convertible top to the car body. I suspect most Skys and Solstices are already utilizing that 1/4" of play.

The large square holes in the convertible top mounting brackets make for a very sloppy fit, I assume to accommodate for inconsistencies in manufacturing the over-all vehicle. So if your convertible top is fitting and aligning fine, you don't want to mess up the relationship of the top to the car.

A misaligned top is very difficult to adjust properly. It affects everything from latching up front to the alignment of the front corner gaskets. Then heading rearward at the rubber-tray sides just rearward of the main doors, then to the flip-up rear buttresses. When I replaced my entire convertible top assembly, I had to start fresh, and my final result though good, is not perfect. I have to fuss a bit when latching the front of the convertible top to the windshield frame. Because the donor vehicle of my convertible top was in a rear end collision, I cannot rule out the possibility that the over-all contraption was affected in some way, be it very minor.

If your top is aligned well and has large washers behind the mounting brackets, leave them be. My original top did NOT have washers. My replacement top DID have them. I first tried the fit without them but in the end I used them.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rjgramps: My top does have the washers and I have very little trouble closing up the convertible top. Because of the small problem with the silver flap I have to jiggle the top as it goes into place but it latches up just fine. I ordered the red clips from EBay and will get them sometime during the second eek of August. Your word is gospel so I copy it all and paste into a Word document. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, albeit unlikely since you are a treasure trove of info, if there is anything you wish to know abought a 2008 Solstice GXP Turbo feel free to ask. I have the original owners manual which I downloaded into my laptop. Best regards Sir!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your top is aligned well and has large washers behind the mounting brackets, leave them be. My original top did NOT have washers. My replacement top DID have them. I first tried the fit without them but in the end I used them.
Ok I'm intrigued now, when you mentioned washers earlier I just assumed you were referring to the the washers mechanically attached to the nuts. However, now I see you are indicating they are behind the mounting brackets. Do you have any pictures of this? Are they just flat washers between the body and the mounting brackets?

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steveorama: I just went out to check on this and think I may have misunderstood rjgramps about the washers. I do not have a digital camera but if you tell me exactly where you want me to look I will and will tell you what I see with regards to the washers. We're all in thios together and I am retired so I am happy to oblige.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Are they just flat washers between the body and the mounting brackets?
Yes, yes, yes, and they are quite large, and close to 1/8" thick.
My 2007 plan-A top did not have them. When removing the top off the donor Sky at Hoosier GXPs house, it had those huge washers so I grabbed them. I originally did not use them in my Sky, but struggled with aligning the top to the car so I then installed them exactly like the donor Sky had, and it helped. I don't know the model year of the donor Sky but the top is a plan-B design. Maybe the washers work with a plan-B but not with a plan-A. I really don't know.

BTW: I am no authority on all this. I fumbled through trial and error, and I still am not 100% happy with the latching effort, but it does fit right and seals well.

One thing I did not mention is "Round 2", the alignment of the door glass to the replacement top. That is another topic all it's own. In my case, the door glass did not align properly to the original top (nor the windshield gasket) so it didn't align to the replacement either. I had my inside door panels off for other reasons so it wasn't that much work to include "door glass alignment" in the process.

I think one of the previous owners of my Sky took out the door glass to do a hodgepodge of a job on window tinting and alignment. Given the misalignment, it was easiest to remove the glass and clean off the badly rippled tint on my work bench. Here is a pic during the process. One is cleaned up, the other yet to be done. The bad rippling does not show in this picture but it was horrible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, and they are quite large, and close to 1/8" thick.
My 2007 plan-A top did not have them. When removing the top off the donor Sky at Hoosier GXPs house, it had those huge washers so I grabbed them. I originally did not use them in my Sky, but struggled with aligning the top to the car so I then installed them exactly like the donor Sky had, and it helped. I don't know the model year of the donor Sky but the top is a plan-B design. Maybe the washers work with a plan-B but not with a plan-A. I really don't know.
I'm still intrigued by this. Mine is a 2008 (manufactured late 2007) and had a plan b top from the factory, but didn't have any washers. I'm curious if this would help correct some of my alignment issues after my top swap (still a plan b)? Any pics of these washers though so I can try and procure some?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts