Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There has been more discussion about this as of late. I think there is a lot to be said for the "community" that is created among forum members and it creates value for a forum to have good interactions among members. Often times the off topic discussions are just that, placed in off topic forum areas or moved there by mods. As the admin for a couple message boards I can say that active members help the forum stay fresh and many of the veteran posters here (yourself included) have kept great relationships and become great resources to visitors in ALL aspects of owning a Sky, which only bolsters the success of the forum. I do agree that the fighting needs to be curbed and we should do our best to keep things on topic. But even this post was started in the wrong forum; it should be moved to "Site Feedback". I for one think the forum as a whole is maturing just like the car and in time the wealth of knowledge we have posted and our users will share will easily rival our brothers down at Solforum.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
JUST MY OPINION...... ok... here is another 2 cents worth of mine.... as for the tiregators..... WE all need a great laugh once in a while.. and a little distraction from all the SERIOUSNESS.. and abnormalty life offers us... there is a reason it is in the... OFF TOPIC.... section.. you really dont have to read what doesnt interest you... and i am saying "you" as a general term.. NOT DIRECTING IT TO ANYONE SPECIFIC. i know there are several topic i dont even bother to open up.. but that is a personal choice.... no where does it say you .... AGAIN, NO ONE IN PARTICULAR....have to read each and every one of the threads..... I can see in some instances where it may be intimidating to some to have the posts counted.... but, i dont think there is really a competition.... Even in the OFF TOPIC threads there seems to be alot of GREAT SKY information in the middle of a great joke or telling about a life situation. I have also found ALOT of off topic things in the middle of great information. I would like to see this forum stay human..... NOT robotic.... Freedom of speech and opinion is one thing... there is no reason to have FLAME wars.. and mean criticisms.. but, people are passionate at times about certain subjects.. and as far as the NO start threads til 30 days,,,, well, i know for me, i have tried to find a certain topic and not that i am DUMB... but, i cant find it.. so, i am glad when someone posts a topic they think is new and.... we get more info on it.... it is GREAT when one of the SENIOR members give insight into the place that the former thread on same subject is.... it is VERY HELPFUL... okay... i think i am rambling. I love the people here and all the great information i have learned.. but, you need a break once in a while to break up the monotenous grind....... sorry if i misspelled words.. i am trying to just type and not correct as i go...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree that there does seem to be some animosity as of late. I have seen a few posts that got really negative (a certain top ten list).

I do like the idea though of having an Off Topic or similar area for these types of threads because some can be interesting. I think part of the problem is if you come to the front page instead of the forum listing these issues can dominate all the new postings. This is actually one of the reasons I stopped going to the Solstice forum for a while.

If someone doesn't want to see "Off Topic" threads they should just go straight to the forum list and click on the topic that interests them. At that point just rely on the moderators to make sure the threads that are started fall under the proper topic.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Things can get going a bit -- but unlike many forum I have visited - at least here they seem to get things into the right subject folders (by and large). General Off Topic IS kind self-explanitory and disscussions of all kinds should be expected.:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Things can get going a bit -- but unlike many forum I have visited - at least here they seem to get things into the right subject folders (by and large). General Off Topic IS kind self-explanitory and disscussions of all kinds should be expected.:D
thank you. SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
twirp said:
I for one do not believe this forum is what it once was. The bickering of ongoing threads is a little ridiculos as well. The moderaters seem to allow these threads to get out of hand (tire gators & global warming).There are a few things I would like to see happen on this forum #1 remove the post count like on the Sol forum (it seems to be a competition and nothing else) I feel there was a reason they did it over there. #2 Keep to the Sky issues, there have been some good posts as of late that I think alot of people find useful. #3 Have it mandatory for members to list their state (so others can relate to issue at hand. #4 Do not allow new members to start threads for 30 days. They could be allowed to post, just not start new threads. (it would eliminate some double threads. I hope others contribute to this in a effort to improve this forum as I believe there is lots to improve on. These are my opinions and I could be conviced to change any of them. This forum is a buisiness, if people dont come to it it will close, lets prevent that. Lets give the moderaters our input as how to improve it.:cheers:
:thumbs: The forum has changed from when I first joined, things getting a little off track at times, and getting a suspension was unheard of. Let's just get it all on track again, back tothe good old days, where we learned and laughed:D while doing it:thumbs: Once again the old man is ramblin' on & on & on:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Humor and opinions can be offensive, therefore they should be avoided.

If we just post facts then everybody will be happy.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've been on this forum since May. And have noticed threads going astray...but we as adults have right to associate with the negative responses, or not. I choose not! :thumbs:
I'm just absorbing everything I can about the SATURN SKY! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This is true, but if we just stuck to Sky facts, not many of us are that expert on this vehicle, I am surely not. Not tomany of us could post if that was the case. Hold it, before you throw that rock, it is just an opinion, not a fact:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Let's face it...no matter how many rules or regulations you impose, there will always be infractions as long as someone is willing to be rude, ignorant or crass. That's what seems to happen around here every once in a while, that's for sure.

If everyone would simply be considerate of others in their posts, I imagine most of the problems could be avoided entirely.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't confuse me with your facts, I know what I know! :nono:

:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Ernest said:
...it is just an opinion, not a fact:lol: :lol:
Troublemaker.

Oooh! I think that was an opinion. Sorry!

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is perhaps the most civilized forum I've come across anywhere in cyberspace.

I think there are a very very few people who are hypersensitive. Have any of you complainers been ANYWHERE on the Internet?? This is about as good as it gets

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
twirp said:
I for one do not believe this forum is what it once was. The bickering of ongoing threads is a little ridiculos as well. The moderaters seem to allow these threads to get out of hand (tire gators & global warming).There are a few things I would like to see happen on this forum #1 remove the post count like on the Sol forum (it seems to be a competition and nothing else) I feel there was a reason they did it over there. #2 Keep to the Sky issues, there have been some good posts as of late that I think alot of people find useful. #3 Have it mandatory for members to list their state (so others can relate to issue at hand. #4 Do not allow new members to start threads for 30 days. They could be allowed to post, just not start new threads. (it would eliminate some double threads. I hope others contribute to this in a effort to improve this forum as I believe there is lots to improve on. These are my opinions and I could be conviced to change any of them. This forum is a buisiness, if people dont come to it it will close, lets prevent that. Lets give the moderaters our input as how to improve it.:cheers:
Thanks for the comments, twirp.

Over at solsticeforum, I talked with friends who admin or moderate other forums, as well as lots of discussion with the supermoderator group on how to continue to improve both forums.

Eliminating the post count was one - and just hasn't been implemented here yet.

Mandatory state listing - not sure why this is relavant. It's not relevant in any other forum other than interest.

We were going to eliminate "new members starting threads" when we had a spam problem at first over at SF. More experienced administrators advised against this for a couple of reasons. The most convincing, the new threads just get shifted to off-topic hijacked posts in incorrect threads. A sort of "well, since I can't start a new thread, and can't get what I need from the search function, I'll just tack my seat question at the end of the most active thread (the one on turbo power delivery)".

In essence, it wouldn't solve the noob issue of starting redundant thread - just shift it to increased topic hijacking.

Guaranteed - the next post would be admonition toward the noob poster for hijacking the thread... and <john madden voice> "Booom! that guy looks like he got hit by a freight train" </john madden voice> :D

But it is refreshing to see that I'm not the only one that is concerned about the general attitude lately...

-Keepin' the faith that we'll turn 'er around,
KappaMan.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
twirp said:
Mandatory state listing - not sure why this is relavant. It's not relevant in any other forum other than interest.

Just like when people were talking about the no front plate issue yesterday, I know some of the state laws in Texas but not all other states, when the person fails to mention where they are from it may help, also it would be nice to see where all the skys are. I did not find it to be an issue , just an aid. Some people may want to also PM others in their area.
You could initiate a list thread - members post their name or location.

·
Registered
432 Posts
twirp said:
#4 Do not allow new members to start threads for 30 days. They could be allowed to post, just not start new threads. (it would eliminate some double threads.
The reason I searched online and joined this forum is because I had questions about the SKY and was looking for answers. If new members can't ask questions for 30 days, then why is the forum even here? I don't think every question has been answered in previous threads; there are always new questions!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts