Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new and haven't posted much so please forgive me if I mess up. I asked my salesman about protecting the paint on my beeeeooootiful midnight blue RL that is coming, but is still sitting at event code 3000, and he said that the car could be simonized. I haven't got the slightest idea what that means, but I did take a look at the claying that some have done to their skys, and they have turned out great! Does anyone know if you should do one, (simonize or clay) or both? Is it just redundant? I'm so confused:willy:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new and haven't posted much so please forgive me if I mess up. I asked my salesman about protecting the paint on my beeeeooootiful midnight blue RL that is coming, but is still sitting at event code 3000, and he said that the car could be simonized. I haven't got the slightest idea what that means, but I did take a look at the claying that some have done to their skys, and they have turned out great! Does anyone know if you should do one, (simonize or clay) or both? Is it just redundant? I'm so confused:willy:
Sinonize is a brand name of wax. Old wax. I'm sure there are a lot of things that are a lot better. I like Nanowax. You will probably get at least 10 or 15 opinions of what is best.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Remember the movie, Christmas Story? The dad gets a can of Simonize Wax for his present! It was antique wax when I was using it in 1979 on my 69 Cougar!! It was a hard buff on, buff off wax.

If you do a thread search on Wax and Polish - you'll get plenty of advice. I recently read thru it all and still didn't have a clear answer for myself.

I finally went to Wikipedia and searched auto detailing, waxing, polishing, sealing and clay bar. (I just needed it put in real basic definitions!!) If the lingo is confusing to you, I'd suggest going there first and then searching the threads. Good luck!
Carlie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hhmmmm...... It sure didn't sound like it was just wax when I talked to my salesman. He made it sound like it was a process that bonded with the clear coat. Me thinks I'm being bamboozled:skep:

·
Registered
877 Posts
"being bamboozled"

:agree:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually they do have a new Simoniz paint protection sealant/coating with Teflon. I have no idea how effective it is at what it claims but it's definately not the same thing as the old wax paste. I probably wouldn't pay much for it myself but I can be a skeptic. :rolleyes:

http://www.simonizusa.com/demoend.asp

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
whatever protection you would gain from that stuff, can be done cheaper with regular applications of car wax from the store.

I'd skip it and just do it yourself.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Clay and wax the car and get the 3m clear bra for the front. Thats what I am planning to do & what I would recommend for you as well.

Blue

:willy: Waiting by the phone...due any time now.:willy:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It's only a money maker for the Dealer. It's wax, . Take it home and do it yourself. And if yours is going by train you should probably clay bar. I use Zaino it worked great.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I clay, polish, then seal. You will get many opinions from everyone here. Most use different products to basically get to the same place, which is Cleaning and Shining up our Skys. Here I'll post the url of where I buy all my stuff. Since they basically sell many different products, many that some use here, some you won't find at auto stores. http://www.autogeek.net/

Scrolling down the left side, box#8, they have a information page on how to "Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks". <<<If you read this, you'll be very well informed & you can then make decisions on how and what to use for your sky. They also give info on the different products and options AND costs etc.
Stay away from the dealers stuff overpriced and you'll still will need to protect your finish anyways. Oh yea, I highly recommend the 3M clear bra--:thumbs:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you ALL for your comments. I am tempted to order a **force field** from the USS Enterprise :D Sounds like I am going to like the clay/wax action the best. Of course, I still have plenty of time to do more research:rolleyes: heh.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you ALL for your comments. I am tempted to order a **force field** from the USS Enterprise :D QUOTE]

And don't forget photon torpedoes for those really SLOW drivers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
clear film options

Lots of good info here. Once you finish getting the car's surface detailed to your satisfaction you should seriously consider a clear bra product. You still need to make a decision on which product to use and which areas of your car to protect. There are differences among these products, do your homework, don't just choose one. 3m is good, others are also. The quality, prices and installation methods all vary substantially. Take your time, don't just jump, do it thoughtfully.-bird

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts