Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sky in Chinese

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Yogi Bear’s Dad 
#1 ·
I was playing around with a few possible caligraphy styles for the word SKY in Chinese. Here's what I came up with!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
hee heh heh..........are you sure that is the Chinese symbol for Sky? It looks like the symbol for "man". By the way, I sure hope that wasn't a red sharpie you used on your Kappa Shield.......................:cool:

#4 ·
SkyRaider said:
hee heh heh..........are you sure that is the Chinese symbol for Sky? It looks like the symbol for "man". By the way, I sure hope that wasn't a red sharpie you used on your Kappa Shield.......................:cool:
:lol: :lol: That is what I am hoping it doesn't say. Lipstick could be safer depending on whose it is and who is asking.

#6 ·
Magna Sky said:
I was playing around with a few possible caligraphy styles for the word SKY in Chinese. Here's what I came up with!

I am just tossing this out here and I assure everyone I am not trying to incite a riot. Why would you want to put SKY in Chinese on the American car you tried so hard to get? I would understand if it was a foreign import sports car. If it has some personal meaning for you then please excuse the intrusion of my opinion.

#7 ·
marklynn70 said:
I am just tossing this out here and I assure everyone I am not trying to incite a riot. Why would you want to put SKY in Chinese on the American car you tried so hard to get? I would understand if it was a foreign import sports car. If it has some personal meaning for you then please excuse the intrusion of my opinion.
Maybe he is Chinese??? Then it would certainly make perfect sence.

#8 ·
CdnSkyGuy said:
Maybe he is Chinese??? Then it would certainly make perfect sence.
As I stated If it has some personal meaning for the individual then please excuse the intrusion of my opinion. Anything is possible and I am sure the reason why will soon be listed here and then we will all have the insight I seek.

#9 ·
Heh

It is indeed a red permanent marker, and I am asian! It actually looks much better in person, IMO, than on the picture. But in anycase, I figure a touch of personalization is called for since it is a character I like. It has other meanings too, but SKY is direct translation for it. Writing on there was fun, and I tested in the corner, if I really wanted to, a solution of lime/water will remove it! SO, don't worry about my kappashield, I've already gotten quite a few compliments from my Chinese/Asian community on that touch. Of course they were more amazed that Saturn came up with such a fitting car to go with the character's diverse meanings...

#10 · (Edited)
Magna Sky said:
Sorry to say that you are missing one carracter from the correct translation. The one you have shown is the first, but there is a second too. The correct one looks like the following: 天空 I believe your version says "Day"

#11 · (Edited)
really?

What part of China/Dialect of Chinese did you learn? The version I used is the one I've been taught as being "SKY" its variants references "god" "higher 'things'" and some other less transferable characters. But then, I learned "Chinese-Vietnamese" it's a mid level chinese that most people, unless you're a Vietnamese scholar, do not know/use anymore. I don't recognize the second part of your combination, the letter combination for "day" I've been taught is different. Consisting of the words "sun" and "sky" Let me know please, just a scholar's curiousity.

#12 ·
Sarcasm mode on

marklynn70 said:
Right - so anything other than Native American symbols are off limits. :D

I am all for symbology that has deeper or multiple meanings - but I would also have no problem if the person just thought hey that would be cool. Why would they have to BE asian for that to make sense? Maybe they are into martial arts - or the study of asian culture - or is an art student - in the end so long as it is not hurting anyone what is the problem?

And I do recognise that you clearly stated that it was your opinion - and I am not trying to be rude or mean or anything here either - just making a coupe of observations - that outward appearances may be deceiving and the line between supporting your country and being intolerant of others may not even be a line so much as a huge gray area.

ala South Park - we don't take kindly to folk who don't kindly 'round here.

#13 ·
My wife is Chinese so I will try to remember to ask her the correct character writing for Sky. Not sure if traditional or simplified makes a difference either if you want a more Hong Kong style or pre-communist mainland style you will want traditional characters, if you want a more mainland contemporary style you will want simplified.

My Chinese writing is limited to pinyin so by myself I am of no help, haha.

#14 ·
Magna Sky said:
What part of China/Dialect of Chinese did you learn? The version I used is the one I've been taught as being "SKY" its variants references "god" "higher 'things'" and some other less transferable characters. But then, I learned "Chinese-Vietnamese" it's a mid level chinese that most people, unless you're a Vietnamese scholar, do not know/use anymore. I don't recognize the second part of your combination, the letter combination for "day" I've been taught is different. Consisting of the words "sun" and "sky" Let me know please, just a scholar's curiousity.

I am going by my translator I use to write my office in Hong Kong. From what they said, the first symbol is like "day" and "sun". With the other symbol, it says "Sky". I am not a scholar, but I heavily rely on my translator for Simplified Han. Here is a picture of the translation, as I noticed that the symbol does not come over correctly on a PC (my computer shows the Chinese symbols where I typed, but at work it shows other symbols). I would check out several natural speakers to make sure you have the correct way of displaying the symbols so you don't make a mistake and insult someone:) Kind of like GM did with the NOVA in South America...NOVA = No go... now try selling a car that in its own name it states it won't work! You may just have it wrong, then again you may have it correct- just make sure.

Attachments

#15 ·
Well..

Depending on your region/dialect certain spoken/writen forms of characters will vary. I'm sure in some circles, the "accepted" character for SKY is what you put. However, amongst all the people I know, my version is accepted. Potato, potato kind of distinction I suppose. I do not believe I am wrong, but then, what is right? Consider too, the phonetic uses in translators sometimes. In anycase, this has been educational, I'm glad you brought that alternate combination for Sky to my attention. Thank you :)

#16 ·
I just want you to make sure it is correct...granted, it is most likely close enough for anyone. I just know that if I tried doing it, I would spend a lot of money getting a really cool symbol going and find out later that it actually ment "butt head" or something of the like.:rolleyes:

#17 ·
marklynn70 said:
no different than people with foreign cars putting american flags and other patriotic things on them... even though I do think it is kind of tacky....
why not just put an american eagle on it instead...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.