Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting my first car for my son soon, and as long as he finishes his Senior year with a good GPA [which he has maintained all through highschool], I am willing to get him any car he wants up to $30,000 in value. He immediately selected the Saturn Sky -- Graphite Silver on Black and Red leather, 5 speed automatic and Monsoon audio package. While I'm willing to pay the $26,385 that it comes out to, and the insurance premiums and even his first tank of gas, I want to know if this is a good idea for his first car. He's been driving my BMW X5 for a while, and its not his first time on the road, but I understand this car has other problems; namely how low to the ground it is. He's a smart kid and he's responsible, so I don't mind getting him a "sports car"; especially one that concentrates on looks, not speed. But will it be hard for him to drive over everyday obstacles? Speedbumps, driveways; will this all be a problem?

Please help me out,
Xero.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I , myself, would see no problem if you dont mind spending the money..... the only issue i would notice , since i let my 18 yr old son drive mine once.... is speedbumps, curb corners and paying attention to the DISTRACITONS THEY GET WHILE DRIVING... especially girls..... LOLOL...... as long as they dont go to the frat house and pack in 20 guys..... he should do great...... or maybe the sorority house..... but, then, they may have to figure out a way to get more girls in... OH... just kidding.... SON, DONT DO THAT....... WE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND YOU SHOULDNT TRY THAT TIL YOU ARE OLDER.... anyway..... have fun and show us pics when you get it. SkyBaby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I , myself, would see no problem if you dont mind spending the money..... the only issue i would notice , since i let my 18 yr old son drive mine once.... is speedbumps, curb corners and paying attention to the DISTRACITONS THEY GET WHILE DRIVING... especially girls..... LOLOL...... as long as they dont go to the frat house and pack in 20 guys..... he should do great...... or maybe the sorority house..... but, then, they may have to figure out a way to get more girls in... OH... just kidding.... SON, DONT DO THAT....... WE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND YOU SHOULDNT TRY THAT TIL YOU ARE OLDER.... anyway..... have fun and show us pics when you get it. SkyBaby
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply!
Yeah, haha, he's not much of the party type -- I hope. But this car is definately what he wants, and knowing that my S430 will hit 60MPH before he will keeps me worry free about any racing urges he may have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I appreciate your input, the question isn't whether I'm going to buy him a car -- four years ago, me and him made a deal that if he maintained a 3.8GPA all through high school, he'd get a car upto $30,000.
Thats hard work too, and he managed to do it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has he had another car that he's been regularly driving since he was 16? If not, then my answer is no. I don't have kids, but I remember how many of my friends, myself included, that managed to wreck our first car because our lack of experience. Several people have commented on how this car can fishtail in rainy weather. That's what I would be worried about if I was buying a Sky for my kid.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dont think it would be a good car for 3 reasons...its sits very low to the floor, Blind spots and those drivers that don't pay attention because they are to busy staring at the sky are a real hazard. You also have to think that hes been driving an SUV and driving the sky compared to an SUV is totally different, you sit high in an SUV and you can see everything and you can take on any bump that crosses your way.......But it would be a cool car for a teen to be seen in, everybody will become his best friend! :thumbs:

oh and lets not forget to mention all the racing challenges he will get while hes driving....My first day out the dealer I had 3 of them....Your kid may be mature but what will happend when he is with a buddy and he gets challenged to a race and his buddy is there cheering him on to do it.

Anyway.....If that was my 1st car I would be one happy camper :cheers: And if my dad would have bought it for me I would love him forever LOL

I had to buy me 1st car...it was one piece of [email protected] ford!! When you buy your own car you learn to appreciate it more even if it is a piece of crap.

If you do get him a sky dont get him the redline because that just asking for trouble....Just take a look at the Neon SRT4 for example....a turbocharged car that us younger folks can afford....everybody started pushing them and causing accidents and now its one of the most expensive cars to insure because of it.

Marco

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im am currently a college student that has reserved a SKY Redline. My parents havent paid for any of my cars but this will be my third.....not cuz ive wrecked the others....but because i have worked to upgrade my ride. I dont really think the $30,000 thing is that great an idea....but thats not what youre asking. i say that the sky is a "good" car but if you want him to have a safe car i would say it isnt.....its not to bad, but just the fact that its a convertible makes it a little vulnerable. Oh yeah, a guy above me said something about people wanting to race. Its gonna happen with this car....it happens with my car and i just have a Grand Am GT.....this car is going to demand speed. But its up to you....Im sure he is a responsible guy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
After reading this you must honor this deal no matter what you think....thinking back as I kid the #1 thing I hated was when my parents broke a promise. :banghead: After a while I just stop believing them.

Marco
:cheers:

While I appreciate your input, the question isn't whether I'm going to buy him a car -- four years ago, me and him made a deal that if he maintained a 3.8GPA all through high school, he'd get a car upto $30,000.
Thats hard work too, and he managed to do it.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Seems like someone is a little jealous
Jealous? What's with that? You don't know anything about me except that I gave you an honest answer to your question. This IS a car that roadster lovers have waited literally a lifetime for. I have both a Sky and a son who's GPA blows yours away including honors courses and advance placement (without having to be bribed to achieve, btw), so please keep your snide comments to yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is one solution I think you might want to add when he gets the keys. Since I am sure you will still be paying his college bill for the next 4 years.

If he receives more then 2 tickets in a 6 month period for speeding the car is locked up in the garage for 6 months.
I say this because my brothers first ride was a special GT Ford Mustang Convertable. After 6 months he had 8 tickets and finally one big wreck. I am happy to say he lived. But his then girlfriend ended up in the hospital for 4 months. She almost did not make it. Should have seen my mother at her bed side every single day she was in the hospital. It made me cry for both of them.
Now I know your son is not my brother, but sometimes its good to be caring and strict when they are so young.
If you are lucky enough to have a good insurance agent, you can call them every now and then to have them pull your sons driving record. They can tell you in a week if he has any speeding violations.
Just a word of advice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A deal is a deal, so whether we think its right to give the keys to a $30K car to a teen is a mute point.

Stil, I think this would be a poor choice for 2 reasons:

1.) The Blind spots for the driver with the top UP are just awful. Its tough enough for an experienced driver to work the rear view mirrors properly.

2.) The low front end will just get killed by an inexperienced driver. Just IMHO.

I'd be more comfortable with him using this as a "borrow" car in good weather with the top down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only good thing about the Sky as a first car, IMO, is that it's a two-seater. Young drivers get exponentially more stupid with each friend who's in the car with them. That said, I'd think a car with more utility is a better choice. If he's going to college, he'll need room to haul stuff. Speaking from experience.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's been said here before - a deal is a deal. I would try to steer away from the SKY as a reward for a few reasons.

1) It sits very low and unless he has had a lot of experience doing the "California crawl" over speed bumps and driveways - enough so that it is second nature - the front end will get torn up.

2) It sits very low relative to other cars on the road. Again, experience teaches how to watch every other car on the road, knowing that all the other drivers are out to kill you.

3) The temptation, note temptation, to race this little jem around the corners is almost impossible to resist. I'm older, should know better, and it's hard for me too.

Now keep in mind I am NOT against giving you son a new car. My recommendation would be to opt for something else. That said - I love my SKY and if you feel he is responsible enough and disciplined enough as a driver - go for it.

:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts