·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What motor oil is everyone using in their SKY's? Thanks:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Whatever came from the factory. Haven't had my first oil change yet. I am a Pennzoil kind of guy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mobil 1

I dont have my sky yet but when I get it I will use only mobil 1 synthetic, I have used this stuff in all my other cars and it works great

·
Registered
141 Posts
Motor Oil

For almost a decade now, I've used Redline syn or Royal Purple syn. Awesome stuff... Less friction = More horsepower. I used to have a 300zx turbo way back when and we did a swap of fluids, oil, trans, dif., and added the redline wet fluid ofr radiator. There was a pretty big jump on the dyno.. roughly 6hp.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was going to g synthetic, but the service dept told me that the DIC won't know it's synthetic and will tell me to change oli based upon non-synthetic. That being the case, I'll be using Vavoline!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
jarcher said:
I was going to g synthetic, but the service dept told me that the DIC won't know it's synthetic and will tell me to change oli based upon non-synthetic. That being the case, I'll be using Vavoline!
Hmmm...never thought about that. Can anyone else here that currently uses syn confirm this about the oil-life indicator?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
nscrbug said:
Hmmm...never thought about that. Can anyone else here that currently uses syn confirm this about the oil-life indicator?
I have been using Mobil 1 syn and the Dic has not taken it into account.

I believe, but not sure, that the DIC only equates its percentage from miles driven. I doubt that its able to actually measure the viscosity of the oil and base its percentage that way. Maybe on a more expensive car.

I just plan on resetting it or just ignoring it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
usmc said:
I have been using Mobil 1 syn and the Dic has not taken it into account.

I believe, but not sure, that the DIC only equates its percentage from miles driven. I doubt that its able to actually measure the viscosity of the oil and base its percentage that way. Maybe on a more expensive car.

I just plan on resetting it or just ignoring it.

I just did a little research and I was only half right. It doesn't measure viscosity or the oil itself in any way but it does monitor your driving habits and based on an algorithm, gives the output as you see it on the dic.

so one person could get 3000 miles out of their oil while another (whos an easier going driver) could get 5k or 7k. anyway, here the links---

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/simplified_maintenance_040104.html

sol forum thread-- http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19464&highlight=change+indicator

·
Registered
877 Posts
I will be using mobile 1 as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I'll be using Mobile 1. Thanks all:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Break in on Dino!!!

Be sure to do complete engine breakin on conventional oil, then switch to synthetic. Synthetic oil does not have enough friction to seat rings properly.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Growler said:
Be sure to do complete engine breakin on conventional oil, then switch to synthetic. Synthetic oil does not have enough friction to seat rings properly.

.........................:agree:

I like to put 15 to 20 thousand miles on before I switch to Mobil 1

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Ya gotta love the Oil Life monitor. From what I was told, the monitor uses Coolant temp, Engine RPMs, and Engine run time to determin oil life.

I just had mine changed for the first time with 5,100 miles on the OD. I just wanted the dealer to check out the car and do the first change since it is just after break in. The OLM was only at 50% so I had a ways to go. I'll do the next one in my garage and will be using Mobil 1 full syn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the switch to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles, thats enough to seat the rings and I wanted to get clean oil in it. If your really picky as I was with Growler I changed (dino to dino) at 100 miles and then again (dino to synthetic) at 1000 miles. My plan is to change oil & filter every 7500 miles using Mobil 1.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mobil 1 All The Way

I changed to mobil 1 at 500 miles, I hope I didn't jump the gun. I figured the break in period was 500 miles and I'm on vacation and can't keep my hands of the car :lol: I do know that the vette is shipped from the factory with mobil 1 so I assume it doesn't hurt to switch after only 500 miles.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts

ouch.,...
1) I dont know about base... but the Redline has use Mobil One right on the oil cap.... and in the manual
2) On the RL It absolutely is based on Synthetic.... its easy to tell... when I put 3000 miles on since my last oil change and it said 60% on the DIC.....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
hmmm.... so Mr Oil KnowItAll (Me :) )... was just wondering...

At what percentage point on the DIC does it switch over to "Change Oil Soon"?

Does it go all the way down to zero... ? Has anyone let it run down that far?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts