Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I put my deposit down on my SKY on 5/30. I've been reading the forum and have a few questions about how the whole process will go:
  1. Should I call my dealer tomorrow and ask for a VOM number?
  2. Should I expect them to have one?
  3. When I found out the car was sold out for the year, I called them and asked what number I was on the list, they said 12-14 probably. I'm guessing I should go in and confirm what number I am?
  4. I know this is probably the wrong question to ask, but my dealer says they get 2 SKYs a month, and I can expect to get my car sometime between dec. and jan. Does this sound right to those of you who ordered early?
Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a big 10-4 good buddy! Hope you like to wait and are a patient fellow:thumbs: My guess would be that you won't actually get a number for quit some time, as unfortunate as that may me. I placed my order two months ago and have yet to receive one. I have found that unless someone in front of your order backs out, you should probably bank on the dealership's longest range regarding eta. Despite what some others in this arena have stated, I think you should check in with the dealer every couple weeks or so, just to see how your order is progressing. If these cars really do sell themselves, then make the sales rep earn his commission by fielding questions about the order. It'll be worth the wait.:cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I figured as much! However, from what I've read on the other posts, should I not have one of the following VOM codes?

1100 preliminary order placed/accepted at dealer
1101 preliminary order added
1102 preliminary order added thru web

I was under the impression that all the orders/pre-orders were entered into a pool and then when GM was ready for more, they took those from each dealership with the highest priority rating.

If not, I find it pretty unsettling that I paid the deposit and have the order hanging on my wall (sad, I know) and my order is floating in dealer limbo... :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Also, by being "on deposit"

Your dealer should be able to run down the list of all people waiting when a new, unspoken-for SKY arrives or when somebody backs out. I would expect that they would call the person at the top of the list and say "Want a green one?" as an example. If they say "No" then it goes on to #2, #3, #4, right on down the line. If #2 says "Sure!" then when the car that #2 had previously ordered arrives, then it's available and the calls start again right on down the line.

So, if you're #20, you're probably not going to get a call for a while unless one arrives with a pretty poor combination of options and colors (But with so much being standard on the SKY and with all the colors looking so good - well, that's probably not too much help.)

Also, see if you can take a test drive if you haven't already... Make sure the car fits you before you spend months and months waiting. Since you have paid, pester your dealer and have them notify you when any available car comes in, and if it's what you want - TAKE IT and start driving. You'll be glad you did.

:driving:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdigiant said:
Also, see if you can take a test drive if you haven't already... Make sure the car fits you before you spend months and months waiting. Since you have paid, pester your dealer and have them notify you when any available car comes in, and if it's what you want - TAKE IT and start driving. You'll be glad you did.

:driving:
I drove the heck out of the SKY my dealer has on the lot... 3 separate drives! One to make sure I fit, one to make sure my girlfriend didn't hate it (really just an excuse to drive it again :lol: ), and one last one to make sure I could see out of it with the top up. I don't know if I'd be able to take a different car, unless it was extremely close to the one I ordered... I think it'd be worth the wait to see my black on black/red roadster with every option I want waiting on the lot for me to drive her home... after about a 150 mi. detour.

If anyone knows about the VOM and if I should have one of the codes I listed before I'd like to know before I actually call my dealer and inquire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
haylcron said:
Thanks for the reply, I figured as much! However, from what I've read on the other posts, should I not have one of the following VOM codes?

1100 preliminary order placed/accepted at dealer
1101 preliminary order added
1102 preliminary order added thru web

I was under the impression that all the orders/pre-orders were entered into a pool and then when GM was ready for more, they took those from each dealership with the highest priority rating.

If not, I find it pretty unsettling that I paid the deposit and have the order hanging on my wall (sad, I know) and my order is floating in dealer limbo... :confused:
Under the new system you could be right. My dealer after switching over to GM's computer, put all the orders in the system. In fact you may be right, an 1100 code may be what you have. Your dealer will do his best I'm sure, to try to push the list forward but at his allocation schedule, not yours. You might get skipped over or not picked up before someone further down the list, but on the otherhand, people in front of your will drop out. The dealer may bring one of those in as his own "dealer" car to sell on his own (with $2000 worth of worthless options) but they will eventually get to you. I wouldn't bug them until you get to 2-3 away on the list. Call them once a month for awile - and don't torcher yourself! Remember, some of us have paid our dues and have waited over a year!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I should be getting mine later this month but If I had to wait until Jan...I would be getting on the REDLINE list and be one of the first to get the redline!

If I was you I would cancel your Sky order and order the Redline...Its only going to cost 3Gs more give or take a few.

If you choose to not cancel your order...do yourself a favor and your dealership and fellow salemen....just try to not bother them every day...give them some space and ck in on them perhaps once or twice a month ....When your Sky is built....believe me they will CALL YOU ASAP....they want you to get your Sky, they want you to be happy....bothering them again and again will only upset everyone.

Just some good advice...:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no intention of bothering them, all I want to know is if I'm in the system. Once I know that, I'll be content to sit back and wait. The last time I spoke to them about it was when I ordered and I didn't get any answers, mostly vague responses due to the fact that I didn't know what to ask. Now that I do, I can ask, get my answers, and (hopefully) be happy. I know others have put in a lot of time waiting, I'm not being impatient (wouldn't have ordered one if I was). But why should I sit here and wonder if I'm in the system or if I'm in a paper file somewhere collecting dust... I just want to know that my dealer has its act together.

As far as the redline, I'd love to have one, but that 3k more is 3k too much. Also, my insurance would be pretty high. I don't turn 25 until Oct. '07 and that's the earliest I could consider one. Also, I just got my first post-college job and I'm not too anxious to tie up all my money in the SKY. I think I'll be happy enough with a SKY optioned like I want it, a CAI, exhaust, chromies, and a few other details.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be sure to take it all into consideration and try not to drive my dealer up the wall.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
haylcron said:
I have no intention of bothering them, all I want to know is if I'm in the system. Once I know that, I'll be content to sit back and wait.
If you put down the deposit and are 12th - 14th in line, you won't have an order number in VOMS... not until the retailer enters in your order. Just because they have your choices written down, doesn't mean your car is ordered.

If this is a retailer that orders stock cars and doesn't allow customer orders... then you won't get a VOMS number at all...

Just hope that your retailer is a mildly high volume location so they get more then one a month or 2.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You woun't have an order # till you image (12-14 on list with 2/month delivery) About 6 or 7 months, but remember you could move up faster as people ahead of you on the list drop. Good Luck and welcome to the wait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hayl,

You make an excellent point about Insurance. Higher horses and/or especially Turbo put rates much, much higher. The great thing about the present Sky/Solstice is---the rates I were quoted weren't any higher than for an old beater. I was amazed..

Just out of curiosity--whats the Insurannce going to cost you with the present Sky. Hope all works out. The advice you got here is solid---I'd check in twice a month.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sky,
That sounds pretty good to me. Its $73 a month for me in one of the highest Car Insurance states in the nation.

It sounds like the Sky and Solstice are being priced Insurance-wise as 4-cylinder, 177 Horsepower cars as opposed to "sports" cars. Thats just fine for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SkyBos said:
Just out of curiosity--whats the Insurannce going to cost you with the present Sky. Hope all works out. The advice you got here is solid---I'd check in twice a month.
Seems like everyone's getting a better deal than me... With a $1000 deductable, no tickets and no accidents, I was quoted $860 every 6 months. When I turn 25 it'll drop to $580. I'm currently borrowing my younger brother's car while he's out of the country (to keep from having to fix my current one), and apparently a 1999 Toyota Solara (for me) is only 3 bucks a month cheaper than the SKY on insurance. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts