Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to visit my buddy in AZ this weekend. I'm still here actually. They just bought a new house and I was staying the night. This morning my friend comes into the room I'm staying in.

"Troy, the window on your Sky is broken."

I go out and sure enough, the driver's side window is busted out. I knew what they must have been going after as soon as they told me it was busted out though...my iPod sitting in it's direct connect cradle and sure enough, it's gone.

To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. I am just beside myself.

Oh, and I have a motion sensing alarm installed in the car that is designed to go off if someone breaks the window like this. I think we were all asleep though and it wasn't loud enough to wake any of us. I need a better alarm horn than the horn of the car apparently.

To make matters worse, the community my friend is in is not complete so most of the structures around us are not yet inhabitited. Thus the likelyhood of witnesses is slim.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
274 Posts
This is truely a sad story but it could have been alot worse, what if they cut the top open to steal the IPOD would have been devastating to get a replacement top this soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, the alarm did go off I found out. I disarmed it this morning and it chirpped twice letting me know it had been set off. It must have motivated them to act quickly because they RIPPED the iPod out along with the Direct Connect cradle. They put a nice blemish in the leather of my shift handle and just about pulled my power port out of the dash. Luckily that just came a bit dislodged and was easily pushed back into place.

Had they started to cut through the top they would have learned that getting into our cars that way is going the hard way. The alarm would have sounded at the first sign of a cut (just setting a drink up there gives you a warning) and would have taken twice as long then breaking the window.

I think USMC had this same issue. I saw where they estimated it at around $300. Any update on the actual cost?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That sucks, I hate theives and it takes only a few to cause a lot of damage, but live and learn. The only place you should think about leaving something like an ipod sitting in view is in your garage!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So sorry to hear the bad news. Its a shame someone would go and damage such a pretty car for an Ipod and not the best welcome for your friend in his new community. I have known friends that live in very nice communities that still get occasional punks going around trying to snatch car stereos and such.

So even with the alarm things can still happen, and Im sorry you ended up proving that. As the dude would say, I hope they didn't make off with any Creedence on that IPod.

Best wishes for a fast Sky recovery.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at least I have an excuse to get a bigger one now. Just really pisses me off because the ride home is going to be VERY long without that iPod. Miles through the desert with no tunes.

Now my only question will be how long does it take to get the window back in the car? Is it something the dealer has in stock or readily available? I've only replaced windshields and know how long that takes and that you have to have the specific one. Is it the same for these flat side windows? Uhg. Hate this s***.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Really sorry to hear about that, I know the feeling I went out to my car one morning when i lived in MD to find my door hanging off. I just sttod there and bust out laughing, I was so angry that's all I could do. I then screamed at the top of my lungs "what a bunch of no talent hacks you must be!!" I still feel to this day it was someone in my complex. But thank GOD for USAA they got it fixed really fast. All they took was an old radio and all my CD's, I am sure they were disapointed in the music i listen to..lol..so I will take that small satisfaction. But I hope you get it all fixed with no issues.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Especially after This

Sorry to hear about what happened. For me, this is the second warning, not to leave anything in the car.
Hope you can get it fixed soon. See you soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I'm wondering about parts is all. I may stay out here in AZ tonight and see about getting it done locally if they can do it in a day.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry about the damage. Make sure the insurance pays for everything, even blemish on the leather. Hope this isn't an indication of the type of neighborhood your friend moved into. How much does the motion alarm cost? I've thought about getting one.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I did find some damage to the driver's side seat. Bast*****. Anyway, even with that damage I think I'm under my deductable. No sense in reporting it to the insurance. I swear. All this over a $80 iPod. I would have wrote that guy a check for that...

So what do you do for slight blemishes in leather?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Bummer, dude!

Of course, a smash-and-grab attack can happen on any car - roadster or not, SKY or not...

I just wonder if the car is flashy enough to draw punks over who then look in and go, "Cool! Free iPod!"

With only a few thousand SKYs built, and certainly not that many members registered here, it seems odd that two SKYs would be subjected to this kind of attack so soon when the population is so small...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just wonder if the car is flashy enough to draw punks over who then look in and go, "Cool! Free iPod!"...
I thought the same thing, Its a blessing and sometimes a curse to have such an attractive car and maybe that played a role in both the break ins.

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Damn, I hate a thief. Maybe you could have your alarm hooked up to a canister of poison gas. It'd serve the little punks right.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know Jon, I was thinking the exact same thing. I cleaned the glass out and the car is now in my friend's garage where it will stay until I can get to the dealer tomorrow.

And naw to the poision gas...I'm thinking flame throwers under each door facing outward...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thieves

Part of the problem is that the car looks so exotic. A thief would have to figure there is somthing good in there that warrants forced entry. Wish your car a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts