Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an opportunity to take my SKY to a road course, annd under supervision and instruction will be able to wring her out. My question is will the production SKY, with the optional heavy supension be able to take a good work out. The road course has no obstructions to crash in to, as the track itself is edged by sand. Will the LSD be an advantage or not in this scenario? Figure this is an excellent opportunity to really give it a push to the edge of the envelope. The instructor will go over the course beside me and advise me if I am doing anything wrong and how to correct it. I have driven some performance rides but has been enough years that a little refresher course can't hurt. The hiways and roads being as crowded as they are in the metroplex, and not the proper place for this type of driving, was wondering if the SKY is up to the task. Do not want to hurt her in anyway, as she is my pride and joy. Brentil, KappaMan, and anyone else give me your opinions and input please. I am running 3 laps at Texas Motor Speedway next month on a banked NASCAR track, but at a controlled 90 mph, don't foresee a problem there, she should hold real smooth, ya think?:cool:What it boils down to I guess is if the SKY basically a street ride or does in it's stock factory build have the capabilities of handling a true road course.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ernest, Im confused? 3 laps on the speedway=concrete barriers not sand. I assume you are to drive the course inside the track. Whatever you do be careful. I do not believe your insurance will cover your car if damaged on the track. I could be wrong however. By the way will you be running Talladega this weekend?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The course I am referring is at a location just outside of Ft Worth, The laps will be at TMRS, 2 different locations, two different times. I am not to worried about the laps, 90 mph on the banks should cause a problem. My main concern is if the SKY is up to a road course work out, without doing mods on it. I have not definitely decided on the road course, just something I am pondering.

No, I am not running Talladega this weekend, judgiong from the storms building up here, she will be in garage all weekend:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
:patriot: Well Ernest what ever you find out either through provided information or learned through experience let me know. It is my intention to be right there with you at TMS. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Ernst, my only concern on whether the Sky can handle it is if you have reached the break in point. I would be concerned with the brakes and engine if you are not past the initial 500 miles. However, since I am pretty sure you are past that point, going fast and handling should not be an issue. I have had to manuver around some road obstecles and the amazingly quick response both surprised :eek: and scared the h3!! out of me! But the car stayed glued to the road. :driving: This car is made for twisties!:thumbs: It is shorter than my '71 Vette, but it also is wider, and when you get something built like that, it will be hard to exceed its limits. You will probably find it will let you perform above you ability, as it has already shown me it will perform above mine and I driven my Vette for 13 years and performnce bikes for almost 30.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has proven itself as a capable handling ride. I feel really comfortable in it, and it has already proven the quickness to get me out of a tight spot that someone else graciously put me into. It is nimble and very responsive and think very forgiving. Does yours have the heavier suspension? If not you should get it, really a step up from stock.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Bump Steer?

Ernest said:
It has proven itself as a capable handling ride. I feel really comfortable in it, and it has already proven the quickness to get me out of a tight spot that someone else graciously put me into. It is nimble and very responsive and think very forgiving. Does yours have the heavier suspension? If not you should get it, really a step up from stock.
Slightly off topic: Has anyone experienced "bump steer" on their Sky? Seems like I felt a little last night when going south through wLA on the 405 fwy after hitting a couple of bumps. Hope it is my imagination, but I have felt it before in my daughters '95 Saturn after having it towed (they bent some of the rear suspension parts). It is the feeling of having to correct your steering after hitting a small dip or bump in the road (I was doing 80 at the time). I hope it was just a fluke, but I'll be more alert to it for a while. The roughest part is being between two large SUV's at the time and trying to stay in the center my lane as they were riding the lines.
I don't have a pit crew like in NASCAR to make small tweeks. ramble,ramble,ramble

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:
eldeeko said:
Slightly off topic: Has anyone experienced "bump steer" on their Sky? Seems like I felt a little last night when going south through wLA on the 405 fwy after hitting a couple of bumps. Hope it is my imagination, but I have felt it before in my daughters '95 Saturn after having it towed (they bent some of the rear suspension parts). It is the feeling of having to correct your steering after hitting a small dip or bump in the road (I was doing 80 at the time). I hope it was just a fluke, but I'll be more alert to it for a while. The roughest part is being between two large SUV's at the time and trying to stay in the center my lane as they were riding the lines.
I don't have a pit crew like in NASCAR to make small tweeks. ramble,ramble,ramble
Have not experienced this on mine, smooth as silk at the century mark! Now "bum steers"" is another story!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Ernest said:
:
Have not experienced this on mine, smooth as silk at the century mark! Now "bum steers"" is another story!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
We want to hear about them bum steers... Skip,,,needs a good story on a Friday night......:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts