Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see what you guys think of how well this car will handle?? I am hoping it will handle as well as a miata but since it is heaver I am not so sure it will. but I could be wrong. I really love the look of this car, and I cant wait to drive one!! but I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this matter.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
enderokc said:
I am curious to see what you guys think of how well this car will handle?? I am hoping it will handle as well as a miata but since it is heaver I am not so sure it will. but I could be wrong. I really love the look of this car, and I cant wait to drive one!! but I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this matter.
The suspension is supposedly going to be slightly lighter then the Solstice to let it fit in it's "more posh" realm. From articles, quotes, an exerts we've gotten over time at the Solstice forum, we believe the handling target for the Solstice was to aim for the S2000 level of performance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
enderokc said:
do you think it will give an s2000 a good race around an autox track??
i believe according the estimates, the s2000 will have about a half second advantage 0-60 time, and from what i hear the s2000 will be a touch more nimble, but i guess they will be close enough to make it more depend on the driver than anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
enderokc said:
do you think it will give an s2000 a good race around an autox track??
The Miata yes, more then likely not the S2000 with the current model. The S2000 might have less Torque but it defintely has a lot more HP. The Sky/Solstice should perform very well in their stock forms though from everything we've been told.

·
Registered
109 Posts
enderokc said:
I've got a 2003 2.5i 185hp BMW Z4 and I while I don't expect the Sky to be quite as quick, or handle quite as well, I do expect it will come close - and that's good enough for me.
My only concern in that dept is the 18" std 245/45's as the ride may be a little harsh (for my taste).
My Z4's got the std 16" 225/55 runflats and the ride is perfect (for me) - not too hard and not too soft, - just right. A few folks on the Z4 MB have commented that the 18" wheels/tires can be a little on the harsh/hard side..
Maybe the non-runflats will be a little better than the runflats (more flexible sidewalls)..
But given the Sky's price point, I'm betting the bang for the buck ride will beat any imported roadster. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
SkyHawk said:
My Z4's got the std 16" 225/55 runflats and the ride is perfect (for me) - not too hard and not too soft, - just right. A few folks on the Z4 MB have commented that the 18" wheels/tires can be a little on the harsh/hard side..
those wheels are lighter too, so it would be more nimble.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I think a well run S2K will do 0-60 in about 5.9 seconds.

The 2.4L 177 hp Sol' is supposed to do 0-60 in 7.2 (AutoWeek/MotorTrend estimate). That's a 2+ second advantage to the S2K in acceleration.

So on a road race track, I'd expect the S2K to dominate just because of the power:weight advantage.

On an autoX course, the Solstice seems to have a Power:weight advantage over the Miata, but then it's wider than a Miata, so I bet the matchup between those two will be pretty interesting - my money is on the Solstice just because of the potential due to the tire size/width, and the knowlege that GM had in trying to beat the Miata at it's own game.

Dunno 'bout the NC Miata.

BTW, heavier doesn't mean worse handling. The Corvette is much heavier than the S2000, but the S2K scored 5th or 4th place, and the 'Vette 1st in the latest performance car shootout in Road&Track this month.

The key to a heavier car having good handling is appropriately sized tires - something that should be very good on the Solstice. The P245/45R18 tire has a very high load rating (96? I think), and is used on a car (the Nissan Maxima) that's several hunded pounds heavier than the Solstice, especially since not only is it heavier, the Maxima is a FWD, making the front tires even more loaded.

Generally, as a rule of thumb, the higher the load rating for a hi-perf tire, the more overall grip you have, and the stiffer the tire will be for handling. I don't want to bore anyone with the math details, but all indications are, even on an all-season tire, the size of the Solstice/Sky tire is way more than enough to produce great overall handling. I think the S2K, which is about the same weight as the Solstice, uses 89 and 91 load rated tires by contrast.

On run-flats, SkyHawk, there are HUGE differences in ride. So if you are happy with your run-flats at a 225/55 sidewall, you'll think a Non-run-flat 245/45 will ride like a caddy in comparison. I'd bet you a coffee you'd be very happy with the Sky ride - even though it's an 18". You also get some ride benefits with a double-wishbone suspension (over the strut-type suspension of the Z4) that allow tuners to play with other compliances that are locked-in (coupled) for a strut suspension.

BMW also uses a P245/45 R18 on one of their models - a run-flat. And it is a brick-hard ride. And the difference between the C5 'vette and the C5 Z06 is amazing, even though the Z06 is tuned to be stiffer, it rides better than the C5 run-of-the-mill, run-flat equipped 'vette.

·
Registered
109 Posts
kappaman said:
........................On run-flats, SkyHawk, there are HUGE differences in ride. So if you are happy with your run-flats at a 225/55 sidewall, you'll think a Non-run-flat 245/45 will ride like a caddy in comparison. I'd bet you a coffee you'd be very happy with the Sky ride - even though it's an 18". You also get some ride benefits with a double-wishbone suspension (over the strut-type suspension of the Z4) that allow tuners to play with other compliances that are locked-in (coupled) for a strut suspension.
Thanks for that Kappaman. I was kinda hoping that was the case.. :cheers:

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is the legroom/headroom. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyHawk said:
Thanks for that Kappaman. I was kinda hoping that was the case.. :cheers:

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is the legroom/headroom. :confused:
It should be the same as the Solstice, which several people have been to the recent shows and gotten good news on that. One of the reps was 6'3" and he sat in the car for everyone to see. He apparently had plenty of room left after getting in. From everythign we've read, the Solstice will have more interior space then the S2000 or NB Miata.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just from a speculation standpoint, how do you guys think technically the suspension set ups will differ between the sky and solstice? different tuning of the coilovers? different actual spring rates? different diamete sway bars?

just wonderin....

kris

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'd bet if the Sol' does well, the Sky will follow suit. If there's things to improve on the Sol', then the Sky will be improved.

I think the changes will and should be minor, if at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think I read that the Sky will have coil overs, is that right? So we should be able to adjust ride height and lower the car if we want. That is a good sign I guess for those that want to race their cars. I imagine it would also allow for adjustments in camber. With those adjustments you should be able to tweak it and make it a pretty sweet handling car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
that would be nice!

i had always just assumed i would go with airbags on the next car, but the more i hear about this suspension, the less i want to change it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The diff between the Sol and Sky will probably be shock tuning and engine and trans mounts (I read somewhere the engine mounts are hydraulic).

Changing spring rates adds unnecessary cost, same with sway bars, although these have been different among platforms before.

Coilover shocks are adjustable on race type aftermarket setups because they have threaded sleeves which allow movement of the bottom spring seat. A production car with coilovers will not be adjustable like this since they will not have threaded bodies, you would need to buy aftermarket threaded shocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a bummer. I looked at some coilovers for my car last summer but deemed them unnecessary since I don't race it. So I got a tokico shock/strut and spring kit that lowered the car an inch or so. I'll have to check out this setup to see what I can do. It says it comes with bilstien shocks maybe I will throw some eibach springs on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
The diff between the Sol and Sky will probably be shock tuning and engine and trans mounts (I read somewhere the engine mounts are hydraulic).

Changing spring rates adds unnecessary cost, same with sway bars, although these have been different among platforms before.

Coilover shocks are adjustable on race type aftermarket setups because they have threaded sleeves which allow movement of the bottom spring seat. A production car with coilovers will not be adjustable like this since they will not have threaded bodies, you would need to buy aftermarket threaded shocks.
Someone will probably come out with, or should, a coilover similar to what is on all ATV's and a lot of dirt bikes. The bottom of the spring support simply is stepped and you rotate the sleeve with a special tool to change the setting - no removal necessary. The other tried and true quick fix for added stiffness is rubber inserts between the coils. Sure it will take a little more than 11.2 seconds to change two rear rubbers , 4 tires all around and top off with 11 gals of Sunoco racing fuel, but we're not racing against MonteCarlos and Tauruses.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
achieftain said:
Someone will probably come out with, or should, a coilover similar to what is on all ATV's and a lot of dirt bikes. The bottom of the spring support simply is stepped and you rotate the sleeve with a special tool to change the setting - no removal necessary. The other tried and true quick fix for added stiffness is rubber inserts between the coils. Sure it will take a little more than 11.2 seconds to change two rear rubbers , 4 tires all around and top off with 11 gals of Sunoco racing fuel, but we're not racing against MonteCarlos and Tauruses.
They have those types of shocks for cars already. You just jack them up and change the height. You can even buy electronic suspension control kits that you mount in your car and it has predefined settings. You hit a button and your shocks auto adjust to various heights. The Porsche SUV comes with a system like this stock as do several other vehicles. They put a set of them into a Miata on Tuner Transformation a while back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts