Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of a Chili Pepper Red Sky on 9 June '07. I've been disappointed
every since. Within 1 hour after receiving my Sky, I returned to the dealer to pick-up my CD's I left in the car (Toyota Celicia GTS) that I traded for the SKY. I shut the engine off and the car wouldn't start again (dead battery). I've also have had to have the ON STAR modular and passanger seat air bag modular installed within the past 2 weeks after both of them were DOA.

It's been nice and cool up until a couple of days ago. I turned on the Air Conditioner for the first time on the way home from work. It felt great and COLD until I speeded up to pass another car on the free way and the compressor shut off, as soon as I returned to normal speed the air got cold again. It then started to cycle between cold and cool every so often but not related to the speed I was driving. A friend of mine owns his own service center and I had him check the air. He advised the vent was putting out 40 degrees until the engine was raced then the compressor turned off. He check the charge and found at idle it was holding 28 to 29 PSI but would drop to less than 20 PSI when the engine was raced, and then the compressor would shut down. I returned to the dealer and was advised after they check the air conditioner that it was OK. I believe I'm getting jerked around as I've never owned another vehicle that did the same thing. Has anyone else had an air conditioner problem with the compressor turning on and off every 5 to 10 minutes???

Any info would be helpful as I'm concerned the dealer doesn't know that much about repairing the SKY!!!!

UTCCOP

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
When you go full throttle (or pretty close to it) the compressor WILL disengage. It does this because, if you are pressing down on that pedal all the way that makes it go VROOM it thinks that you want 100% power. Well, an A/C compressor that's engaged will take some of your power away. So the computer, when you run (close) to WOT will disengage the compressor to give you 100% power.

Many cars including my Grand Prix GTP will do this...some it is more obvious than others and this is especially true I've noticed with the Sky.

So too seems to be the fluctuation in temp at other speeds...but that could also just be me because, again, after a while it stays pretty cold unless I go WOT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air Conditioner

Hey Robotech,

I was told the same thing by the service tech at Saturn. I just don't understand why no other vehicle I've owned Miata, Celica GTS, older 240Z, RX7, Dodge Colt, or even my G35 do the same thing. Both the Miata, Celica,Dodge Colt and the older 240z had smaller engines and less horse power than the SKY. I'll take that back the GTS was a 1.8 engine but did have 180 horses. It does sound logical that the compressor would shut down when you use the WOT but while driving on the freeway using the cruise control at a steady 65mph. What would be the purpose of the compressor cycling back and forth off and on? I'm just so discouraged with the SKY I intend to get rid of it with 400 miles on it. I've thought about getting the ACURA, HONDA SI and even another Miata. I drove the SI the other day and found it to be great on cornering, take off and just road feel. It does ride a little more harsh that the SKY but to get the reliability of the HONDA I'd be willing to give up how great the SKY looks.

Thanks again for your reply,
UTCCOP

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
UTCCOP said:
I took delivery of a Chili Pepper Red Sky on 9 June '07.
Maybe the compressor disengaged so the Flux Capacitor could get its full 1.21 gigawatts. Are you running a plutonium reactor or a Mr. Fusion? I'm still saving mod money- any tips on predicting lightning strikes would be much appreciated!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
UTCCOP said:
It does sound logical that the compressor would shut down when you use the WOT but while driving on the freeway using the cruise control at a steady 65mph. What would be the purpose of the compressor cycling back and forth off and on?
I am thinking it is happening when you were going up-hill. At that point, even though you are still on cruise, the throttle opens up to get the power needed to stay at 65... without dropping down to 60 or less as may be the case in a non-compensating Civic.

I have had my current Saturn for 7 years and I had one before with no AC. My current one does not compensate... if I need WOT and have AC on it looses power. I would rather it the way the SKY is which is loose the full on AC for a few seconds... much better then slowing down while starting to go up a steep hill.

Hope you see which one it is on your next car... it will be one or the other.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like you can't like it because it's not Japanese.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Once engaged, the compressor clutch will be disengaged for the following conditions:

• Throttle position is 100 percent for 10 seconds.

• A/C high side pressure is more than 2951 kPa (428 psi) and will re-engage once the pressure drops below 2068 kPa (300 psi).

• A/C high side pressure is less than 310 kPa (44 psi).

• Evaporator temperature is less than 0°C (32°F)

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 123°C (253°F).

• Engine speed is less than 475 RPM.

• Engine speed is more than 6000 RPM.

• PCM detects excessive torque load.

• PCM detects insufficient idle quality.

Sanden PXV16 service compressors are mainly used in saab. Try digging around a saab forum and see if you can find anything

·
Registered
198 Posts
I, too, have had problems with my air conditioner from the beginning. Mine does what was described - start blowing out warmer air even when my foot is off the gas (not on cruise control). That isn't what bothers me. My A/C makes these horrible moans and noises! It sounds like a UFO. The service center has checked it out and did everything on the service bulletin. However, nothing has changed - it has actually gotten worse. They are supposed to contact me when a solution has been found. That was a month ago! I'm about to take it back and tell them to just put a whole new compressor in!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
NC Sky said:
I, too, have had problems with my air conditioner from the beginning. Mine does what was described - start blowing out warmer air even when my foot is off the gas (not on cruise control). That isn't what bothers me. My A/C makes these horrible moans and noises! It sounds like a UFO. The service center has checked it out and did everything on the service bulletin. However, nothing has changed - it has actually gotten worse. They are supposed to contact me when a solution has been found. That was a month ago! I'm about to take it back and tell them to just put a whole new compressor in!
I almost feel bad! I can't tell when it is running unless I see the light on!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
no problems with cooling on mine, but it is noisy when i first turn it on but then it gets quiet... same thing with my Monte carlo and my last blazer i had...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
SkyTech rocks!
Yea. And thats one smart A/C compressor.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GaryH said:
Yea. And thats one smart A/C compressor.
I hate it when my A/C knows more than I do....:willy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
:eek:
SkyTech said:
Once engaged, the compressor clutch will be disengaged for the following conditions:

• A/C high side pressure is more than 2951 kPa (428 psi) and will re-engage once the pressure drops below 2068 kPa (300 psi).

Sanden PXV16 service compressors are mainly used in saab. Try digging around a saab forum and see if you can find anything

You're my hero! So much info so little time....now i need my car to test all of those conditions, especially over 6k rpm :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Sky Tech,

Thanks for the info at lest I'm in the clear as to what's happening! So far as the person that said I can not be happy with the SKY because it not a Jap car. I think he should check and see who made his transmission. Thanks again Sky TEch.

SkyTech said:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Mine is working fine but it is nice to know the info.:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I haven't noticed any problems with our A/C at all and have had it running even while in parades going super slow and on the highways.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
NC Sky said:
I, too, have had problems with my air conditioner from the beginning. Mine does what was described - start blowing out warmer air even when my foot is off the gas (not on cruise control).
If you do not have the a/c set for recycling air (press the center button so the light comes on) you will get warm air from outside the car entering the cockpit... especially noticable when your compressor cycles off briefly when the set temperature is reached.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I usually always keep the recirculator on. I just feel my A/C could die at any time! When I get a break from traveling, I'm going to take my car in to get all the problems looked at. Don't get me wrong - I still love my car!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
does the recycle work for you guys when you have the middle knob set to blow at your head?

If I set the knob to blow at my feet or any combo of feet/head, then the recycle button stay lit... but

if I switch the middle knob to blow just at my head, then the recycle turns off.??? whats up with that?

My Tacoma doesn't do that and neither did my 97 saturn SL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts