Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently flew into Oakland, and I rented a car when I got there from Fox Car Rental. (Never heard of Fox before, they must be local or new...) Anyway, I had a choice to reserve a Dodge Magnum or a PT Cruiser, and I reserved a Magnum. Well, when I arrived they were out of Magnums, so they said they were upgrading me. So I stumbled out in the dark, got my keys from the helper-dude, checked out the car all the way around for dents and hopped in. I turn the key, and the stereo starts blaring rap music... I look down at the stereo, which looks awfully familiar, and plug in my MP3 player with the shorty cable that I carry in my backpack for use in the SKY.

Then I notice that the temperature controls are three knobs, very similar to the SKY, too! Same snowflake, same rear window defrost... Amazing!

I'm on the freeway, and I look down and see a very familiar Driver Information Center (in blue though, instead of orange.) And then I noticed that the buttons on the steering wheel for the DIC and cruise control were exact copies of the SKY, too! And... Wait a minute! So was the steering wheel itself! WTF? Did the SKY steal all this stuff from the PT Cruiser?

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually...

When I got to the hotel I noticed that it was one o' them new-fangled Chevy HHRs. You know, the thing that looks exactly like a PT Cruiser that Chevy says was based on the old 1948 Suburban and was absolutely not inspired by the PT Cruiser?

Well, at least that made me feel a little better. It's okay if GM wants to share a DIC and steering wheel and stereo and heater controls between two divisions to keep costs down. At least the SKY didn't copy the PT Cruiser!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
thank goodness it wasnt a PT Cruise!! I was already on the phone to cancel my Redline when I read your second post. narrow miss buddy..........

·
Registered
141 Posts
you are telling me that you HONESTLY didnt know what you were getting in to? Seriously? You know, you did a once over on the car.... and had no idea whatsoever that it was a chevy not a PT?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
you are telling me that you HONESTLY didnt know what you were getting in to? Seriously? You know, you did a once over on the car.... and had no idea whatsoever that it was a chevy not a PT?

good point Ken. Okay jdigiant, just how many drinkie poos did you have on the airplane ????:cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The huge chevy symbol on the steering wheel didn't tip you off?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Edited title for you, jdgiant. I was all ready to hop on this thread and post "NO WAY!"... then saw your pics... then had a good laugh (since the half of the chevy symbol was fully visible in your steering wheel picture)... :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's not really copying, you see the same components between different cars and even different companies all the time.

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
When I got to the hotel I noticed that it was one o' them new-fangled Chevy HHRs. You know, the thing that looks exactly like a PT Cruiser that Chevy says was based on the old 1948 Suburban and was absolutely not inspired by the PT Cruiser?

Well, at least that made me feel a little better. It's okay if GM wants to share a DIC and steering wheel and stereo and heater controls between two divisions to keep costs down. At least the SKY didn't copy the PT Cruiser!

Perfectly understandable mistake. You had your heart set on a magnum and they give you this..........thing. True, the chevy emblem could have possibly tipped you off and you most likely wouldn't have much of a future in crime scene investigation, but when you walk out and see they stuck you with a redesigned panel truck who cares who made it?

·
Registered
118 Posts

This is shat happens when GM lures lead designers from DCX over to the General:lol: They get ugly cars!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Actually, I really thought it was a PT Cruiser. That was the other car offered by the rental agency, and I was under the impression that their fleet featured only Mopars... And, understand, that it was night - in a very poorly lit lot when I did the once-over. The steering wheel emblem - lit up nicely by my flash when I took the picture - was invisible in the dark while driving.

I am not familiar with the PT Cruiser (I had been in one as a passenger once, and that was it) and never having been in an HHR - well, I don't think it's that unreasonable of a mistake... I figured it out within an hour (once I was parked in the hotel lot and I didn't have to keep worrying about taking the 880 to the 80 to the 580 to the 780 and all that sort of stuff...)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would love to make fun of you, but I have done something like that too! Guess they won't be asking either of us information on a crime scene...ya, he was like 7'6" and was blond...or maybe that was the big poster of Ben Wallace by the door...but he isn't blond, matter of fact I think it was a girl- actually...:D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Apparently the person who designed the HHR is the same person who did the design for the PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I recently flew into Oakland, and I rented a car when I got there from Fox Car Rental. (Never heard of Fox before, they must be local or new...) Anyway, I had a choice to reserve a Dodge Magnum or a PT Cruiser, and I reserved a Magnum. Well, when I arrived they were out of Magnums, so they said they were upgrading me. So I stumbled out in the dark, got my keys from the helper-dude, checked out the car all the way around for dents and hopped in. I turn the key, and the stereo starts blaring rap music... I look down at the stereo, which looks awfully familiar, and plug in my MP3 player with the shorty cable that I carry in my backpack for use in the SKY.

Then I notice that the temperature controls are three knobs, very similar to the SKY, too! Same snowflake, same rear window defrost... Amazing!

I'm on the freeway, and I look down and see a very familiar Driver Information Center (in blue though, instead of orange.) And then I noticed that the buttons on the steering wheel for the DIC and cruise control were exact copies of the SKY, too! And... Wait a minute! So was the steering wheel itself! WTF? Did the SKY steal all this stuff from the PT Cruiser?
They share alot of parts with alot of other cars. That is the reason they were able to order it at the price they did they say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts