Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Sky Redline, automatic, currently stock (12/2021)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2009 redline it had black fender vent inserts. The vehicle is stock that I know of, no mods. It’s white with tan top, chrome rims, chrome handles, and accents.

Are the OEM fender vents silver or black?
Where could I get some silver OEM inserts for the fenders?

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
When I bought my 2009 redline it had black fender vent inserts. The vehicle is stock that I know of, no mods. It’s white with tan top, chrome rims, chrome handles, and accents.

As far as I know, the NA cars have body-color vents. My RL is black with silver vents, and I thought all of them had silver, but have not seen that documented. The light colors may be different.

Your best option may be to repaint what you have, as body parts are not usually easy to find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know, the NA cars have body-color vents. My RL is black with silver vents, and I thought all of them had silver, but have not seen that documented. The light colors may be different.

Your best option may be to repaint what you have, as body parts are not usually easy to find.
Ok thanks. I was not sure either. I just read a few posts about someone who just purchased some black vent fender inserts and wanted to swap out his “OEM” silver ones.
mare yours silver? If so could you send me a pic? I have found no good closeups. Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts

I've checked my Sky brochures and none of the 3 list the fender vents being different on the RL. However, I have never seen a RL without the silver inserts that came from the factory like that though. Additionally on base models the fender inserts were painted to match the body of the car. So unless you had a black car you wouldn't have black inserts either. Most likely a PO painted them or replaced them with black ones. Officially this is what the brochures listed as what was different on the RL vs the base.
  • Performance tuned Suspension
  • 18" polished wheels
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2 Tires
  • Front brake cooling vents
  • Digital turbo gauge and RL gauge cluster
  • Unique lower front grille and foglamp trim
  • Stainless steel high-flow exhaust with dual polished aluminum tips
  • Steering wheel audio controls
  • Stainless steel pedal covers and metallic door sill plates
  • Floor mats featuring RL embroidery
  • Leather seat inserts
  • Blackout headlamp bezels

·
Premium Member
4,335 Posts
When the factory stopped production there were a lot of vent inserts available. I bought a pair of carbon fiber black for the Dragon. They were available in many colors. Yellow, red, blue etc.

They are held in with 3M tape. You can apply a little heat and use a panel tool to remove them. Then you can paint them any color you want.

You can see the insert outside the fender here
07 08 09 10 SATURN SKY LEFT FRONT FENDER SIDE PANEL NEW GM | eBay

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, Redlines had silver inserts and base Sky's had inserts that matched the body color.

However, there were occasionally "mistakes" made at the factory - and some Skys got the wrong ones. Back when we had a good sized group of owners in the DFW area, there was one owner that actually had mis-matched ones, silver on one side and black on the other.

Some owners painted theirs (either silver or body color) as well.

Reactions: Cbar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've checked my Sky brochures and none of the 3 list the fender vents being different on the RL. However, I have never seen a RL without the silver inserts that came from the factory like that though. Additionally on base models the fender inserts were painted to match the body of the car. So unless you had a black car you wouldn't have black inserts either. Most likely a PO painted them or replaced them with black ones. Officially this is what the brochures listed as what was different on the RL vs the base.
  • Performance tuned Suspension
  • 18" polished wheels
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2 Tires
  • Front brake cooling vents
  • Digital turbo gauge and RL gauge cluster
  • Unique lower front grille and foglamp trim
  • Stainless steel high-flow exhaust with dual polished aluminum tips
  • Steering wheel audio controls
  • Stainless steel pedal covers and metallic door sill plates
  • Floor mats featuring RL embroidery
  • Leather seat inserts
  • Blackout headlamp bezels
Thanks for that input and the research!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my silver, three pedal, red interior 2008 RL on 7/5/2008. I had to fly from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta after calling every Saturn dealership in Florida and southern GA before I found a sliver RL that was not an automatic. But, back to the topic... all five of my front bumper area vents are black, as they were on the purchase date. My build date only says "03/08" maybe on a Friday???

·
Registered
695 Posts
I purchased my silver, three pedal, red interior 2008 RL on 7/5/2008. I had to fly from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta after calling every Saturn dealership in Florida and southern GA before I found a sliver RL that was not an automatic. But, back to the topic... all five of my front bumper area vents are black, as they were on the purchase date. My build date only says "03/08" maybe on a Friday???
Are you saying all of the front grilles are black on your car (circled in red)? If so then yes, those were black on both the RL and NA Skys. However, the NA Solstices had silver grilles and the GXP had black to differentiate them. If I understand correctly the OP was saying that their faux fender vents (circled in yellow) are black on a white car. To my knowledge these were either body matching painted on NA cars or silver on RL (unless of course the RL is silver than they would be both silver and body matching)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Are you saying all of the front grilles are black on your car (circled in red)? If so then yes, those were black on both the RL and NA Skys. However, the NA Solstices had silver grilles and the GXP had black to differentiate them. If I understand correctly the OP was saying that their faux fender vents (circled in yellow) are black on a white car. To my knowledge these were either body matching painted on NA cars or silver on RL (unless of course the RL is silver than they would be both silver and body matching) View attachment 117597
Yes the area in the fender (in yellow circle is black). I just contacted the PO and he advised he replaced the fenders. I think that is why they are black. I guess I can pull them out and paint them silver/chrome or find some origin RL ones.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes the area in the fender (in yellow circle is black). I just contacted the PO and he advised he replaced the fenders. I think that is why they are black. I guess I can pull them out and paint them silver/chrome or find some origin RL ones.
That's what I thought you were saying. You can remove the fender vents and paint them if you desire, the color is light tarnished silver metallic 994L. Same as the windshield surround and tulip panel. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo if you have one though. I imagine the black actually looks pretty good there. I personally am not a huge fan of the silver paint accents that GM decided to put all over the car.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
...... I personally am not a huge fan of the silver paint accents that GM decided to put all over the car.
You can thank the Solstice and its 1960s British sports car influences, with the silver windshield surround being an homage to the brushed aluminum used on those cars.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can thank the Solstice and its 1960s British sports car influences, with the silver windshield surround being an homage to the brushed aluminum used on those cars.
I get why they did the silver on the Solstice windshield frame trying to mimic the metal windshield frames of the 60s and it was just a production carry over onto the Sky, but why the Sky silver center console and silver fender vents? Either way I'm not really a fan, the Chrysler Crossfire did the same and I also didn't really like it there either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I thought you were saying. You can remove the fender vents and paint them if you desire, the color is light tarnished silver metallic 994L. Same as the windshield surround and tulip panel. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo if you have one though. I imagine the black actually looks pretty good there. I personally am not a huge fan of the silver paint accents that GM decided to put all over the car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

This is the only pic from an angle that shows the vent

·
Registered
695 Posts
View attachment 117632

This is the only pic from an angle that shows the vent
OK that looks pretty good actually. What's funny is now seeing this photo I remember this car from the FB group. I recall you purchasing it and the PO sharing photos while they owned it in Houston. The best part is I never noticed the black fender inserts the whole time and had to go back and look at the previous photos to make sure and sure enough, yup they've always been there. Just goes to show you they don't stand out at all.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
85 Posts
I get why they did the silver on the Solstice windshield frame trying to mimic the metal windshield frames of the 60s and it was just a production carry over onto the Sky, but why the Sky silver center console and silver fender vents? Either way I'm not really a fan, the Chrysler Crossfire did the same and I also didn't really like it there either.
Just one of the reasons I chose specifically to find and buy a silver sky ... Otherwise I would have likely had he accents painted to match the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts