Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a couple of posts talking about how the Sky will distributed across North America. We read that a truck load of Sky had been spotted heading out and it was suspected they were heading to a distribution centre.

I've looked at the Wilmington site from Google Earth and I see a major rail yard there. I would assume Sky's being shipped any great distance would be sent by rail to a distribution centre. IE cars going to the West coast. Yet it we suggested that a truck load of Sky were heading to the west coast.

What's up? Is there any loading of Sky's at the plant onto either trucks or rail cars?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Only problem is Google Earth is only updated once every 6 months... So how do you know when that pic is from????? The only Google Earth that is running live is the version that you have to pay for... which one are you checking out?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
Only problem is Google Earth is only updated once every 6 months... So how do you know when that pic is from????? The only Google Earth that is running live is the version that you have to pay for... which one are you checking out?
But he is just refrencing a rail yard -- not spotting trucks with GE....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
those pics can be years old.

besides, there is no such thing as google live version in the sense that you get live feeds from satellite of the earth. the "live" version has the ability for you to use your GPS live and have it transpose to the google maps.
the only people that have access to real time data from satellite is the government.
i think he was just looking at the railway.. not looking for sky's

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
There's something very believable in that, coming from someone's screenname being USMC....yes, yes?
hehe... I've been out of the USMC for about 10 years now so things could have changed, but when I was in... I just so happened to be in the Intelligence field

(I know, I know... military intelligence... talk about oxymorons)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Sky followers, Saturn “had” a plan to delivery all first shipments via truck directly to dealers and work back into the rail distribution center. Not sure if the plan has changed.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure the Google earth stuff isn't days old. More like months or years old (in many cases). I was only looking at the rail yards. It would make sense that a major facility like that would have a rail facility and I assume it hasn't been ripped up.

So assuming the rail line is still there and working it would seem reasonable that cars being shipped long distance would be moved by rail to local distribution centres. Would it not?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
rick112 said:
I am sure the Google earth stuff isn't days old. More like months or years old (in many cases). I was only looking at the rail yards. It would make sense that a major facility like that would have a rail facility and I assume it hasn't been ripped up.

So assuming the rail line is still there and working it would seem reasonable that cars being shipped long distance would be moved by rail to local distribution centres. Would it not?
I know the pictures are YEARS old as the place where my townhome stands now (been here just under three years) is a flat open prairie in Google Earth. Also Soldier Field in Chicago is barely in renovation – and the Bears have played two seasons in the newly renovated place... :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
rick112 said:
There have been a couple of posts talking about how the Sky will distributed across North America. We read that a truck load of Sky had been spotted heading out and it was suspected they were heading to a distribution centre.

I've looked at the Wilmington site from Google Earth and I see a major rail yard there. I would assume Sky's being shipped any great distance would be sent by rail to a distribution centre. IE cars going to the West coast. Yet it we suggested that a truck load of Sky were heading to the west coast.

What's up? Is there any loading of Sky's at the plant onto either trucks or rail cars?
I don't know about the rail situation at the plant. They definitly are getting supplies in from rail. I do know for a fact that many Solstices are being trucked into Lordstown, Ohio and put on rails heading west. Also, solstices are getting loaded on trucks in Lordstown for trips to dealers.

I assume GM will follow suit for the Sky.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Turk said:
I don't know about the rail situation at the plant. They definitly are getting supplies in from rail. I do know for a fact that many Solstices are being trucked into Lordstown, Ohio and put on rails heading west. Also, solstices are getting loaded on trucks in Lordstown for trips to dealers.

I assume GM will follow suit for the Sky.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts