Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Is it my imagination or are the baseline Sky's becoming much more available than they were just a month or two ago. Just looking back to July there was not baseline Sky to be had without waiting, I will grant that there were a few lucky break type deliveries where someone backed out and a person off the street got lucky but for the most part it seemed the only choice anyone had was to pony up a down payment and have seat in the waiting lounge. Now it seems to me that everytime I turn around another dealer has one or two available. Is it that way all over or do you think it is confined to the northern areas where fall is dropping the temps a little bit.:thumbs:

Of course this does not apply to those of us still waiting for redlines. :banghead:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some of the larger dealers may get extra SKYs to sell, but I doubt if that will happen at any dealer in our area. Mine doesn't even have a demo model!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Baton Rouge

My sister-inlaw knows I am waiting to get a Sky. She has a Saturn. While at the dealership in Baton Rouge last week, she told my wife that there were three Skys on the lot. She went on to say how sharp they look.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the larger dealers may get extra SKYs to sell, but I doubt if that will happen at any dealer in our area. Mine doesn't even have a demo model!
Sky vue 1 where are you located? I'm in a small town about 20 miles north of starved rock.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
3 at my dealer

I agree with Rusty...I think they are becoming more available. Just the other night while I was at my dealer watching Eye on Sky take delivery of his Bluestone R/L...the dealer had a Midnight Blue sitting on the floor, a Graphite awaiting PDI...and one more coming in this week - all without buyers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with Rusty...I think they are becoming more available. Just the other night while I was at my dealer watching Eye on Sky take delivery of his Bluestone R/L...the dealer had a Midnight Blue sitting on the floor, a Graphite awaiting PDI...and one more coming in this week - all without buyers.
Thats NUTS.....trade them to MI then we'll sell em snow and all!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder if the availability has something to do with the same people putting down payments and getting in line at multiple dealerships. I've seen several suggestions on this forum about doing so in order to get a better chance of having a "good" dealership or having MSRP or mitigating the problem of salesmen being overly optimistic about your delivery date.

Of course, most of us would place our orders with the first of the dealerships that call us to place the formal order. We would then cancel our place in line at the other dealerships. The other dealerships would then just move everybody up in line without actually having any unsold cars.

But I wonder if some people actually go the whole distance and wait to place formal orders at multiple dealerships, then waiting for which actually delivers first before cancelling with other dealerships. Thus, these other dealerships will have these cars with all the options already selected already on their way with no buyers.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i believe the multiple deposit thing

Linda was right there were three on the lot when I picked up my Redline. One was my trade in and the other two were there to take advantage of traffic created by delivery of my Redline. The Graphite one is sold now, the MidnightBlue has a deposit and my tradin was just put on the floor. This is the time for those on lists to move ahead and get theres. I was told a Red loaded Base with 5speed is coming in the next week or so, and a Bluestone base loaded right after that. P.M. me Ill get you info and contact info, these are msrp from a really great dealer.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I wonder if the availability has something to do with the same people putting down payments and getting in line at multiple dealerships. I've seen several suggestions on this forum about doing so in order to get a better chance of having a "good" dealership or having MSRP or mitigating the problem of salesmen being overly optimistic about your delivery date.

Of course, most of us would place our orders with the first of the dealerships that call us to place the formal order. We would then cancel our place in line at the other dealerships. The other dealerships would then just move everybody up in line without actually having any unsold cars.

But I wonder if some people actually go the whole distance and wait to place formal orders at multiple dealerships, then waiting for which actually delivers first before cancelling with other dealerships. Thus, these other dealerships will have these cars with all the options already selected already on their way with no buyers.
I would wait to cancel. Thats the whole point of having a couple orders in. But I would cancel when one or the other got a allocated or picked up. I wouldn't let the second dealer put my order in if I knew my first order was already picked up. Unless I intended to keep both. With the Red Line the best thing to do is have a couple orders in if you really want one this year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Talking to my salesman he said the number of list drop-offs has been huge. He also told me that it swung in the direction of the redline. There are by far more redline than base orders. I guess lots of folks jumped over when the RL was announced.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think seeing SKYs at the dealership reflects the following:
1. R/L Trade-ins
2. Deals gone bad (not bought when delivered)
3. Returns (Yes Virginia some people won't like the car when they get it)
3.A - Trade in for other car.

Even here in the Midwest with the dealer/owner that Eye and Nscrbug and I share, 3-4 RL buyer would equate to at least 1-2 of #1 above.
I think the #2 is partially the multiple deposit - first to call buyer outlined above, as well as "Gee I guess I can't afford it" to "The person died (which actually was reported here)"
Chances are very good you will not see them around for long.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I guess lots of folks jumped over when the RL was announced.
Those people annoy me. Anyone who did any research on the car before putting a deposit down would have known there was a RL version coming out, even if it wasn't officially announced yet.

I exclude those of you who had an early base model. I'm talking about those that put a deposit down within the last few months, just to change their mind to a RL.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
We just put our deposit down on a R/L last week, but...we already have our base Sky - took delivery on July 1st. We knew back in July that we wanted to get a R/L...but we are holding out for the 2008. However, our dealer suggested that we get on the list now in order to have a better chance at one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Novelty wearing thin?

I agree with the comments here....

It seems like some markets have several on the floor where others would take tons more.

Take Toronto Canada for an example, largest city in the nation and one dealer downtown has 4 base Sky's, all "stock" cars, not sold...:nono:

I have a local dealer here who has 6 base Solstice's on his lot at the moment and can not give them away..

Other markets would kill to actually have inventory of these vehicles...:banghead: :mad:

When asked why, they say that they have waiting lists for people waiting and have ordered RL's and GXP's......

It seems like the Redline's & Gxp's have taken a little of the wind out of the sails...... (sales....)

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with everything said so far in this thread, I also think we are seeing a group of people who ordered Sky's anticipating they would receive them in time for use during the summer, and with the cooler weather just basically decided it did not make sense to get a convertable roadster this close to winter.

I'll bet this has also impacted the number of people who are switching to the RL, it is probably very easy for them to say "well we won't use it until spring anyway we might just as well change to an RL"

I hope GM is actually seeing what is occurring and that they shift production over to produce the RL and Base Skys in proportion to what people actually want, if they just blindly produce the base and rl versions based on 60/40 split they have been talking about, I think we will see alot of the base units setting in dealer lots.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20. I was told back in May that they had no pricing for the redline so they could not take any orders. When I found out that they announced pricing on the RL I raced down to the dealer and gave them my deposit. Hey #3 isn't so bad. Had I known then that those with base orders in the system would hold their position if they switched over ot the RL I would have put myself on the base list back in May. Now I've dropped to #6 after 3 have already been delivered (1 in store, 2 in transit) guess that means at one time I was at #9. How many more places am I going to drop in the near future. :mad:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hindsight is 20/20. I was told back in May that they had no pricing for the redline so they could not take any orders. When I found out that they announced pricing on the RL I raced down to the dealer and gave them my deposit. Hey #3 isn't so bad. Had I known then that those with base orders in the system would hold their position if they switched over ot the RL I would have put myself on the base list back in May. Now I've dropped to #6 after 3 have already been delivered (1 in store, 2 in transit) guess that means at one time I was at #9. How many more places am I going to drop in the near future. :mad:
That is the one good thing my dealer did that it appears other dealers didn't do. They made the rules for ordering very clear, they said Skys would be ordered in order the buyers placed there deposit, and that there would be only one list maintained. I think alot of dealers could have raised the satisfaction level of their customers is they had just more clearly defined and communicated their ordering policies.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hear you....Steve,,,

I put my money down on a RL on March 6th... they could not order it in the system, but had me down for #1 at their dealership pending them getting allocation...

In late May, it came true and they put through my order on the first possible day that they could and they had allocation. Seeing when they where going to be starting prod on them in Aug, I picked up a Sky base in the meantime for the summer driving..

Now I am still at 3400, still #1 at my dealer, but my car is not built and there have been 7 RL's delivered in Canada of which 2 I can see as they were autos, but 5 RL's with 5 spd manuals??? How can that be when my dealer had allocation and placed it in the system minutes after they had the green light to order...

I am believing more and more that depending where and who you are, some dealers are getting priority treatments over some of the other ones...

My dealer is #2 for volume in all of Canada out of 34 Saturn dealers??

I just do not get it....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts