Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMeNjLE_4Oc

That is me playing in my FJ a few years ago.

This is what happens when you do it wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWJa6FC7-E

It is at quite and angle, and quite a few go over backwards. FJ's have an advantage of being wider and just a little longer wheel base.

Way more exciting then Sky/Solstice runs!!!!

Jeeps are great vehicles, but I like the reliability of the Toyota, plus you can beat the heck out of and still drive it 100MPH on the highway.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was gonna raz you and ask you where your SFA is, but you got me on the reliabilty and the 100 MPH comments, but hey, that's what the Sol is for. I still wouldn't trade in my jeep. Unfortunately, EVERYONE has a JK now:nonod:

I do like the crew chief though, and the shortcut

Bert

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
My FJ has done the Rubicon, Claw Hammer, Kokopellei, White Eagle, Top of the World, Hells Revenge, Tin Bender, Hells Gate, Escalator and Carvacre/Pancake rock, not to mention many hours/days at Johnson Valley and Anza Borego. It is quite competent. Thought about going straight axle, but drove a few of them in competition, where they work flawlessly, but daily driving, the FJ is a much better /[pleasant vehicle. Too bad they could not get enough gas mileage out of it. Now another dodo bird, like our cars!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love Jeeps, always have. Owned one for about 10 years and loved it. But eventually the repair cost outweighed the value of the vehicle and I moved on to the Vue. I like my Vue. Fully loaded and is very comfortable to drive and has been SUPER reliable in the 12 years I've owned it. But it's not a Jeep and the one time I took it off-road I paid for it. Literally. Did the job, but there were some unfortunate consequences. One day I will own another Jeep. And the Jeep pickups have been getting my attention quite a bit lately. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
This thing appears to be just too big to really be a trail vehicle. More for desert type stuff, which Moab really is. Has obstacles, but very few overhangs and narrow trails. Too long to make switch backs, but again the people that really know what works did away with the manual transmission.

Jeep Commanders have their National Convention in Ouray about the same time we have ours. Rarely do you see one on Black Bear, and the normal look in their eye. Is, Oh my gawd what have I done?

Desert trucks, is what this is pointed at, still have the break down history to deal with. Getting a part for anything like it would be a nightmare if they did build it.

But what it is and what it was designed for it would be a ball, but on real serious trails, shelf roads, overhangs, switch backs, I think it would be a massive fail. All show, No go.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
It's nice, but it would get destroyed in rock crawling. The TJ with a 3" wheelbase stretch is IMHO just about perfect for the numerous types of 4wheeling you can do. I had lots of fun with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts