Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most know, I was lucky enough to drive a new Sky with the automatic and premium interior today. Let me start out by saying the seats are very good! The leather feels nice and firm with minimal adjustments available. The steering wheel has a great feel with not enough tilt movement for my taste. The shifter and metallic pedals are first notch, no one will disappointed. Plenty of leg room for my 5' 10" large frame in the passenger seat. The car is breath-taking from the outside. Like a mini cool Corvette!

Now for the items that just don't make the grade. The interior plastic is very, very low-grade. Has a hard and rough finish that feels abrasive thoughout the entire interior. The fit of the plastic is also a disappointment. Probably due to the stiffness of the plastic pieces the seams where plastic panels meet are not always snug and tend to have gaps (even around the instrument panel)! Compared to a Honda Civic the Sky interior fit is downright bad. One has to wonder how many creaks and noises will occur; good thing most of us will be driving with the top down :) The sun visors are a joke, they offer little to no blockage of the sun. Jill made the comment while driving that we needed to head in a different direction because there was no way for her to block the sun from hitting her directly in the eyes. The vanity mirror is on the driver's side only, no passenger one; and it's very, very tiny. The cup holders both back and side are thin and can be easily broken; keep your kids away from them. Looking forward to seeing the red/black interior to see if the seams show worse or better.

This is true sports car! Lots of things to love about it, and things to hate. Makes me wonder if another grand was added to the sticker price would it have fixed the things I hate.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Delnari said:
As most know, I was lucky enough to drive a new Sky with the automatic and premium interior today. Let me start out by saying the seats are very good! The leather feels nice and firm with minimal adjustments available. The steering wheel has a great feel with not enough tilt movement for my taste. The shifter and metallic pedals are first notch, no one will disappointed. Plenty of leg room for my 5' 10" large frame in the passenger seat. The car is breath-taking from the outside. Like a mini cool Corvette!

Now for the items that just don't make the grade. The interior plastic is very, very low-grade. Has a hard and rough finish that feels abrasive thoughout the entire interior. The fit of the plastic is also a disappointment. Probably due to the stiffness of the plastic pieces the seams where plastic panels meet are not always snug and tend to have gaps (even around the instrument panel)! Compared to a Honda Civic the Sky interior fit is downright bad. One has to wonder how many creaks and noises will occur; good thing most of us will be driving with the top down :) The sun visors are a joke, they offer little to no blockage of the sun. Jill made the comment while driving that we needed to head in a different direction because there was no way for her to block the sun from hitting her directly in the eyes. The vanity mirror is on the driver's side only, no passenger one; and it's very, very tiny. The cup holders both back and side are thin and can be easily broken; keep your kids away from them. Looking forward to seeing the red/black interior to see if the seams show worse or better.

This is true sports car! Lots of things to love about it, and thinks to hate. Makes me wonder is another grand added to the sticker price would have fixed the things I hate.

how does the grade of the interior plastic and the fit of the interior plastic compare to the solstice? I'm guessing its the same?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is it like the Ion plastic???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Seems to me that the Sky has more of the bad plastic then the Solstice. The Solstice had better material around the instrument area down to the console, where as the Sky has the same hard plastic throughout the entire dash and on the instrument cluster cover too. The door inserts are really nice leather (or leather like material), if the rest of the door panels and dash area where as nice as these inserts this would be a killer interior.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I opened the glove box and it just kinda flops sideways. Some of the interior pieces parts look luxurious and some look cheap. The radio and instrument cluster look top notch and the cup holders look weak especially the one on the passenger side that popped open when my knee bumped it. GM has to cut corners I guess to make a beautiful car like this affordable. :cool:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
usmc said:
how does the grade of the interior plastic and the fit of the interior plastic compare to the solstice? I'm guessing its the same?
It's about the same hard grainy plastic as an MX-5. Par for the course for <$30,000 roadster that emphasizes driving experience.

I, for one, am not that bothered by it. Some people are. I'm glad they spent money on a new suspension (for the Kappa) and top liners and good seals, and didn't sacrifice those for better "plastics" when, in the end, it's still all plastic.

Jus' my HO.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Hmmm, high or low quality plastic.... Is it the plastic it self or fit that makes the quality. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Delnari said:

This is true sports car! Lots of things to love about it, and thinks to hate. Makes me wonder is another grand was added to the sticker price would it have fixed the things I hate.
"Like a mini cool Corvette"

Let's go back...back into time....

Can you say Opel GT? :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I lived in Germany back in the eighties, my German mechanic had a modified 72 Opel GT Manta. I believe it only made 110 HP, but the she was a beauty, and could run hard up and down the mountains! That was a true sports car, no luxury items, basic interior, and a blast to drive.

If we are to consider the Sky as a modern version of the Opel GT then we are ahead...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts