Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
forgot to mention. Apparently, the OWNER of the dealership I'm working with was picked to be one of the distributors (not builder) of Mallet sky conversions. The GM (General Manager) didn't know how many sky conversions Mallet was going to do but I imagine it will be limited like he did with the Sol. anyway, they have 2 deposits for the conversion. PM (private message) me if you want contact info.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'd just like to make a note that GM is not officialy associated with Mallett.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I still can't believe they are going to put that much HP into that car. I think it's going to take a lot of creativity to get an engine of that size into a car that small.

I must admit I'd live a ride it one though.:thumbs: :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I can get into trouble with just 177HP, 400+HP would probably get me killed .....:nono:
hmm 177HP is just 3 shy from my 2003 Monte Carlo's HP....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rick112 said:
I still can't believe they are going to put that much HP into that car. I think it's going to take a lot of creativity to get an engine of that size into a car that small.

I must admit I'd live a ride it one though.:thumbs: :cool:
have you seen the solstice they did? awesome!

·
Registered
131 Posts
why?

brentil said:
I'd just like to make a note that GM is not officialy associated with Mallett.
Why do you insist on being so sarcastic, r u a dealer? :confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chloe said:
Why do you insist on being so sarcastic, r u a dealer? :confused:
I don;t think he was being sarcastic, just informing that General Motors and Saturn has no connection with Mallet....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No "official" association but dealerships can still become distributors of Mallet products. so their association is between the owner of the dealership and Mallet... not between saturn, general motors and Mallet.

doesn't really matter to us as a customer, if you want a Mallet, you now know one place to get one.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I don;t think he was being sarcastic, just informing that General Motors and Saturn has no connection with Mallet....
I agree he's just giving information although it does come off a bit like a GM exec covering the company ass. But then USMC's post (although probably unintentional) does kinda make it sound like GM is doing the conversions. If you were an outsider to our group you might think it was a GM conversion.

I also agree that (around) 177 HP is enough for me with that car. My Nissan had 140 HP in a 2.0L engine and was a bigger heavier car and most of the time that was enough for that car. I am excited that 177HP will be in such a small car. It will move. I may however have the cold air intake installed to give he just a little extra.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just updated my initial post... hope its not as confusing

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rick112 said:
I agree he's just giving information although it does come off a bit like a GM exec covering the company ass. But then USMC's post (although probably unintentional) does kinda make it sound like GM is doing the conversions. If you were an outsider to our group you might think it was a GM conversion.

I also agree that (around) 177 HP is enough for me with that car. My Nissan had 140 HP in a 2.0L engine and was a bigger heavier car and most of the time that was enough for that car. I am excited that 177HP will be in such a small car. It will move. I may however have the cold air intake installed to give he just a little extra.
I think in the initial post he meant the General Manager(GM), not General Motors...

·
Registered
554 Posts
usmc said:
have you seen the solstice they did? awesome!
Thanks for the good words! She did turn out great! Chuck can do magic with these cars. I just hope my Sky conversion(s) turn out just as nice.

Getting a regular Sky and Redline Sky converted by Mallett Cars this year (hopefully on the Redline). Will post pics as soon as I can. Anybody want to go for a ride? :driving:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Delnari said:
Thanks for the good words! She did turn out great! Chuck can do magic with these cars. I just hope my Sky conversion(s) turn out just as nice.

Getting a regular Sky and Redline Sky converted by Mallett Cars this year (hopefully on the Redline). Will post pics as soon as I can. Anybody want to go for a ride? :driving:
HE** ya I wanna ride!! I'm a V8 guy at heart, mostly classic hotrods. no substitute for cubic inches.

when they do the conversion, don't they pretty much replace everything ie.. suspension, rearend,tranny, engine.. etc.?
reason I ask is if you convert a regular sky and then convert a redline, doesn't that make it pretty much the same car?

I'm going to try and sweet talk my way into the one the owner of the dealership I'm working with is buying. I doubt it'll pan out, I'm not going to put 5k down for a drive or anything... but I'd sit in the passenger seat if they let me for free.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The conversion is not as intrusive as you might think. The engine and most of the components on it are removed, the ECU is reprogrammed for the LS2 engine (Mallett logo on the DIC would be cool), the shocks and springs are replaced, some minor cutting on frame is made and welding to strengthen any weak areas, the transmission clutch and pressure plate are replaced, and the brake lines at the wheels are upgraded too. There is of course a lot of little things that are added as well, like wiring harness, hand crafted brackets, etc.

I don’t believe there is another company out there that can build a V8 Sky/Solstice better than Mallett Cars is doing. They are being built by master builders who know what sport cars are and how they need to be. You do pay for this wizardry, but when you consider the engineering effort and bulletproof nature of these cars its worth it!

I hope to sell as many as he can build for me. Just wait until the 2006 SEMA show for something really HOT!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I worry that the thing will fly....apart.... with a V8.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
rick112 said:
I worry that the thing will fly....apart.... with a V8.
I worry that I would fly apart:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:

Jus' a question Delnari:

Why would you convert a RedLine? Especially if you are already going to update the suspension, brakes, and change over the engine. Seems like an expensive way to go, why not buy a base but nicely loaded SKY and convert that one?

Or have I missed something?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:
The conversion is not as intrusive as you might think. The engine and most of the components on it are removed, the ECU is reprogrammed for the LS2 engine (Mallett logo on the DIC would be cool), the shocks and springs are replaced, some minor cutting on frame is made and welding to strengthen any weak areas, the transmission clutch and pressure plate are replaced, and the brake lines at the wheels are upgraded too. There is of course a lot of little things that are added as well, like wiring harness, hand crafted brackets, etc.

I don’t believe there is another company out there that can build a V8 Sky/Solstice better than Mallett Cars is doing. They are being built by master builders who know what sport cars are and how they need to be. You do pay for this wizardry, but when you consider the engineering effort and bulletproof nature of these cars its worth it!

I hope to sell as many as he can build for me. Just wait until the 2006 SEMA show for something really HOT!
And, malletcars is a sponsor of Solsticeforum. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Wow, thanks for the 3rd degree guys. :brentil:

·
Registered
554 Posts
KappaMan said:
Jus' a question Delnari:

Why would you convert a RedLine? Especially if you are already going to update the suspension, brakes, and change over the engine. Seems like an expensive way to go, why not buy a base but nicely loaded SKY and convert that one?

Or have I missed something?
Wanted my second Mallett car to have dual factory exhaust, factory traction contol, and the upgraded factory interior. No Mallett emblems are going on the Redline version. Maybe with just a little Mallett tuning a 300 HP package for the regular version will be made.

Mallett has already started working on the conversion plans for the GXP and Redlines. I'm trying to convince him to sell the left-over parts of the GXP/Redline to a normal Solstice/Sky owner for some less expensive power added.

Should make for some interesting fun on the road when a Boxster S pulls along side thinking I can beat a Redline Sky, can't I?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts