Saturn Sky Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect to turn the Sky site on live Monday before lunch.

We will be shutting down posting in this section Sunday night or early Monday morning. Then we will transfer all of the threads in this section to the new site.

We will also transfer all existing users on Solsticeforum to SkyRoadster. After that, user registrations will be site by site. New members after that point will need to register in both places. It's just going to be too complicated to try to do it another way at this point.

We will also transfer all Sky photos into the new Sky pic gallery at SkyRoadster.

The site is not 100% completed. It only has a temporary logo for example. It should get us up and running for now though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Awesome news Troy! Its too bad that cross registration isn't going to work, but at least everyone onboard now will be all set on the new site! :thumbs It will also give these Sky faithful a permanent home, even if there is still a little painting and hammering to do in some rooms. :smile

:cheers

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Awesome.

I'm never going to get any work done ever again now that there's two sites I have to stay ontop of all day. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, wait until we get some good news on the Solstice, although I believe the SkyRoaster site (my home for now) will be sort of quiete, since the car really does not go on sale until Jan/Feb of 2006. Great job Troy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
brentil said:
Awesome.

I'm never going to get any work done ever again now that there's two sites I have to stay ontop of all day. :D

Hope you don't go :brentil: while :leaving between sites or you'll end up in the Twilight Zone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO splitting into two seperate sites isn't a good thing. Once people get these cars and want to talk about performance mods, maintenance issues, autoX, etc. everything will appliy to both cars and that should be shared discussion.

I am sure Camaro/Firebird owners appreciated all the f-body sites rather than being segregated.

When meets eventually take place you can bet people with both cars will want to take part in the events. Why should they not do so online as well?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Slipstream said:
IMO splitting into two seperate sites isn't a good thing. Once people get these cars and want to talk about performance mods, maintenance issues, autoX, etc. everything will appliy to both cars and that should be shared discussion.

I am sure Camaro/Firebird owners appreciated all the f-body sites rather than being segregated.

When meets eventually take place you can bet people with both cars will want to take part in the events. Why should they not do so online as well?
This is what Troy wants to do, and since he owns them it's his decision. That doesn't stop anyone else from making their own Kappa mega site. I believe there's one already, but this is the largest most active community of them all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A decision like this is always a tough call. I looked at my Corvette site as an example.

There are sites that are good to visit as a vette owner that go across models. www.ls1tech.com www.ls1.com etc... But it still makes sense to have a dedicated Corvette site. We have a camaraderie with other vette owners as well as specific tech info for vettes of course.

While this situation is probably not exactly the same, some of the above still holds true. We may even find that Sky owners and Solstice owners are completely different breeds of enthusiasts.

We may be able to do something technically in the future that would allow us to share some sections across sites more easily. In that case we may share some tech sections that go across models. We may also be able to combine events info.

The point now is to get started. We can tweak it as we go.

Don't forget who owns www.kappaforum.com, btw. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Also the Sky and the Solstice will be very identical for years 1 and 2 for sure, but who knows what will happen as the brands mature. There might be some major differences over time that make the two cars very unique.

Hey, look at that. A WhoIs of www.kappaforum.com brings up an owner name of... dun-dun-dun

Troy Roberts!!! :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Slipstream said:
Yes but it is our duty to voice our opinions isn't it. :patriot
I certainly cannot speak for anyone else, but offering thoughts and suggestions for what anyone thinks would make the forum better isn't a bad thing. :thumbs

I tend to agree on the technical side that a combined forum may be better, especially initially. On the flip side, I'd like to see the cars develop their own personality, and seperate forums will help promote that.

As the forums grow in size, I am sure plenty of people will frequent both to offer good technical information. We'll see how it goes. :cool

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree we need to start some where for now, but Troy really think about doing something for the Technical side in the future, I believe the SKYroadster forum will not be to active for the next 6 or 8 month, so maybe you can come up with an answer by then.
Oh, Troy thanks for all your hard work. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Just thought of this...

eventually, solsticeforum and skyroadster could link back to "Kappaforum.com", and everything could be merged into one site.

Then there's opelGT, or OpelKappa, or Opelroadster or eurokappa or whatever is coming down the pike...

then nomad :)rolleyes), ...you see where I'm going.

If there was one kappaforum, then all kappa variant URL's could lead there... just thinking.

Like TR said, it is a tough call - no way to tell how much the platform is going to or not going to spin off, and how much the Sky and Solstice will differ from each other and from the Opel... we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
I expect to turn the Sky site on live Monday before lunch.

We will be shutting down posting in this section Sunday night or early Monday morning. Then we will transfer all of the threads in this section to the new site.

We will also transfer all existing users on Solsticeforum to SkyRoadster. After that, user registrations will be site by site. New members after that point will need to register in both places. It's just going to be too complicated to try to do it another way at this point.

We will also transfer all Sky photos into the new Sky pic gallery at SkyRoadster.

The site is not 100% completed. It only has a temporary logo for example. It should get us up and running for now though.
Is this still going to happen this week?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. We ran into some problems this morning due to the release versions of vbulletin being different. We need to install the latest vb and photopost.

We should get that done tomorrow. If we have the time after that we will still do that transfer tomorrow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I found the lettering was hard to read.
Background was to light for white lettering

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
airbalancer said:
I found the lettering was hard to read.
Background was to light for white lettering
The html pages are only temporary. The forum does not have white lettering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.