Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not only am I experiencing "the noise", now it seems as though I have no brakes. :willy:

Those of you hearing "the noise" know exactly what I'm talking about. It's the whine comming from the rear end that NO ONE at Saturn can diagnose. :banghead:

So, when I hit the brakes with anything harder than a slow deceleration, the car feels like it's not going to stop. Anyone else have this experience? I did a little bit of internet research and read that the brake system on the SKY's are not the most effective, but I have NEVER experienced this with any other car I've driven. I'm scared and frustrated!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No noise and no problems whatsoever with brakes -- Get ye to a dealership! The 4-wheel ABS is fantastic and stops the car very well. Something is wrong!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I'd get that car in to service pretty quick.
I haven't ready anything at all about brake problems on the Sol or Sky.
Actually, the brakes are pretty darned good on my car, which, uh, well is a good thing for uh, me.
What you describe about your brakes does not sound normal at all.

The "whine", well that's the diff whine. Lotsa posts about that already.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I love the brakes on this car. Stops on a dime so far so good!!
Theresa

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Everything I've read says that the sky comes with oversized truck brakes, and stops like a charm. I wouldn't even take it to the dealer, you are probably safest just to call the dealer and tell them pick it up in your drive and call you when the brakes have been fully checked and repaired.

Better safe than sorry:nono:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
It sounds like you have some air in the brake lines and that will cause problems. If you feel like you can drive it to the dealership than do , if not then tell the dealership to pick it up and have them do some testing on the brake system....Skip...by the way my Sky stops when I say stop ....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
...by the way my Sky stops when I say stop ....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Skip, does the voice recognition come with the base Sky, or do you have to order that as an option? :D

Hey...if the car can talk to you, have its own phone number and send you e-mail, it will only be a matter of time before it includes voice recognition.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Skip, does the voice recognition come with the base Sky, or do you have to order that as an option? :D

Hey...if the car can talk to you, have its own phone number and send you e-mail, it will only be a matter of time before it includes voice recognition.
The weird part is the Sky does have its own phone number, and it does have voice recognition . Its called On-star. As to receiving e-mails not yet but I get this telephone noise like e-mail wanting to go through every now and then. Skip...Hehehe....:) :) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFO!! :D

My husband is bringing the car in on Monday and we both suspect that the brakes need to be bled. I took it to Zeyphers Stadium last night to a big open parking lot and tested the brakes. The results are that when cruised at about 30-40 MPH then jammed on the brakes as hard as I could the the brakes worked perfectly. When I coasted down to about 5-10 MPH or so then jammed on the brakes, the brakes were spongy and didn't stop the car immediatly. In my opinion, there's probably air in the lines and they need to be bled.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get to dealer

I have the Mallett V8 upgrade and my care now overpowered and heavier thatn a stock sky has a better braking skidpad than most sportscars in its class. Something IS wrong with your car...the sky brakes are frankly one of its best features.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFO!! :D

My husband is bringing the car in on Monday and we both suspect that the brakes need to be bled. I took it to Zeyphers Stadium last night to a big open parking lot and tested the brakes. The results are that when cruised at about 30-40 MPH then jammed on the brakes as hard as I could the the brakes worked perfectly. When I coasted down to about 5-10 MPH or so then jammed on the brakes, the brakes were spongy and didn't stop the car immediatly. In my opinion, there's probably air in the lines and they need to be bled.

DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR!!! Have it flat towed to the dealership. Make absolutely sure that the tow truck operator sees how low the front end is and does not damage the air dam with the cable.

This doesn't sound like a bad booster or vacuum issue or the pedal would be "dead", and very hard. It DOES sound like air in the system, but WHY? If you, check the master cylinder and make sure it is full. It probably isn't which means a serious leak somewhere which could lead to a complete brake failure. And then we will be reading about your accident!! If both circuits are full, it may be a bad master cylinder. Ditto the failure probability.

DON'T DRIVE IT.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As mentioned the car should be serviced as soon as possible.

The noise I'm guessing is a whine in certain gears when at lower RPMs? If so it's not a problem and is not something that can be fixed. Newer 2007 model cars and RLs will have the toque arm to help alleviate the clunk and I'm betting the whine too possibly.

Both issues are actually user correctable. Driving slightly more aggressively by keeping the RPMs up higher and shifting at higher RPMs will prevent both from happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MY BRAKES ARE FIXED!!!!! :cheers:

I got my car back yesterday (they've had it since Monday) and the brakes work perfectly now! They figured out that a vacuum line from the brake master cylinder (I think?!?) or maybe it was the brake booster(?) or is that the same thing?---I'm not sure but anyway, that hose was collapsing and not allowing the fluid to pass properly. So...they ordered a new hose and changed it and there ya go! :D

Now, if they would only fix the stupid whine coming from the rear end. They claim to be "looking into it".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts