Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sir-gm1

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  USFJoseph 
#1 · (Edited)
SIR-GM1 (Update: Does Not Work)

UPDATE: The SIR-GM1 does not work with the 2007 Saturn Sky. Please see post #22 for more details

======================================================================================================================================================
So the SIR-GM1 unit is finally shipping. Has anyone ordered or received theirs yet? If you've recieved it how did the replacement go? Do you maintain the steering wheel controls? display information?

Also, where is the XM module located? Is it easy to get out?

#2 ·
USFJoseph said:
So the SIR-GM1 unit is finally shipping. Has anyone ordered or received theirs yet? If you've recieved it how did the replacement go? Do you maintain the steering wheel controls? display information?

Also, where is the XM module located? Is it easy to get out?
Huhhh???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

#5 ·
richmcc said:
This is the satellite converter to change from XM to Sirius. I did find one person who claims they installed it and it was a piece of cake here...

I'll be looking into it once I get my Sky... :thumbs:

#6 · (Edited)
$99 at www.crutchfield.com

GASMAN said:
The SIR-GM1 conversion kit is now available! I just installed one into my CTS-V and it works perfectly! I have an additional unit for my Solstice when it arrives home from Mallett. The best part about the SIR-GM1 is that it just replaces the factory XM unit and uses the factory XM antenna.

If the factory stereo in your 2003-up General Motors vehicle is satellite radio-ready, you now have the option of adding a SIRIUS radio.
This package includes everything that's necessary for you to play SIRIUS through your compatible factory stereo: a SIRIUS radio, a roof-mount antenna, and the adapter cable that connects the radio to your stereo.
You can mount the compact radio easily in a convenient spot behind the dash. The adapter cable hooks up to the radio at one end, and to your factory stereo at the other, providing all signal and power connections

#7 ·
Good to know the option is there now. I personally don't notice much difference in the services other than sports offerings but I know a lot of people gripe about not getting Sirius through their factory stereos. I noticed it comes with an antenna... does that mean it can't use the XM one?

I hope some Sky owner posts a testimonial soon.

#8 ·
Questionable on using the XM antenna -- I've heard of people who say it's a direct swap. But if it isn't there is an adapter out there so that it can use the XM antenna.

Only problem I have is when I just went to order one Crutchfield says "This item does not work with your factory stereo." for the 2007 Saturn Sky. I wonder if they haven't updated yet or if it really isn't compatible?

#9 ·
USFJoseph said:
Questionable on using the XM antenna -- I've heard of people who say it's a direct swap. But if it isn't there is an adapter out there so that it can use the XM antenna.

Only problem I have is when I just went to order one Crutchfield says "This item does not work with your factory stereo." for the 2007 Saturn Sky. I wonder if they haven't updated yet or if it really isn't compatible?
It maybe that it is not updated. A banner comes up when I am on Crutchfield that says they have not researched the Sky yet.

#11 ·
Robotech said:
My question is are the Monsoon systems Satellite ready if we didn't order the XM package? I have the single disk Monsoon and it sure looks satellite ready but I don't know for certain. Would make sense that it is.
RPO "U2K' XM SATELITERADIO - SERVICE......199.00

would be on your window sticker & options codes

#12 ·
USFJoseph said:

So you willing to be the tester for Crutchfield? :D

#14 ·
Robotech said:
My question is are the Monsoon systems Satellite ready if we didn't order the XM package? I have the single disk Monsoon and it sure looks satellite ready but I don't know for certain. Would make sense that it is.
For the Solstice, the XM option required the second tier radio. Monsoon was an option on top of that.

The radio tiers for the Solstice were
  • base model w/ CD player AM/FM stereo
  • CD player with MP3 capability AM/FM stereo XM capability
  • 6 disk indash MP3 CD AM/FM stereo XM capability
I don't know what the specific options for the Sky were, but if they are using the same head units, then you might need the middle tier or higher radio.

#15 ·
Crutchfield gives a different message when you try with a Solstice- it says the SIR-GM1 isn't compatible. I would imagine this means they've researched the Solstice and, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

#16 ·
Crutchfield says:

The Saturn sky hasn't been researched yet, and the tuner is made for
2003-2006 vehicles. It may turn out that it may work perfectly for the vehicle, but we will have to wait until we get some more information on the vehicle the determine that. I wish I had better news. If Saturn doesn't change their interface for the 2007 year model, there is a good chance it will work for you. If you would like to try it, we do have a 30 day return policy just in case. You can find the tuner at this link:
So I've placed my order. Hopefully will get it soon and let everyone know if it works or not. Anyone know where the XM unit is in the Sky??

Joseph

#18 ·
It's in! With the help of a forum member I also found where the XM module is located. It's in the trunk on the right hand side underneath the grey "carpeting". It's right behind the wheel well.

Anyone that has their Sky -- would you mind taking a look at this? How would you suggest to get it out? It looks like the XM unit is connected to the metal bracket by 4 screws/nuts underneath the bracket. The bracket is held on by the two screws/nuts. Only thing I can think of is to take off that metal bracket to unscrew the XM unit. I'm afraid though if I take off those nuts holding on the metal bracket I'll lose the screw into the quarter panel unless I'm really really careful not to let go. ;)

Any other insight is appreciated. Once I start I'll take pictures the entire way to update with install instructions.

#21 ·
I would really like to think that this would work with the Kappa cars, but unfortunately I think Crutchfield is right. Here is an excerpt from the install manual for SIR-GM1:

Vehicles must be GM Class-2 Bus compliant and the headunits must have a BAND button or Direct XM selection to be compatible. Some of the 2006 vehicles listed may have transitioned to
the GM -LAN bus mid year - which are not compatible with the SIR-GM1.
There was some discussion earlier that the Kappa car ran the newer LAN bus and that is why it is not compatible. What really sucks is that GM is switching all their cars over to LAN bus, so this thing is going to be useless for even more 2007 GMs.

I'm still hoping they will fix this soon.....

#22 ·
JimmyMood said:
I would really like to think that this would work with the Kappa cars, but unfortunately I think Crutchfield is right. Here is an excerpt from the install manual for SIR-GM1:

There was some discussion earlier that the Kappa car ran the newer LAN bus and that is why it is not compatible. What really sucks is that GM is switching all their cars over to LAN bus, so this thing is going to be useless for even more 2007 GMs.

I'm still hoping they will fix this soon.....
JimmyMood:

You are correct. I knew the Solstice used the new GM-LAN bus but was hoping the Sky didn't make the switch yet. Looks like it did though. :(

The SIR-GM1 does not work with the Sky at this time. I just went through a temporary installation and did not receive anything but AM/FM. :(

Hopefully they'll get the SIR-GM1 updated for newer editions soon. In the meantime we're stuck with XM :(

Joseph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.