Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Detroit and went downtown to see all the HYPE and went to the Kid Rock concert. Since we had a couple hours to waste we went over to the GM center building and walked around the facility...this is where ESPN is hosting sports center. To my surprise I walked in and was greeted by the SKY (silver red/black interior) it looked awesome and people were freaking about the car. (Sorry no camera) We didn't bring one, because we new we couldn't get in the concert with it.

Then we headed over to this "winter fest” and that had a Red SKY and a VETTE side by side! People couldn't believe that the SKY cost half as much as the vette! It was turning heads and getting all kinds of compliments!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Phili Auto Show

They had the black SKY there with the black interior...of course it was awesome...they also had the green Solstice ..and I had ordered the SKY in Forest Green also. I was somewhat disappointed. The pics on this site was so much deeper in color. I went back to my dealer and changed it to Silver Pearl. At least I didn not lose my place in line. Still #2 and waiting.

By the way, I know alot of you are disappointed with the color of the gauges but I did not find them offensive...matter of fact the interior of the car was quite rich looking while the guages were lit. The color is Amber...so don't be disappointed.

One thing Saturn did screw up on... the outside jacket that surrounds the windshield is silver and does not match the exterior color except the silver pearl....I did find the contrast between the exterior paint and that jacket annoying. Of course this is personal taste.

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
623 Posts
Everywhere the SKY goes people gather around it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ditto

marlboromike said:
One thing Saturn did screw up on... the outside jacket that surrounds the windshield is silver and does not match the exterior color except the silver pearl....I did find the contrast between the exterior paint and that jacket annoying. Of course this is personal taste.

MarlboroMike
I'm with you...hate the silver. Crossfire does the same thing and I think it draws your attention. Would have preffered color match.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I love the contrast. Makes it .. and me,, stand out more. I went to my pontiac dealer friday night (before i got sick) and drove the white , fully loaded solstice... then on to the other pontiac dealer and they had 2 in their lot, drove the silver, marginally loaded.. OMG... WHAT A RUSH.... it was awesome...... i actually thought,,,, for a split-second,,, about taking the white one home and not waiting for the sky.... WHAT???? yep, i did give it a thought, but not a second thought, The solstice DOESNT have on-star yet, they didnt know where to put it when the last however many rounds of cars were built, i am told it is available now though. My husband would have been talking deal if it had onstar..... he was sold and says i will love my sky all that much more... Cant wait for my SKY.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
marlboromike said:

MarlboroMike
That is not a Saturn thing, It is because all the Chassis' are built prior to the bodies (which are painted separately) being installed it is cheaper to paint them all the same color... all the Solstices are the same way... Make a deal with your Saturn retailer to have the silver parts repainted to the color of the body, for "at cost"

·
Registered
389 Posts
I thnk the silver on the windshield and on the back looks sharp. I think it does help make the car stand out and not blend in with the rest of the cars on the road. Vive la diference!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GRinLR said:
I thnk the silver on the windshield and on the back looks sharp. I think it does help make the car stand out and not blend in with the rest of the cars on the road. Vive la diference!
I'm with you... I look at the pic of the Yellow - and have absolutely No-o-o-o problem with the windshield frame color. The only thing that needs to be changed is that it should be parked in MY driveway!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I'm with you... I look at the pic of the Yellow - and have absolutely No-o-o-o problem with the windshield frame color. The only thing that needs to be changed is that it should be parked in MY driveway!
Ok Rick,... you can have the yellow one.... I WANT A BLUE ONE.. in my driveway... how bout today?.... yea.... wishful thinking... cant blame me for trying. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
18 Posts
Amber Instrument Lights

GM put Amber lights on the CTS for the first three years and the complaints were hugh. Finally changed to white. Guess GM did not learn that the vast majority don't like Amber

·
Registered
802 Posts
Why, Why, and more Why's

Why are so many people out there in Skyroadsterland trying to change the looks of a car that they don't even have yet!
If it looks that bad (in their eyes) why buy it?
If you are a collector you sure do not want to paint a part of the car that wasn't intended for paint.
I suppose a few cars of every vintage were automatically produced so the wrecking yard would have spare parts and these must be the ones.
I don't think (maybe I am wrong) that "Chip Foose" would have too many suggestions as to sharpening up the looks of this car. Twin exhausts are about the only thing I can see to improve upon the balance of the cars looks. I can see a couple of very small changes I could make but they would be reversable if needed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Ok Rick,... you can have the yellow one.... I WANT A BLUE ONE.. in my driveway... how bout today?.... yea.... wishful thinking... cant blame me for trying. SkyBaby-07
This is getting interesting -- You in a Blue SKY, SkyBaby; Me in a Yellow one -- now we need a green one to complete the mix!:jester:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Windshield frame

What if one of the vendors would come up with a overlay for the windshield frame that could either be car colored or Chrome... maybe even Carbon Fiber for the younger crowd....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
eldeeko said:
Why are so many people out there in Skyroadsterland trying to change the looks of a car that they don't even have yet!
If it looks that bad (in their eyes) why buy it?
If you are a collector you sure do not want to paint a part of the car that wasn't intended for paint.
I suppose a few cars of every vintage were automatically produced so the wrecking yard would have spare parts and these must be the ones.
I don't think (maybe I am wrong) that "Chip Foose" would have too many suggestions as to sharpening up the looks of this car. Twin exhausts are about the only thing I can see to improve upon the balance of the cars looks. I can see a couple of very small changes I could make but they would be reversable if needed.
It is an American tradition not to be satisfied with what the manufacturer gives us... that is why we have so many aftermarket parts for cars now...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
This is getting interesting -- You in a Blue SKY, SkyBaby; Me in a Yellow one -- now we need a green one to complete the mix!:jester:

Well, We were thinking of getting 2.. i guess the other one could be GREEN.... what an idea... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Carbon Fiber...that would look great on the yellow!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
It is an American tradition not to be satisfied with what the manufacturer gives us... that is why we have so many aftermarket parts for cars now...
:agree:
This reminds me of the roofs for the camaros in the early to mid 90s the coupes had the same color roof as the car while the Z28s had black roofs. I did not like this because it killed the perception of a sleeper. If someone pulled up next to you they knew automatically if you had the V8 or V6. Skyman hit the nail on the head, that why there are tons of aftermarket parts for cars today.I do personally wish the windshield frame was color matching, or at least a brushed aluminum. It will be interesting to see how long Saturn continues the silver frame.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Even the Audi S4 Cabriolet has a silver frame like that. The used one we have here is $79,987 so they must be over $100,000 new.

My point being that if they cut the same corners making my Sky as they do on a $100,000 Audi...I think it will be just fine.

Funny thing is mine will be 1/3 the price but 3 x as good looking...nowhere near as fast though...but that is what Mallett is for (if you need the speed)

·
Registered
357 Posts
SKY dash (lit up)

Here's a picture of teh SKY's dash lit up (don't ask me how I got it :cool: ):

ALL Saturns since 1991 have used the amber backlighting on the dash/gauges. It's like Pontiac's signature red, Chevy/GMC/Olds blue, and Buick green. I like that GM alternates the usage of dash colors for their brands... you never get use to just one if you own different GM vehicles.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
GMguy74 said:
Here's a picture of teh SKY's dash lit up (don't ask me how I got it :cool: ):

ALL Saturns since 1991 have used the amber backlighting on the dash/gauges. It's like Pontiac's signature red, Chevy/GMC/Olds blue, and Buick green. I like that GM alternates the usage of dash colors for their brands... you never get use to just one if you own different GM vehicles.
Way tooo cool.... i cant wait to see the glow up front and personal.. SkyBaby-07

1 - 20 of 26 Posts