Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading on the Solstice Forum about Chuck Mallet and his conversion company, www.mallettcars.com. It seems that he has already converted a work mule Solstice (pre-production test car) with an LS2 drivetrain. According to some of the posts on the Solstice Forum, Chuck will be offering complete conversions for around $38,000 or less beginning early next year. In addtion, he will be selling the parts for the conversion al carte for the do it yourselfers.

This means that HP parts for the Sky would also be available; given it has the same drivetrain as the Solstice. Anybody interested in having a 400 HP Sky? :eek:

:willy:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure-- but why the h*** would anyone in their right mind even remotely consider spending the price of a C6 Z06 Corvette (including Sky price) to get it...

$40K is beyond ridiculous on a $25K car--- waaaaay beyond.

·
Registered
109 Posts
mdlestat said:
Sure-- but why the h*** would anyone in their right mind even remotely consider spending the price of a C6 Z06 Corvette (including Sky price) to get it...

You're obviously not a marketing type, else you'd realize that the first task is to determine the size of that portion of the population which is not "in their right mind" in order to determine if there is a market for the conversion.
In North America, that could be a sizeable target market. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey, im out of my mind! ill take an LS2 sky! heck, i'd even be willing to plop down extra just to have an LS7 sky (if possible)! that money isnt going to be an issue since i had been planning on spending about 15k on mods to the car anyways. woohoo!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
mdlestat said:

I think you misunderstood, the $38K price includes the cost of the car! The upgrades performed by mallettcars.com is between $12K-$15K on top the the price of the car.

Yes, $38,000 for a Sky/Solstice is a lot of money. Consider the market for those who spend over $40K for a sports car, this is a bargin. A new Porsche Boxter is about $48K with options and delivers 240 hp. I know Porsche has earn their reputation and deserve their asking price, but a 400 hp engine in a sexy car like the Sky/Solstice for $38K is great!

The Corvette is the only car in today's sport market that can be had at a great price when compare to other vehicles in it's class. One feature that has always made the Corvette the great icon it is has been its power. That that same power and move it into a roadster for $20K less than a Corvette convertible you have a winner.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Generally, after market conversions like that void the original manufacturer's new car warranty.
I don't know if I'd want to drive a brand new model car without warranty..
Could be kinda costly... :confused:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkyHawk said:
Generally, after market conversions like that void the original manufacturer's new car warranty.
I don't know if I'd want to drive a brand new model car without warranty..
Could be kinda costly... :confused:

If you purchase the car from Mallett Cars, they not only give a warranty for their upgrades, but Pontiac honors it's warranty as well on the other components. This is one of the reasons Mallett Cars are so special. Just visit NADA Guides and see what these cars listed and carry a great used resale (see Hammer Corvette as an example).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Delnari said:
If you purchase the car from Mallett Cars, they not only give a warranty for their upgrades, but Pontiac honors it's warranty as well on the other components. This is one of the reasons Mallett Cars are so special. Just visit NADA Guides and see what these cars listed and carry a great used resale (see Hammer Corvette as an example).

what he said

this car will have just as strong a warranty as if you had bought it from your local dealer.

aaaaand... dont forget to see that on his website, he has TC's for the LS2! F/I LS2 sky! :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Kappa is the poor mans, Vette. This would be the poor mans Mallett. You're more then likely wouldn't be getting just a Kappa with an LS2, IF he really makes these and brings them to market expect one awesome car.

Mallett offers a 24 month/ 24,000 mile warranty for their cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah-- you're right-- I did misunderstand you.....

Well-- if you want the kind of performance only a small-block V-8 can offer, ((count me in there!)) then it's not so bad of a deal after all....

After modding the hell out of one particular LS1 over the last few years, I KNOW how spectacular those motors are...pretty sweet...

·
Registered
45 Posts
brentil said:
The Kappa is the poor mans, Vette. This would be the poor mans Mallett. You're more then likely wouldn't be getting just a Kappa with an LS2, IF he really makes these and brings them to market expect one awesome car.

Mallett offers a 24 month/ 24,000 mile warranty for their cars.
Dayum. Where do I sign? :willy:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dante said:
Dayum. Where do I sign? :willy:
head over to solsticeforum.com and give your support on the active poll.
(im sure one of the mods will be able to set up a link for you, if they get to it before i get off work. i cant do it while my boss is peeking over my shoulder)

right now they are trying to see how much support there is for it, so anyone who is serious about an LS2 sky should head on over there and toss in your $.02!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I assume you have to be registered on the solstice site to vote. Interesting results. VERY intriguing idea. Wow... If Mallett can manage to stuff that LS2 into a Kappa, then he deserves to be able to charge close to $40k for a car that small, tight, and with 400+HP. Wow. Also, considering that the LS2 Vette is rated to get 19MPG city/ 28 Hwy, (which is better than my 3.5L V6 Vue putting out 250HP), that's not too shabby! It's not TOTALLY impractical!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I gotta tell you, the prices they are quoting hardly seem like " a little more " money. :cheers: to those that will do it.. however, I salute you.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
sky_vue said:
I gotta tell you, the prices they are quoting hardly seem like " a little more " money. :cheers: to those that will do it.. however, I salute you.
If it turns out to be completely absurd then only the truly committed will try to attain the previously mentioned equipment. It will make one hell of a sleeper though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
too bad engines aren't "Plug-n-play" I could just rig up a hoist to pull the LS2 from my GTO and place it in the sky when I felt like top-down motoring

1 - 20 of 21 Posts