Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
Well that first image defintely proves the air outlets on the quarter panels is non-functional.
I have seen pictures of the one on the drivers side and it looks open, i just hope on the production Sky they make them both open or at least black out the one on the passenger side.otherwise i know what I am going to do first thing, black out tape
edit:
ok i was wrong, but it looks like there may be several different designs out there, this silver one looks like the side vents are much deeper than that red one was. but then again it could just be the lighting... Dang
http://www.skyroadster.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=485&sort=2&cat=3033&page=9

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The original hand built Sky used at NAIAS05 appeared to have open vents. But these most recent builds are not functional.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I suspect you'd be better off without functional sidevents. I'd worry about
grit and grime coming from the wheels and streaking the side panel aft
of the vents. You also might possibly get unwanted whistling noises from the airflow. Anyone out there ever owned a car with vents in that position?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
kingarthur said:
I suspect you'd be better off without functional sidevents. I'd worry about
grit and grime coming from the wheels and streaking the side panel aft
of the vents. You also might possibly get unwanted whistling noises from the airflow. Anyone out there ever owned a car with vents in that position?
I had a 65 Stingray, no noise from them... plus the front wheelwells have a liner so no way they can throw dirt and grime up and through them , they just exhaust hot air from the engine compartment. helps with the cooling

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
brentil said:
The original hand built Sky used at NAIAS05 appeared to have open vents. But these most recent builds are not functional.
Having seen that car up close at the 05 NAIAS, (unfortunately I did not get a picture of it) I can say the side vents on that car were non-functional, too. Deeper than the more recent cars, but definitely non-functional.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
kappaman said:
Having seen that car up close at the 05 NAIAS, (unfortunately I did not get a picture of it) I can say the side vents on that car were non-functional, too. Deeper than the more recent cars, but definitely non-functional.
Ahhh ok. Yeah, that's why I went with appeared to be functional because they were deep enough to cast a shadow dark enough inside of itself that it looked in images to end as an opening instead of being closed. These newer models though are shallow enough apparently that you can see the end of them as being wrapped around on itself as the same color as the panel.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
brentil said:
Ahhh ok. Yeah, that's why I went with appeared to be functional because they were deep enough to cast a shadow dark enough inside of itself that it looked in images to end as an opening instead of being closed. These newer models though are shallow enough apparently that you can see the end of them as being wrapped around on itself as the same color as the panel.
I'm thinking about having holes punched in them and getting lights installed to cast a red glow down the sides. The guy who did all of the aftermarket stuff on my current car really likes the idea and thinks it should be pretty easy. I just have to figure out if it'll be ghetto or not.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
classic66vair said:
I have seen pictures of the one on the drivers side and it looks open, i just hope on the production Sky they make them both open or at least black out the one on the passenger side.otherwise i know what I am going to do first thing, black out tape
edit:
ok i was wrong, but it looks like there may be several different designs out there, this silver one looks like the side vents are much deeper than that red one was. but then again it could just be the lighting... Dang
http://www.skyroadster.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=485&sort=2&cat=3033&page=9
You reference my photos I touched as well not functional. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts