Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that this forum has a number of people that have or have had muscle cars and are also attracted to the SKY. I'm trying to get a sense of where you muscle car guys are at with your hobby interest and IF you think the SKY will be a viable alternative to owning/wrenching on/ and driving a 50's/60's/70's muscle car. Here the thing, I'm a long time auto enthusiast and gear head. I've owned a couple of muscle cars and daily drivers building up engines, trans, rear ends, chassis work, etc... . My current project has been idle for a while - kids college, weddings, etc... and will be for few more years. It's driveable but a long way from being done. I need a new car and ordered a SKY Redline figuring it will satisfy my needs both as an all around daily driver and weekend fun car with great looks, lots of performance, correct wheel drive and an affordable price. But will it take the place of a project car?? Only I can answer that question for me. But what about some of you other muscle car enthusiasts/gear heads - has the SKY fulfilled your hobby interests or given you a fresh direction to pursue? Or do you still have a need for that big block muscle car sharing garage space with your SKY? I would appreciate your insights. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would like to see Chip Foose do something with this car. He really has a great way of turning those muscle cars into unique works of art. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I noticed that this forum has a number of people that have or have had muscle cars and are also attracted to the SKY. I'm trying to get a sense of where you muscle car guys are at with your hobby interest and IF you think the SKY will be a viable alternative to owning/wrenching on/ and driving a 50's/60's/70's muscle car. Here the thing, I'm a long time auto enthusiast and gear head. I've owned a couple of muscle cars and daily drivers building up engines, trans, rear ends, chassis work, etc... . My current project has been idle for a while - kids college, weddings, etc... and will be for few more years. It's driveable but a long way from being done. I need a new car and ordered a SKY Redline figuring it will satisfy my needs both as an all around daily driver and weekend fun car with great looks, lots of performance, correct wheel drive and an affordable price. But will it take the place of a project car?? Only I can answer that question for me. But what about some of you other muscle car enthusiasts/gear heads - has the SKY fulfilled your hobby interests or given you a fresh direction to pursue? Or do you still have a need for that big block muscle car sharing garage space with your SKY? I would appreciate your insights. Thanks!
I haven't received my Sky yet, but I know it won't replace my project car.:nono:

I look at it this way, I will have the best of both roadster worlds, my Cobra is "old school" performance while the Sky will be "hi-tech" performance.:thumbs:

I think both cars will receive some attention!:)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think I'm in the same situation as you. I've owned a few muscle cars but don't have the time or the space to be actively working on a project right now. I had the itch to get involved again about a year ago but I must have something that I can drive daily. The sky fit that bill for me. I can commute in it and still get decent mileage and at the same time mod it to my hearts content and still use it as a daily driver. its also a good opportunity to learn about all the modern stuff out there now. "tuning" meant somthing quite a bit different to me back then than it does now.

It will never fill that void I have for a V8. (I'm getting teary eyed just thinking of my '71 'stang- 351C I had to sell)
maybe in a few years I'll be able to get back into the classics. When I do, it will be a '69 mach!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have a 71 Vette I was about to restore until my wife found a 61 Vette that needs restoration even worse. I love the 71, have had it for almost 14 years, and it is a great driver, but at 15mpg hiway and 35 years old a bit long in the tooth for a daily driver. Thus the Sky. Yes, it is acceptable for a alternative to a early model muscle car. A lot of fun to drive and at Corvette Club events where we have our cars out, folks gather around two types of cars. The older Vettes (C1s thru C3s) and the Sky. :cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made room for the RL........

I thought I would post in case anyone else is contemplating selling a project car to make room for a SKY. My '68 Camaro is sold. I'm cleaning out the garage and basement of everything that goes with it. I know the guy that bought it and he will take care of it. I will miss the car but I've thought long and hard about this and I'm confident that I will not regret it. My rationale is that it is no longer a technical/engineering challenge for me, it is dollars and several years away from being completely done and in the end I'll have an expensive toy that I cannot leave unattended. While I will not know the brute torque of a 500 inch big block on sticky DOT's, the SKY R-L is the things that my Camaro is not. For the things that my Camaro is, I've really enjoyed it! I'm very much looking forward to getting the SKY R-L.

Thanks for your inputs.......

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought I would post in case anyone else is contemplating selling a project car to make room for a SKY. My '68 Camaro is sold. I'm cleaning out the garage and basement of everything that goes with it. I know the guy that bought it and he will take care of it. I will miss the car but I've thought long and hard about this and I'm confident that I will not regret it. My rationale is that it is no longer a technical/engineering challenge for me, it is dollars and several years away from being completely done and in the end I'll have an expensive toy that I cannot leave unattended. While I will not know the brute torque of a 500 inch big block on sticky DOT's, the SKY R-L is the things that my Camaro is not. For the things that my Camaro is, I've really enjoyed it! I'm very much looking forward to getting the SKY R-L.

Thanks for your inputs.......

The Sky will sit around with my V8s but it will in no way ever replace them. My '92 Camaro was the first car I ever bought and I intend to keep it for good.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The Sky is not a muscle car. It has none of the character or shortcomings that is bestowed upon muscle cars. The list of muscle cars is just not that long and has certain credentials for entry. Most noteworthy is a big block in an intermediate or pony body.

I have a well-built big block '67 Fairlane with a toploader four-speed and a 3.89 gear in a Detroit Locker. Brutal straight-line acceleration. It does things that the Sky will never do, including gulping impressive quantities of fuel, making ferocious noise, and drawing attention like a train wreck. It doesn't hurt that it's lime green with a gold flame job.

I also have a '72 Corvette. There is nothing like a sports car with a big V-8 rumbling down the road. It certainly lacks the sophistication of the Sky, but it's also 35 years old. But it's not a muscle car.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definition
The term muscle car generally describes a rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful engine (typically, although not universally, a V8 engine) and special trim, intended for maximum torque on the street or in drag racing competition. It is distinguished from sports cars, which were customarily and coincidentally considered smaller, two-seat cars, or GTs, two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring and possibly road racing. High-performance full-size or compact cars are arguably excluded from this category, as are the breed of compact sports coupes inspired by the Ford Mustang, the "pony car". Another factor used in defining a classic muscle cars is age and country of origin. A classic muscle car is usually but not necessarily made in the US or Australia between 1964 and 1975.

An alternate definition is based on power-to-weight ratio, defining a muscle car as an automobile with (for example) fewer than 12 pounds per rated hp. Such definitions are inexact, thanks to a wide variation in curb weight depending on options and to the questionable nature of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) gross hp ratings in use before 1972, which were often deliberately overstated or underrated for various reasons

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Lucky to keep them all!

:cool:
Nothing can replace a muscle car or older classic car, it’s what you can afford to take care of and what time you have to spend on this "Car Hobby". That is what got me into the hobby when I realized that a classic car is not something you just walk into a dealer and buy. It’s a supply and demand coast to coast search and just the right timing to find that Chevrolet SS, Mustang etc. that you always thought was so cool, fast and always wanted to own. Life is about time and money and the choices you make with both. The Sky fills a wonderful notch, its hot looking, fun convertible, new under warranty, good gas mileage and the redline has the power to get you a speeding ticket easily. I like driving our corvette but I love driving Skybaby, it has all the creature comforts and electronic buzz, but I love driving that old Alpine I get even more stares and waves, and I am pushing it to reach 65mph, no AC and it’s a GT the hard top sits in the garage and we do not get to far from home if its cloudy, it has big limits but a hoot to drive. Sky is a decent daily driver, I don’t use it for that but driving it to work on beautiful days buts that permagrin on all day long! When I drive the Alpine to work have to take the back roads stay off the expressways takes me and extra 15 minutes but what a rush! With the Alpine and she has only once let me down but I really don’t know if I will make it to work or not, always something with that old car, it’s the not knowing that makes it an adventure!

TulsaSky
:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, the SKY is not a muscle car, but it HAS filled my need for a V8! I have the Mallett LS2 V8 upgrade with mine.

This is the first V8 I've had in 20 years, and I am satisfied. I feel I NEED a small roadster-type convertible more than a muscle car (since I like to drive them better), but always missed the V8 sound and power. I have them both now, and I find myself no longer longing for that 72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible...

I would never consider myself a gearhead, but more of a casual car enthusiast.

:driving:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Having the a SKY R/L & a 'Vette, I have to say the I love 'em both:D They are both good perFormers and very fun to drive. Although not a 'Vette, the SKY hold's itself up with the the best of them in it's domain. SKY's & Vette's, GOTTA LOVE "EM:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts