Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using to clean the interior plastic? It doesnt look like a job for Armorall. Also, how about the leather? I assume it has to be conditioned or something. Any input would help.
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
rwood411 said:
What are people using to clean the interior plastic? It doesnt look like a job for Armorall. Also, how about the leather? I assume it has to be conditioned or something. Any input would help.
Thanks
Whatever you do, NEVER use Armorall on anything but your tires. Especially don't use it on plastic. Any auto parts store sells leather conditioner that is supposed to be used on interior leather. The best thing for plastic interior parts is simply water and a SMALL amount of detergent like a dish washing soap. Simply wash it and soft towel it dry. Just my opinion.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
rwood411 said:
Thanks
I personally use the whole line of Meguiar's NXT products and I am very satisfied. There is a product for every surface of your car there. Just my opinion though, I will not speak for him but, Ernest tried some of my speed detailer when we got together he may have an opinion as well. Here is the link so you can see what they have and what you may be interested in.

http://www.meguiars.com/specials/sp...NXT-Generation™-Collection&SKU=NXTS05&CID=438

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
skyboy said:
what's wrong with armorall?
I don't like it because it makes everything shinny (which I do not want my dash board shinny) and dust seems to stick to it (I have my top down all the time).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Armorall is known to cause fading, cracking and drying of the plastic in vehicles. Bad, bad stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I've noticed a lot of dust and pollen likes to get in my car. The bugs seem to like the windshield too. Ive never seen so many bugs splattered on a windshield and front end. Im gonna try to clay the car this weekend if the weather holds up, that oughta get rid of that gunk.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Harly Wax and Rain-X

For the outside, use Harly Way (pure Carnauba - NO abrasives) on all the paint, brightwork and plastic (like the headlight enclosues) and use Rain-X on the glass. Makes the water and gunk bead right off, and keeps bugs from sticking, too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SKYtime said:
Armorall is known to cause fading, cracking and drying of the plastic in vehicles. Bad, bad stuff.
Took the words right out of my mouth...:agree:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interior

rwood411 said:
Thanks
I use Zaino Bros. Leather in a Bottle for the leather seats of the SKY. It is great. I also used there Plastic Cleaner. Big mistake. It left a white residure on the plastic that I could not get off. I tried everything to get rid of it but unfortunately the only thing that worked was Armorall. I used it once and I agree, it was shinny but after time it went away and so did the white residue. I now us a wet towel to clean the plastic. Zaino Bros also sell a tire detail that is fantastic. There products are expensive but I have been detailing cars as a hobby for years an theirs are the best, hands down. My recomendation is try it on a small area first, as the instrucrtions say. Hey, I am a guy, never follow instructions. Just my opinion. Good luck. The car looks great with any product.

·
Registered
255 Posts
marklynn70 said:
I personally use the whole line of Meguiar's NXT products and I am very satisfied. There is a product for every surface of your car there. Just my opinion though, I will not speak for him but, Ernest tried some of my speed detailer when we got together he may have an opinion as well. Here is the link so you can see what they have and what you may be interested in.

http://www.meguiars.com/specials/specials_detail.cfm?name=NXT-Generation™-Collection&SKU=NXTS05&CID=438
Just looked at marklynn's provided website for Meguiar products. I had never heard of the product line, but, after reading about it, the whole line looks really sweet.

Thanks marklynn70, I think I'll try it myself. Of course it is more expensive than the water and dish washing detergent that I have been using. LOL:agree:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jdigiant said:
For the outside, use Harly Way (pure Carnauba - NO abrasives) on all the paint, brightwork and plastic (like the headlight enclosues) and use Rain-X on the glass. Makes the water and gunk bead right off, and keeps bugs from sticking, too.
Don't you have to reapply Rain-X like every two weeks or something? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks marklynn70, I think I'll try it myself. Of course it is more expensive than the water and dish washing detergent that I have been using. LOL:agree:
Glad I could help. I kept picking up different things until I came across the products individually. I did some research and found out you could get everything together in a kit. It is expensive up front but still cheaper than going out and buying everything individually.

Mark

·
Registered
255 Posts
marklynn70 said:
Glad I could help. I kept picking up different things until I came across the products individually. I did some research and found out you could get everything together in a kit. It is expensive up front but still cheaper than going out and buying everything individually.

Mark
Thanks Mark - I have a Advanced Auto Parts store about a block away. I'll see if they carry that brand. If not I'll buy the kit on-line.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SKYtime said:
Don't you have to reapply Rain-X like every two weeks or something? :confused:
I've used RainX in South Florida... one of the rainiest places in the country... for years and it has always lasted for several months before reapplication was necessary

·
Registered
540 Posts
rwood411 said:
Thanks
I dont have my sky yet but I currently have leather interior and I have tried several cleaners - the best cleaner is warm water with a really mild soap. My seats look like new and the car is 7 years old!!

rg

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Rain-X

I find that Rain-X works for a long time, several months. They also make a windshield washer solven (it's green instead of blue) and that works really well too, to reapply a bit every time you squirt.

Rain-X keeps water from accumulating so you can drive without wipers (sometimes at least; if the car in front of you is kicking up a lot of mist then you may need to use the wipers) but it also helps keep bugs from really imbedding themselves into the glass.

I reapply every few months when I apply wax (I like to re-wax several times a year) more out of habit than out of need.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Does anyone have solid tan interior ???? I keep seeing the tan and black combo.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Does anyone have solid tan interior ???? I keep seeing the tan and black combo.
No such thing (as a factory option, anyway) as a solid tan interior. When you order the tan interior, it is a tan/black combo with a tan top. If you want a solid tan interior, you're looking at a custom aftermarket job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts