Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions on the stock alarm system. If its anything like other GM vechiles then it has a motion sensor and basic alarm. Does anybody know where the mothion sensor is located and if they could take a picture it would be great. In my camaro the manaul said where the motion sensor was located. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I believe the alarm it comes with is very basic.... engine kill, alarm goes off if you open the door...passkey 3... thats about it.

I kicked my tires.. no alarm... so no impact sensor.
I shook it, hard-- no alarm... so I don't think there is a motion sensor. some require to tilt at a certain angle before going off... but I didn't see anything in the manual about the motion/tilt alarm

only basic...
opening a locked door (I locked the doors then reached in the window and unlocked it.. opened the door.. alarm went off).. passkey....engine kill.

you know what I didn't try... is setting the alarm... then reaching in the glove box and popping the trunk..... hmmm, I wonder if that will set the alarm off. If it doesn't, then there nothing to stop someone from smashing your window, popping the glove box open (wouldn't be hard, glove box is very weak) and opening your trunk and stealing you golf clubs.

I will be upgrading to something more secure.... but first my performance mods!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ask because I am looking to put in a microwave sensor that pretty much protects the car when the top is down, pretty much dectects motion inside the car and then sets the alarm off if motion is detected. Is there a main Alarm hub that I can add an extra attachment to.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I know with mine if the top is down and you set the alarm (and wait a bit for it to arm I guess) if I stick my hand in the car by the handles or locks I get three horn blasts. If my hand isn't out shortly there after the alarm goes off. I think this is the alarm the dealer tried to charge me $3K for but backed it down to something more reasonable. Nice to know it works and makes me feel a little better about leaving the top down but only if I'm within earshot of the car.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
usmc said:
you know what I didn't try... is setting the alarm... then reaching in the glove box and popping the trunk..... hmmm, I wonder if that will set the alarm off. If it doesn't, then there nothing to stop someone from smashing your window, popping the glove box open (wouldn't be hard, glove box is very weak) and opening your trunk and stealing you golf clubs.

I will be upgrading to something more secure.... but first my performance mods!!!!!
You crack me up! I can't get my 45" driver and my golf clubs in the trunk!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Robotech- that is definately an aftermarket alarm. Do you happen to know the brand name. Thats the type I'll be looking for.

Skyhi07 - hehehehe, I don't even golf so I have no idea of they would fit or not. I shoulda known better. :jester:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Robotech said:
I know with mine if the top is down and you set the alarm (and wait a bit for it to arm I guess) if I stick my hand in the car by the handles or locks I get three horn blasts. If my hand isn't out shortly there after the alarm goes off. I think this is the alarm the dealer tried to charge me $3K for but backed it down to something more reasonable. Nice to know it works and makes me feel a little better about leaving the top down but only if I'm within earshot of the car.
Yeah, I got that over priced alarm tacked onto my price by the dealer. I was pretty ticked off about the additional $3000.00, but to be honest it is a pretty cool alarm system. But still no where near worth 3 grand?? T.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Let me guess, you got yours in OC too? LOL

I don't know who makes the alarm but I'm sure I can ask my dealer and find out. I know it isn't worth $3000. I saw a guy who had an alarm on his truck that would start it, roll down the windows, turn on the A/C, change the radio station, set the volume, and roll the windows up if you forgot to when you locked it...and that alarm was only $1,000 installed.

I just like the fact that I can keep my top down and the alarm is still protecting the car. Still need to get my Lo Jack installed though. :(

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
what you need lojack for? doesn't onstar track it?
All the thief has to do is rip the antenna off of the rear deck before they drive away and there will be no OnStar tracking. Lojack is consealed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any suggestions on an alarm brand that sells a sensor to protect the interior of the car when the top is down

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
migg750 said:
Any suggestions on an alarm brand that sells a sensor to protect the interior of the car when the top is down
I have the interior motion alarm that beeps the horn three times if you reach into the cockpit when it is set, and sounds the alarm if you ignore the warning. It works with the key fob - lock the car and it sets, unlock the car and it deactivates.

It is made by Omega Research and Development, and the model is a Crime Guard AL-100C. You can read a review on-line.
http://products.consumerguide.com/reviews/product.epub?productId=29495#FullReview

·
Registered
2 Posts
saturn alarm

Your best alarms are DEI....viper, clifford. All of their alarms offer motion, proximity, and microwave sensors as options. They all get 1,000 ft. to 3 mile range. Two-way paging is a good option to have if you want to park the car with the top down and eat at a restaurant. All the dei alarms come with a lifetime warranty as well if it is installed by an authorized dealer. The remote start is not a bad idea as well, this way it cools down the car before you get in it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
i got a really cool alarm that says.... BACK AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE! STEP AWAY..... very funny.... now, not sure if i will have it installed...... maybe just take my GERMAN SHEPHERD with me everywhere...... he does just about anyway...SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
secretbw said:
Your best alarms are DEI....viper, clifford. All of their alarms offer motion, proximity, and microwave sensors as options. They all get 1,000 ft. to 3 mile range. Two-way paging is a good option to have if you want to park the car with the top down and eat at a restaurant. All the dei alarms come with a lifetime warranty as well if it is installed by an authorized dealer. The remote start is not a bad idea as well, this way it cools down the car before you get in it.
Pretty much every company in aftermarket auto security offers all of these things, and most are manufactured by the same Asian suppliers. DEI's products, while good, aren't any better than anyone else's.

I'll hold off on my own self-serving plug.

·
Registered
248 Posts
this weekend I am going to have a Viper Avistart 4400 installed. It will integrate with the current alarm plus add a shock sensor and will upgrade for the interior sensor that chirps when a person sticks their hand in the cockpit area or gets too close. Im also getting HID's (6500K) installed along with an air horn and my Windscreen LEDS at the same time. Running me about $800 total. The alarm promises long range access, remote start (not for 5spd) and has a lcd screen that tells you what sensor was triggered.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
migg750 said:
this weekend I am going to have a Viper Avistart 4400 installed. It will integrate with the current alarm plus add a shock sensor and will upgrade for the interior sensor that chirps when a person sticks their hand in the cockpit area or gets too close. Im also getting HID's (6500K) installed along with an air horn and my Windscreen LEDS at the same time. Running me about $800 total. The alarm promises long range access, remote start (not for 5spd) and has a lcd screen that tells you what sensor was triggered.[/quote

YIKES!!...DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE?

·
Registered
248 Posts
[/quote]
YIKES!!...DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE?[/QUOTE]

USAA the best there is for those faithfully serving this great country of ours. LOL Hey I go to the city alot so I just want to make sure my baby is safe and sound!! Also so I can introduce any would be thieves to my body guards Mr. SIG and Mr. SAUER .

·
Registered
637 Posts
usmc said:
Robotech- that is definately an aftermarket alarm. Do you happen to know the brand name. Thats the type I'll be looking for.

Skyhi07 - hehehehe, I don't even golf so I have no idea of they would fit or not. I shoulda known better. :jester:
Actually, it's not an aftermarket alarm...it IS in fact a dealer installed alarm system that most dealers in Southern California are requiring owners to have installed. It costs $3000 and I'm not too thrilled about paying that much for it, but I will accept having it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts