Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw on AOL News that Forbes.com released a list of cars favored by men and a list of those favored by women. According to them, the Sky is a womans car. 54.6% of those sold have been purchased by women. I beg to differ with their figures. Just by looking at the sex of the members on this and other Sky forums, men outnumber the ladies by a VERY wide margin. Could it be that women don't own computers? Among the "mens cars" are the various Benz AMG's and BMW's...all at well over 100 grand. The Viper is also a mans car. No mention of the Vette. Does that mean neither sex purchases them? Biggest bunch of BS I have ever read !!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
54.6% ??? In the general population, women outnumber men by a few percent. Seems to me to be close to an even split.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I agree..... my husband made an observation at the DG show....... so many people asked him what he has to say about the car.... the forum.... the SKY issues... and what show he will next go to... he just replied..... It is MY WIFES car.... i bought it for her.... you will need to ask Teri about that...... it seemed that to him... AND THIS WAS ONLY HIS OBSERVATION.... that the majority of the SKYs.. we bought by and for MALES...... Where does this article come up with these things..... UGH..... i think we should do our own.. and send it to them..... Tell them HOW THINGS REALLY ARE.... lol....... AGAIN... JUST MY OPINION AND MY HUBBY OBSERVATION...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
692 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I just saw on AOL News that Forbes.com released a list of cars favored by men and a list of those favored by women. According to them, the Sky is a womans car. 54.6% of those sold have been purchased by women. I beg to differ with their figures. Just by looking at the sex of the members on this and other Sky forums, men outnumber the ladies by a VERY wide margin. Could it be that women don't own computers? Among the "mens cars" are the various Benz AMG's and BMW's...all at well over 100 grand. The Viper is also a mans car. No mention of the Vette. Does that mean neither sex purchases them? Biggest bunch of BS I have ever read !!!
Forbes hasn't a clue. I work with folks who all own Lexus 430's, Z's, BMW's (Z3-Z4's) G35's etc. There isn't a single one of them that isn't impressed with the look and want's to see my Sky when it comes in. Their comments are without exception "Wow!".
I'd say the evaluator for Forbes better re-evaluate his position or get off his duff and take this car for a drive with his gal. Either that or seek another line of work!

Imaged 23/06/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
482 Posts
Our SKY is for my wifes birthday, so our SKY is a girls car........if Maverick is lucky Mrs. Maverick will let him drive it, with adult suprevision that is.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I bought this for Jack's birthday - so while I'm no doubt listed first, he is also on the title. Wonder how they'd categorize us? :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
That article came out a while back and the thread went for a while and yes it started a flame war... Skip....he knows.... he remembers...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it's a cool little car, but I would guess that it draws a large female crowd because it's small and "cute"...and doesn't really get a woman in trouble, as far as controlling its RWD power, so to speak.
Whereas women that buy convertible Vettes, Z's, and Cobras tend to wreck them due to too much RWD power.
I've seen it...and it's not pretty.

I wanted a Sky when i saw the brochure, but decided i might look awkward at 6'2" in such a small car.

Kind of a "Miata-Syndrome" thing.
LOL.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Zulu said:
I think it's a cool little car, but I would guess that it draws a large female crowd because it's small and "cute"...and doesn't really get a woman in trouble, as far as controlling its RWD power, so to speak.
Whereas women that buy convertible Vettes, Z's, and Cobras tend to wreck them due to too much RWD power.
I've seen it...and it's not pretty.

I wanted a Sky when i saw the brochure, but decided i might look awkward at 6'2" in such a small car.

Kind of a "Miata-Syndrome" thing.
LOL.
6'2"?
How'd you shoehorn yourself into a 240Z then?:lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whenever I walk into a dealership, they assume my boyfriend is the one interested. Several times he's had to say the car is for me. One dealership pissed me off because the GM kept talking to him instead of me even after we told him I was buying the car.

Reminds me of when I bought my first car, and the salesman kept talking to my dad about the car because he didn't think I was old enough to afford a car on my own. Needless to say I didn't buy from that dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
StarlightSky said:
6'2"?
How'd you shoehorn yourself into a 240Z then?:lol:
I take it, from this comment, that you've never been in a 240Z, yes?

It's quite roomy actually.

Which is why I don't understand Saturn/Mazda/Honda/etc...can't seem to build a lightweight 2-seater that can accomodate those of us over 6 feet.

While I am quite uncomfortable in the Sky, Solstice, S2000, and especially the Elise...I have plenty of room in a 240Z that was made in the 70's...and it's lighter than any of the above cars listed.
(With the exception of the Elise maybe)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zulu said:
I take it, from this comment, that you've never been in a 240Z, yes?

It's quite roomy actually.

Which is why I don't understand Saturn/Mazda/Honda/etc...can't seem to build a lightweight 2-seater that can accomodate those of us over 6 feet.

While I am quite uncomfortable in the Sky, Solstice, S2000, and especially the Elise...I have plenty of room in a 240Z that was made in the 70's...and it's lighter than any of the above cars listed.
(With the exception of the Elise maybe)
In 2006, I imagine a 240Z would even weigh less than an Elise....with the rusting out problem they were noted for, by now not much could be left of one !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Way2Fast said:
In 2006, I imagine a 240Z would even weigh less than an Elise....with the rusting out problem they were noted for, by now not much could be left of one !!
As retarded as this comment is....I hate to report it is also true for most examples of Datsun you find these days.
Rust is a b!tch.

Fortunately, I got a good deal on a rust-less Z from a friend of the family and have restored mine to pretty much new condition.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
ShowGal said:
Whenever I walk into a dealership, they assume my boyfriend is the one interested. Several times he's had to say the car is for me. One dealership pissed me off because the GM kept talking to him instead of me even after we told him I was buying the car.

Reminds me of when I bought my first car, and the salesman kept talking to my dad about the car because he didn't think I was old enough to afford a car on my own. Needless to say I didn't buy from that dealership.
GOOD FOR YOU..... that has happened to me too.... and the last time i was in to buy a vehicle other than a car... it was a dirt bike..... i was in there with my boyfriend..and the salesguy wouldnt even look at me when he was talking... he just kept explaining things to my bf..... OMG... it ticked me off.... the odd thing was.. my bf at the time DIDNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO RIDE A BIKE.... so, when he wheeled the SUZUKI RM125 out of the doors for the test drive.... i went to hold it up before getting on it.. and he said...OH NO.... IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THE INTENDED BUYER GETS ON IT AND TRIES IT.. THIS IS EXPENSIVE.... i just hopped on it and took off on the track.... HE WAS BLOWN AWAY..... i bet he didnt ignore or talk down to a FEMALE after that day..... i even paid for it with cash..... he was speechless..... i hate how condesending MEN... and some WOMEN can be for that matter..... Ugh.. ok.... rambling..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
727 Posts
Way2Fast said:
Well, I think there tends to be more men than women on any car enthusiast forum. At least all the ones I have ever been on. That said, there seems to be a higher percentage of women on this forum than most others (including Solsticeforum).

Here is my take. I think the Sky appeals to women more than the Solstice does. That certainly doesn't necessarily make it a "women's" car. It just means it is popular among women. It is also obviously popular among men.

If 546 out of every 1000 buyers are women, that still means the other 454 are men. That is close to even, and this early in production it could also be nothing more than a statistical anomoly.

It's just an awesome looking car. Drive it if you like it! There is no need for forbes to stereotype the car.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Who cares, just love the car

Another one of those guy car girl car arguments... goes right along with young person old person car threads, It does not matter, young or old, man or woman if you love the car you love the car.. period... :thumbs:

·
Registered
154 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Another one of those guy car girl car arguments... goes right along with young person old person car threads, It does not matter, young or old, man or woman if you love the car you love the car.. period... :thumbs:

Thank you! I could not agree more!! Kind of rehashing old threads.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts