Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
GM has the Sky official press release/webcast later today.

WEBCAST - January 9, 2005, 5:40 p.m. EST - NAIAS - Saturn Sky and Aura
Hoping for a bit more news with this, and some action shots instead of stills.

·
Registered
138 Posts
brentil said:
GM has the Sky official press release/webcast later today.
Hoping for a bit more news with this, and some action shots instead of stills.
Does the webcast offer a link so public can watch or only press?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
mceb said:
Does the webcast offer a link so public can watch or only press?
Actually yes. And these are NAIAS webcasts, not LA AUto Show stuff. So I'm hoping for even more info.

http://media.gm.com/

There are actually 4 webcasts available over today and tomorrow.
  • WEBCAST - January 9, 2005, 11:15 a.m. EST - NAIAS - Advanced Technology News Conference
  • WEBCAST - January 9, 2005, 5:40 p.m. EST - NAIAS - Saturn Sky and Aura
  • WEBCAST - January 10, 2005, 2:05 p.m. EST - NAIAS - Corvette Z06 and C6R
  • WEBCAST - January 10, 2005, 2:05 p.m. EST - NAIAS - Cadillac STS-V
I'm going to be watching all of these, because they're all going to be vey interesting.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reminder, Sky unveiling at Detroit is online now. Replays will be online later.

Intro was pretty quick, described Sky as a "signature vehicle" for Saturn, mentioned it has a manual top, simple but sophisticated interior, available in early 2006. They also mentioned the "core buying experience" of Saturn's no haggle price and their after-sale experience.

Overall they mentioned Saturn will double it's porfolio of products in next couple of years.

Lot's of flashbulbs going off when it rolled out onto the stage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks like we have firm confirmation, manual folding top., that's what the webcast persons from SAturn actually said. And, if saturn has this, I assume it's very unlikely the solstice would be the one to get a power top, or retractable hard top. thoughts.........?

·
Registered
2 Posts
RODEO said:
Looks like we have firm confirmation, manual folding top., that's what the webcast persons from SAturn actually said. And, if saturn has this, I assume it's very unlikely the solstice would be the one to get a power top, or retractable hard top. thoughts.........?
That makes sense for several reasons:
1. power and hard top folding roofs are expensive and it would not be likely that the Soltice (under $20K MSRP) and the Sky (LT $25K MSRP) would have a folding roof ala the SLK.
2. power and hard top folding roofs are heavy and would add unnecessary and unwanted weight as well as negatively impact the reported near 50/50 weight distribution.

BTW, I currently have a 2003 BMW Z4 and really like the looks of the Sky.
If it handles/performs close to my Z4, I'll get one for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The video replay is now up on http://media.gm.com
All I have to say is man man man I wish I was one of those several hundred media people who got to swarm the Sky at the end of the session. There were so many people running up to look at it and take pictures.

Also if you listen when the guy walks up to turn the Sky on to move it, there is a definate rumble coming from the car that can be heard being picked up by the speakers mic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
wow

Just watched the video replay of Bob Lutz and he did say Soltice this SUMMER! But now I'm torn, the new 240hp G6 GTP retractable sure looks like a winner as well - or 303hp grand prix gxp, double wow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solstice available

Just saw a Pontiac commercial as part of the Detroit Auto Show and it had the Solstice with a note at the bottom saying available summer 2005

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
visserhawk said:
That makes sense for several reasons:
1. power and hard top folding roofs are expensive and it would not be likely that the Soltice (under $20K MSRP) and the Sky (LT $25K MSRP) would have a folding roof ala the SLK.
2. power and hard top folding roofs are heavy and would add unnecessary and unwanted weight as well as negatively impact the reported near 50/50 weight distribution.

BTW, I currently have a 2003 BMW Z4 and really like the looks of the Sky.
If it handles/performs close to my Z4, I'll get one for sure.
The number one reason to assume that GM will have a manual softtop on the Solstice (and hence Kappa). That is the top that has been on all of the test mules in magazine articles, and on all the developmental cars we have gotten spy photographs of. If GM was going to go with a hardtop, they would be driving hardtop cars around Detroit and Deleware to test it for leakage, squeeks/rattles, fitment issues, etc etc.

I cannot believe how one rumor started by some salesman at a Pontiac dealer has created so much hardtop convertable speculation. Hey Brentil, I think my head is going to ::pop:: soon! :jester

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The number one reason to assume that GM will have a manual softtop on the Solstice (and hence Kappa). That is the top that has been on all of the test mules in magazine articles, and on all the developmental cars we have gotten spy photographs of. If GM was going to go with a hardtop, they would be driving hardtop cars around Detroit and Deleware to test it for leakage, squeeks/rattles, fitment issues, etc etc.

I cannot believe how one rumor started by some salesman at a Pontiac dealer has created so much hardtop convertable speculation. Hey Brentil, I think my head is going to ::pop:: soon! :jester
hehehe welcome to the club. :D

Also I don't think the Solstice which is the back to basics roadster would get the hard top, and the up-scale Sky only get a cloth manual roof.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a peek of the new Sky on CNBC this morning. Looks good, but I could not see it in any detail. They will be doing short reports all day from Detroit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How much do you think the Sky will have those same rubber stops for the roof we see on the LA Auto Show Solstice? Maybe they'll fix it for the Sky, that would make it more upscale right there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're right about the exhaust note, brentil - how sweet it is! 4 cylinders are NOT supposed to sound that good! :) My anticipation meter just jumped a few notches...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't wait for the chicago auto show to see both of these cars, and maybe we will actually be able to see the top up close then

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
ho2go said:
AutoSpies.com has selected the Sky to its "Best Cars at the Detroit Auto Show" list. That's good.

But the Solstice didn't make the list. That's bad.

And the Toyota *Avalon* was ranked above the Sky. That's just a disgrace, plain & simple. What were they thinking??? :smile

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3856
I don't think the Solstice would win this year because it was there last year too. Since it's not as new the 'wow' factor isn't there as much as the Sky since it's new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
brentil said:
I don't think the Solstice would win this year because it was there last year too. Since it's not as new the 'wow' factor isn't there as much as the Sky since it's new.
That's my thought also brentil. The Solstice has been talked about for awhile now. The Sky with it's new body style and concept is very new.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts