Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please use this space for any recommended mods for the sky base or redline models, we all want to get the most out of these sexy beasts and anything you can think of that'll make them any sexier than they already are is greatly appreciated. Answer at least these two things:
- What is your favorite mod and why?
- What is the coolest or best mod to a Saturn sky you've ever seen?

Seriously any and all comments are appreciated and encouraged. Super expensive, large mods or cheap but satisfying small mods, if we can I'd love to make this thread a collection of years of experience for all new or old sky owners to enjoy. Plus it would be really weird if I hyped up this thread for there to only be like 3 replies. So make sure your mother, father, aunt and twice removed step cousin to comment their recommendations so we can maximize potential mod ideas. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Starting off, @Robotech dude you've got to have the coolest sky I've ever seen. I mean the color scheme, offset racing stripe, the interior all is absolutely insane. Actually my favorite small mod on that car is the vented hood inserts that you've changed from the originals, where did you get those?

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one thing that I think ranks high was upgrading the head unit to something more modern. Apple car play, bluetooth, reverse cam, Navigation and phone charging. Doesn’t add to driving dynamics, but nice to have modern creature comforts.
Apple Car play would be fantastic in a sky. Do you know where to get a unit that fits the sky?

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not knocking it, but the common response seems to be crutchfields. I just sourced everything individually. Installed a Kenwood DNX. Used a GMOS-LAN-04 in my car and GMLAN-11 on my wife’s car.
Ok I need to look into that that would probably add a bit of value to the car too, with modern functions like backup cameras, apple car play, maybe even remote start. Not to mention really nice to have.

·
Super Moderator
11,640 Posts
Starting off, @Robotech dude you've got to have the coolest sky I've ever seen. I mean the color scheme, offset racing stripe, the interior all is absolutely insane. Actually my favorite small mod on that car is the vented hood inserts that you've changed from the originals, where did you get those?
LOL wow, why thank you. Flattery will get you everywhere. LOL

Those hood vents are off a 2013 Ford Mustang...kinda. They are APR universal narrow hood vents.

But these are basically carbon fiber reproductions with pre drilled holes and screws of the 2013 style Mustang hood vents. Note you will have to cut your hood including part of the underlying bracing for these to fit but I have had no issues with mine.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you're going to do a headunit upgrade and don't care for OnStar, I recommend getting one of the integration kits that doesn't preserve it. Not only are they much cheaper, but they don't interfere with the sound quality at all, and if you have the Monsoon system, you can attach RCA connectors to the harness and connect directly to the pre-amp outputs on your head unit. I used the Axxess BX-GM3 in my Sky, but I don't think they make it any longer and it's been superseded by another model. It preserves the chimes and indicators with a speaker internal to the unit itself, and IMO, the solution is far superior to the OnStar-preserving kits.

The sound quality of the system is actually surprisingly excellent with a good aftermarket unit. I used to have a Pioneer 80PRS in my Sky, but there are lots of double DIN units. I just put a Pionner SPH-DA250DAB in my Saab and so far I like it well enough, but I do miss the volume knob. (And the factory amplifier/speaker system in the Saab sucks!)

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I just bought these vents, but then decided to get an aftermarket hood. If you want them, I'll sell em to you for less than I bought them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Redline:
1. Tune (GMPP)
2. Gauges (vacuum/Boost, oil temp, oil Pressure)
3. Variable rate springs
4. Auto chromatic mirror (with onstar and map lights)
5. Upgraded sound system

Also a handful of little things. Lots of ideas not yet done or fully evaluated.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I just bought these vents, but then decided to get an aftermarket hood. If you want them, I'll sell em to you for less than I bought them.

nice... do you have to keep your car out of the rain?

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL wow, why thank you. Flattery will get you everywhere. LOL

Those hood vents are off a 2013 Ford Mustang...kinda. They are APR universal narrow hood vents.

But these are basically carbon fiber reproductions with pre drilled holes and screws of the 2013 style Mustang hood vents. Note you will have to cut your hood including part of the underlying bracing for these to fit but I have had no issues with mine.
View attachment 117692

View attachment 117694

View attachment 117695
Sorry for the late response, but yeah damn that looks super nice. Also side note is that Patrick star on the front bumper actually on the car lmao? Makes it 10 times better lol.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That looks good to0 I forgot to even check etsy for accessories, Also I think I actually might change my side cupholder to that USB Charging Panel that honestly looks worthwhile too

Link: Saturn Sky Cupholder Replacement / USB Charging Panel | Etsy

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Redline:
1. Tune (GMPP)
2. Gauges (vacuum/Boost, oil temp, oil Pressure)
3. Variable rate springs
4. Auto chromatic mirror (with onstar and map lights)
5. Upgraded sound system

Also a handful of little things. Lots of ideas not yet done or fully evaluated.
I think the most recommended thing to do with a redline is a tune that I've seen so how would someone even go about doing that? I've seen youtube videos of people using HPTuners to do it so is that what you did?

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I think the most recommended thing to do with a redline is a tune that I've seen so how would someone even go about doing that? I've seen youtube videos of people using HPTuners to do it so is that what you did?
If straight line power is your primary goal, the tune may be your first step, but if cornering is important to you the ProBeam is the single best thing you can do.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If straight line power is your primary goal, the tune may be your first step, but if cornering is important to you the ProBeam is the single best thing you can do.
I feel like the car already handles really well but I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains so it would probably be a good investment to get the Probeam. I do however like to gap cocky highschool kids in a straight piped civic from time to time too though. How much do Tune ups run for?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts