Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any input on car covers being used by sky owners. Would like honest opinions on Durability, protection from rain/snow, dust ect..... How are the GM car covers? Do they protect from rain? My sky will be sitting outside for the winter so I cant to cover her with the best available cover. It will see snow,rain and the worst a NY winter has to offer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I know you are looking for a cover and are worried about getting "the best" but even so -- Have you looked at a local U-Store it? Bet it would not cost more than $150.00 to store it for the winter in a garage.

Best of luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
how dows the car cover stay on when gets windy?
That's what glue and nails are for!:lol:

Actually, there are several that have pull ropes around the edge that you can pull tight around the bottom of the car to prevent a wind from blowing it off. But I do like the storage idea too...if it is inside.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had one for my 3-series that was that "breathable" material that would let water evaporate out but not let rain in. It had elastic at the hood and trunk ends and then a cord that went under the middle if you really wanted to cinch it down.

·
Registered
637 Posts
great question...:thumbs: I'm looking for something to cover my car with in the garage...so I can leave the top down and not have dust get all over it...something I can pretty much just flop over the car... I don't want to have to deal with walking all around the car every time I come and go in order to pull the corners down around each side of the car.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
great question...:thumbs: I'm looking for something to cover my car with in the garage...so I can leave the top down and not have dust get all over it...something I can pretty much just flop over the car... I don't want to have to deal with walking all around the car every time I come and go in order to pull the corners down around each side of the car.
You want (as I am getting since I too have a garage for Sunni) the Tan Flannel cover. Basically to keep the car dust free and not scratch. I have seen custom made for the SKY - $167.00
Search (Google) Tan Flannel Car Cover and you will find LOTS:thumbs:

·
Registered
450 Posts
solution...move to Florida and drive your Sky year around! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
solution...move to Florida and drive your Sky year around! :D

Ill remember that when a Hurricane washes away my house and car. LOL
OK doesnt any one have a car cover?

·
Registered
653 Posts
LOL, I lived in FL with my ION Redline through two hurricanes. Had one of those el-cheapo $50 car covers from Autozone. Had a a bungie cord like rope that went underneath the car to hold it on. It stayed on through the whole storm (was only a Category 2 I think, so max winds about 90-100mph). So, kept the car from getting scratched up or anything. No idea how it would fare against snow though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the cover from Kappa. Its the weathershield version. Of course I still do not have a car to put it on but the cover is right here next to me.:lol: :lol: For what its worth, the material is VERY good, construction VERY good, it is designed to "fit" the SKY, has tiedowns on the bottom that can be used to secure it. How it would work in really high wind.....I'm not too sure, for a 'real' storm I'd conside going inside, but for normal wind say 20 to 30 MPH it would be AOK.
I want the cover for trips, "normal" outside storage when not in use( I have a beater pickup that I will be driving to work) and I have a garage to put the car inside for the winter (course now my sailboat is outside (go figure this one))
Price from Kappa was reasonable and competitive. Shipping FAST.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have used both the "Noah" and the "Weathershield" on my cars as well as off-brand cheap stuff. In my experience, weathershield is a great cover that keeps the dust out, rain out, whatever, dries quickly and is thin so you can wash it in your home washing machine (front-loader recommended!)
They tend to be more pricey ($250-350 depending on vehicle) :thumbs: This is the one I will be using for my Z4 and as a gift for my stepson's '69 Camaro.

The Noah let too much dust through and not enough moisture out so the car you uncovered was dirtier than the one you covered up :banghead:
It was also too thick to wash in anything but a commercial triple-loader machine and never really came clean, but could be a good cover for INDOORS. Thumbs down for outdoor storage with Noah.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Got the GM Brand cover and use it when leaving the car in the garage for more than an overnighter. Keeps off the feline footprints quite nicely.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the GM Brand cover and use it when leaving the car in the garage for more than an overnighter. Keeps off the feline footprints quite nicely.
How does the GM one hold up with the rain?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I had one for my 3-series that was that "breathable" material that would let water evaporate out but not let rain in. It had elastic at the hood and trunk ends and then a cord that went under the middle if you really wanted to cinch it down.

Yep..i got one of them blue soft breathable ones.... still got it.. even got a nice little spot for the antenna...... PM me if anyone is interested... Cheap... it stayed on very well.. but, i only covered SKYBABY up when she was in the garage napping or sleeping. Otherwise, we were out riding... well, with just about 11000 SMiles on her when i sold her... that is about all we were doing.. DRIVING... and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT...... SkyBaby

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ill remember that when a Hurricane washes away my house and car. LOL
OK doesnt any one have a car cover?
hurricanes last a few hours...winters up North...months!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looking for any input on car covers being used by sky owners. Would like honest opinions on Durability, protection from rain/snow, dust ect..... How are the GM car covers? Do they protect from rain? My sky will be sitting outside for the winter so I cant to cover her with the best available cover. It will see snow,rain and the worst a NY winter has to offer.
I'm in the same situation. I plan to drive the SKY only when the roads are dry and no snow is expected. The rest of the time it has to sit outside. Is it better to get a heavier cover or a light breathable type (GM's)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the GM factory cover and it is like a plastised vinyl that fits very snug on my midnight blue Sky (SAU SEA). It is water repellant ;but like any fabric, when you touch its surface it seems to allow water to pass through (ie like a tent in the rain; you never touch the inside). Because it is plastised ;it also condensates on the under side of the cover. This leaves water resting on the paint and leaves those ugly hard to remove water marks even just over night. I would NOT cover the car outside with this product for a long period of time. I bought mine to use in a garage to keep dirt off and it seems to work ok as long as water is not present. jerry fasan (SAU SEA)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts