Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the new engine is in the car. Curtis made the changes that need to be made for sensor to work and removed the electric power steering parts. There is a slight chance that it will be drive able this weekend, nearly two years after the installation of the Happy meal. Will be fun to drive, not worrying about all the strange and horrific sounds that came from the last engine. This one will remain stock other than the canned tune from Trifecta. i put 15 K on the old engine and never had a code. Hoping that my luck returns to that and I can truly enjoy the car again.

Also the new front bumper with the european splitter has been painted, the new PAW large radiator has arrived. All that will be installed shortly. I plan on working on it this Sunday.

Thanks for all the help from many of you. In the end it was just best to buy a crate engine and start over.

Have really missed not being able to drive the car, and have lost some interest, but pretty sure the first trip up 243 after break in will revive my love for it.

Again thanks to everyone that gave suggetions ideas and hope.

One other note, my eyes are beginning to fail from glaucoma. If the rate continues the car will most likely be for sale in the spring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
skersfan,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and felt your pain as you have tried to work through the issues with that beautiful car. I am extremely happy for you that you will once again have her back on the road. After all you have been through, I'm saying a little prayer that your eyes stay healthy enough for you to have many more years of enjoyment! Have a very happy holiday season!

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Well the new engine is in the car. Curtis made the changes that need to be made for sensor to work and removed the electric power steering parts. There is a slight chance that it will be drive able this weekend, nearly two years after the installation of the Happy meal. Will be fun to drive, not worrying about all the strange and horrific sounds that came from the last engine. This one will remain stock other than the canned tune from Trifecta. i put 15 K on the old engine and never had a code. Hoping that my luck returns to that and I can truly enjoy the car again.

Also the new front bumper with the european splitter has been painted, the new PAW large radiator has arrived. All that will be installed shortly. I plan on working on it this Sunday.

Thanks for all the help from many of you. In the end it was just best to buy a crate engine and start over.

Have really missed not being able to drive the car, and have lost some interest, but pretty sure the first trip up 243 after break in will revive my love for it.

Again thanks to everyone that gave suggetions ideas and hope.

One other note, my eyes are beginning to fail from glaucoma. If the rate continues the car will most likely be for sale in the spring.

I'm glad you are getting it up and running but sorry to hear about your vision. Just horrible to hear. If you ever need anything sir, I'm a phone call away.

·
Registered
17,354 Posts
I think it isn't your vision....someone told me you are playing with yourself :grin::wink: Hope all fares well Bob. Maybe a Florida trip will be in your future....perhaps.

·
Registered
742 Posts
One other note, my eyes are beginning to fail from glaucoma.
So sorry to hear this, I hope you can shake this...…….

Terry
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it is running yet. I never made it to Pass Auto today. Worked on a tower in the rain and snow for 8 hours. Curt may have finished it. Don't know. Supposed to be in the 70's the next week, so may get to play with it a little.

Unfortunately Glaucoma is something you don't recover from. The damage is done and it does not heal. You can only protect what you haven't lost.

I never knew I had it until I had lost quite a bit of vision in my left eye. I truly suggest to everyone, that they be tested it for it. It sneaks up on you, the other eye compensates for the loss. I only found out because California requires an eye test for renewal at 65. Have been fighting it ever since. I did get a better reading from the doctor last week. Pressure is down due to changing medication. Will know more on the 29th. But again, have your eyes checked. It is a quick moving disease and can not be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
5,303 Posts
Age sucks.
Not ageing sucks worse.
Unfortunately Glaucoma is something you don't recover from. The damage is done and it does not heal. You can only protect what you haven't lost.

I never knew I had it until I had lost quite a bit of vision in my left eye. I truly suggest to everyone, that they be tested it for it. It sneaks up on you, the other eye compensates for the loss. I only found out because California requires an eye test for renewal at 65. Have been fighting it ever since. I did get a better reading from the doctor last week. Pressure is down due to changing medication. Will know more on the 29th. But again, have your eyes checked. It is a quick moving disease and can not be fixed.
Excellent advice. Glad you seem to be getting a handle on controlling it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dang, hate to hear that. My Redline is actually my wifes car, but about a year ago, Macular Degeneration started taking her sight and now with one eye blind and the other going, she cannot drive anymore. It broke her heart to quit driving the Redline,

I have started an organization that will be turned into a 501c3 in the near future. I found that there is little coordination between the vendors, state organizations and Federal programs for the visually impaired. It made me so mad when I was trying to find help for my wife that I decided an organization to get everyone talking to each other was needed.

I have lots of solutions to the problems but no cures. If you are interested in communicating with me, my email address is [email protected] Been wondering if I could transplant a Tesla control system into the Redline....LOL:cheers:

Hope things go well for you.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jim.

Well the Skpel is running, and sounds smooth as glass. I have RE 71R's on the car and it has been below 50 degrees for a few days. I guess it is not good for them driving at temps under 60. Supposed to warm up Wednesday, so hopefully will get to drive it around some. I want to put 500 miles on before I truly drive it on 243. Which is exciting as CalTrans has just resurfaced it for over 30 miles of twisties. My vision is still good enough to drive, and hopefully will get to enjoy the car for awhile. @Robotech knows the road, it is so fun to drive in one of these cars. And it is a beautiful time of year here, trees are still turning, snow in the mountains, blue skies and a snappy yellow sports car passing thru!!!!!
i

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Thanks Jim.

Well the Skpel is running, and sounds smooth as glass. I have RE 71R's on the car and it has been below 50 degrees for a few days. I guess it is not good for them driving at temps under 60. Supposed to warm up Wednesday, so hopefully will get to drive it around some. I want to put 500 miles on before I truly drive it on 243. Which is exciting as CalTrans has just resurfaced it for over 30 miles of twisties. My vision is still good enough to drive, and hopefully will get to enjoy the car for awhile. @Robotech knows the road, it is so fun to drive in one of these cars. And it is a beautiful time of year here, trees are still turning, snow in the mountains, blue skies and a snappy yellow sports car passing thru!!!!!
i
Glad to hear this skersfan! You can drive on those tires in that temp but don't push them. You won't have as much grip as normal. Is 243 open now? It is a fun road to drive. Heated up my Wilwoods pretty good coming downhill on it before they closed it.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is new top to bottom. Absolutely beautiful road. Cal Trans calls it iis state of the art. Recessed reflectors down the center, plastic stripes, no longer painted, bright side white lines. 31 million bucks on it I guess. Hope to drive it tomorrow.

I read somewhere that diving the tires under 60 degrees actually damages the sidewall, and destroys the tires. I know I have driven them when it is cold and they are rough as heck, and it never seems to go away.

·
Super Moderator
5,303 Posts
My understanding is that serious loss of traction occurs below 45F, and actual damage (even from just rolling the car around the garage) is probable at or below 32F.

If they have been sitting they will be flat-spotted, and may not round out if it is cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
I drove on them in 40 and 50 degree temps but they were not happy. The 9 year old F1s had similar grip as the RE-71Rs in those temps. Even in the 60s they are not ideal. They like 70+ temps. This and their cost is the primary reason I don't run them as daily driven tires.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The temperatures that cause damage are lower than what we have here according to google. John is close the magic number. It says moving them around in the garage at 20 degrees can ruin them. GM has a warning out on them (summer tires). The damage they do to the paint is my main reason for getting another set of tires. I will keep these for auto cross if I ever do it. Going to put another set if Falkens on it once I start driving it. Got called into work today, and have work thru Friday so I won't get to play with it until Saturday it appears.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I was just involved in this discussion on a different forum.

TireRack's website has this information for the tires I run, IE: ExtremeContact Sport.

Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Fortunately I have a heated garage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts