Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is not old news.
Small Dealer on the Sol site just posted this:
2007 Sky $23,690 (manual transmission)/$24,540 (automatic transmission), to be announced today

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
wow less than we expected... I can't wait

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes!!

I've been watching this forum for months now, and just decided to register, i'm like crying right now, I'm so happy theres a price, and thats it's so low. I just called my saturn dealership, and the manager isn't in yet :( but don't worry i'll keep calling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I want my sky NOW said:
I've been watching this forum for months now, and just decided to register, i'm like crying right now, I'm so happy theres a price, and thats it's so low. I just called my saturn dealership, and the manager isn't in yet :( but don't worry i'll keep calling.

Let us know the minute you hear anything! I think everything is going to happen this week as far as the ordering goes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
From this it looks like the Sky will cost no more than the Solstice with the same equipment on it... sounds good to me....
Edit:
I just priced a Solstice on the Pontiac website, and for the same options on it that are standard on the Sky the price will be. $23845.00
According to the news release from GM the base price of a 5 speed Sky is 23690. so If my pricing of the Solstice is correct then actually the Sky will cost less.... WOW :driving: :thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
tiptronic

Does anyone know if the automatic is also tiptronic? I so wish it was, too many old people and slow traffic here in florida to have manual, but if there is no tiptronic i will get a manual, b/c c'mon it's a roadster.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I want my sky NOW said:
Does anyone know if the automatic is also tiptronic? I so wish it was, too many old people and slow traffic here in florida to have manual, but if there is no tiptronic i will get a manual, b/c c'mon it's a roadster.
no it is not, Just a 5 speed automatic... I am sure if it was the info already out would state that it had a manual shift option on the automatic transmission..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like someone will be learning manual :) Wish me luck :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Best decision you'll ever make!
Auto people ride in their cars-- manual men DRIVE THEM!!!!

Badaszawesome on the price, btw!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Text from GM release 01/03/06

Sky Combines Dynamic Style, Performance with Equally-Attractive Price

MSRP of 2007 Saturn Sky to start at $23,690

DETROIT – With its combination of dynamic design and agile performance, the 2007 Saturn Sky signals a bold new direction for the Saturn brand. The vehicle’s price, however, shows the brand’s ongoing commitment to providing solid value to its buyers combined with an industry-standard purchase and ownership experience.

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the well-equipped 2007 Sky starts at $23,690 for models with a 5-speed manual transmission, and $24,540 with an optional 5-speed automatic. (Both MSRPs include a $575 destination charge.)

The Sky, available this spring, is the first vehicle to feature a new look that will inspire the design of future Saturn products. The roadster will be followed this summer by the all-new Aura midsize sedan and Outlook midsize crossover utility late in 2006. These vehicles feature the same, dynamic exterior design theme, with inviting, sophisticated interiors.

“The Sky signals a whole new direction for Saturn as we dramatically grow our portfolio,” says Jill Lajdziak, Saturn’s general manager. “It blends the dynamic new design of our vehicles with a strong value proposition in its segment.”

Dynamic Design
The Sky’s exterior features a strong front end that represents the new face of Saturn, with a pronounced fender peak and a bold, chrome bar that carries an integrated Saturn badge. It has a wide, muscular stance with short overhangs and 18-inch wheels pushed to the corners for a true sports car feel. The convertible top folds completely into the rear compartment, and the clamshell hood provides excellent accessibility and reinforces the Sky’s sports car character. Halogen projector beam headlamps and foglamps extend the exterior’s sophisticated look.

The design philosophy is carried through to the Sky’s interior, which is driver-focused with integrated controls and displays. Creative use of piano black and chrome finishes combine with available leather seats and technical grains to emphasize richness and precision. Jewel-like detailing on the HVAC and lighting controls is executed with tight fits, highlighting the attention to detail.

Roadster performance
The Sky also has the athletic performance to back up its bold styling. It is equipped with a standard 2.4-liter, 177-horsepower Ecotec engine with variable valve timing and a five-speed Aisin manual transmission with a short throw shifter. An available limited slip differential decreases potential wheel slippage, increasing the Sky’s performance potential ever further.

Other major standard features on the 2007 Sky include:
  • Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and dynamic rear proportioning
  • Four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks
  • Air conditioning
  • Power windows, locks, mirrors and remote keyless entry
  • Dual-stage drive and passenger airbags with Passenger Sensing System
  • AM/FM/CD Stereo with auxiliary input jack for use with portable audio players
  • The 2007 Saturn Sky will be built at GM’s Wilmington, Del., assembly facility.

SATURN SKY SPECIFICATIONS
General

Body/chassis structure:
Lower dominant, integral hydroformed tube and stamped steel structure with enclosed central tunnel

Body materials:
hydroformed stamped steel, conventional stamped steel, composite panels

Chassis material:
aluminum/steel

Front suspension:
Independent SLA w/coil over Bilstein monotube shocks, stabilizer bar

Rear suspension:
Independent SLA w/coil over Bilstein monotube shocks and toe control link, stabilizer bar

Wheels:
18 x 8 flangeless aluminum

Tires:
Goodyear Eagle RSA P245/45R18 96V

Brakes:
4-wheel disc w/ ABS and dynamic rear proportioning

Steering:
Hydraulic-assisted rack and pinion

Dimensions

Height (in / mm):
50.2 / 1274

Length (in / mm):
161.1 / 4091

Width (in / mm):
71.4 / 1813

Wheelbase (in / mm):
95.1 / 2415

Track (in / mm)

Front:
60.7 / 1543

Rear:
61.5 / 1561

Estimated curb weight
(lb / kg):
2892 / 1312 manual
2948 / 1337 automatic

Powertrain

Drivetrain:
front engine, rear-wheel drive

Engine:
2.4L DOHC I-4 Ecotec (LE5)

Displacement (cu in / cc):
145 / 2384

Horsepower (hp / kw) @ rpm:
177 / 132 @ 6600

Torque (lb-ft / Nm) @ rpm:
166 / 225 @ 4800

Transmission:
Aisin 5-speed manual (standard); 5-speed automatic (optional)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jives with what was suspected - the base sky is essentially a semi-optioned out base solstice. Like a Solstice ordered with ABS/AC/Power package.

Anyone price out a Solstice at same content? Must be within a few hundred bucks comparably equipped...

Notice also, the power has been updated to 177 HP.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I priced out a Solstice with ABS, AC, and the Power Package.

$22,475.00 (including destination charges).

Base Sky (per GM released info), comparably equipped: $23,690 (including destination charges).

More difference than I thought. BUT, the sky has projector halogen headlamps, which are not available on the Solstice.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KappaMan said:
Notice also, the power has been updated to 177 HP.
Are they going to recommend 91 octane (like Sol) due to increasing 170-177hp?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
KappaMan said:
I priced out a Solstice with ABS, AC, and the Power Package.

$22,475.00 (including destination charges).

Base Sky (per GM released info), comparably equipped: $23,690 (including destination charges).

More difference than I thought. BUT, the sky has projector halogen headlamps, which are not available on the Solstice.
You also have to remember the Sky comes with cruise and a couple other options in the convenience package you have to order on the Solstice but to get them you have to order the the premium package... also the Sky comes standard with onstar, floormats and the sound insulated top padding....If you break it down and add cruise and the other options in the convenience package that are standard on the Sky you will come up with what I did in post number 6

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just visited (pestered) my dealer again to see when I could place my actual build order. Still no "image", still no order.

However, my dealer also sells Pontiacs. They have 4 (count 'em 4) Solstices UNSOLD sitting in the showroom. I asked if they were pre-sold and was told "we already delivered the 7 pre-ordered Solstices. These are up for grabs."

I spent a solid hour playing with these cars. Hood up. Hood down. Clamshell up. Clamshell down. Top up. Top down. Sat in the driver's seat. Sat in the passenger seat. Crawled around on the floor and looked at the underside. Pushed every button.

It gave me a great "feel" for how the SKY will be physically.

Of particular interest:

On the window sticker, they all priced out between $24,000 and $25,000 MSRP with lots of goodies that will be standard on the SKY. Then, on a big bold sticker was "DELUXE EXTERIOR APPEARANCE PACKAGE $5,000.00". Bottom line price for these cars was $29,000 to $30,000.

I asked about the $5,000 and was told "that's the upcharge due to the supply and demand". Hello! You have 4 of them collecting dust on the showroom floor. I'm sure they'll get their premium, but what a rip-off.

I asked my SKY salesman if the SKY will come with a similar upcharge. He said he believed so (around the same number).

Those of us who have purchased Saturns over the years (4 brand new cars in the last 8 years for me) have gladly put up with the "no haggle" pricing of Saturn. We all paid the sticker price. Now, they expect us loyal customers to pay a $5,000 premium. It stinks.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
You also have to remember the Sky comes with cruise and a couple other options in the convenience package you have to order on the Solstice but to get them you have to order the the premium package... also the Sky comes standard with onstar, floormats and the sound insulated top padding....If you break it down and add cruise and the other options in the convenience package that are standard on the Sky you will come up with what I did in post number 6
Sorry, darn speed reading classes! :lol: Scanned right past your post #6...

Yup, I see now, ZQ3 Convenience package, ZQ2 Power Package, C60 Air Conditioning, JL9 ABS, B32 Floor Mats, UE1 OnStar which forces the AZ5 Headliner....

all adds up to $23,845.

BUT, I don't think the foglamps or the Driver Information Center are standard on the Sky - and they are buried in the $465 of the ZQ3 Convenience package...., so basically, these cares are pretty much the same (assuming your standard floormats, OnStar/headliner, and cruise are, in fact, standard on the base Sky).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SATN SKY said:
I just visited (pestered) my dealer again to see when I could place my actual build order. Still no "image", still no order.

However, my dealer also sells Pontiacs. They have 4 (count 'em 4) Solstices UNSOLD sitting in the showroom. I asked if they were pre-sold and was told "we already delivered the 7 pre-ordered Solstices. These are up for grabs."

I spent a solid hour playing with these cars. Hood up. Hood down. Clamshell up. Clamshell down. Top up. Top down. Sat in the driver's seat. Sat in the passenger seat. Crawled around on the floor and looked at the underside. Pushed every button.

It gave me a great "feel" for how the SKY will be physically.

Of particular interest:

On the window sticker, they all priced out between $24,000 and $25,000 MSRP with lots of goodies that will be standard on the SKY. Then, on a big bold sticker was "DELUXE EXTERIOR APPEARANCE PACKAGE $5,000.00". Bottom line price for these cars was $29,000 to $30,000.

I asked about the $5,000 and was told "that's the upcharge due to the supply and demand". Hello! You have 4 of them collecting dust on the showroom floor. I'm sure they'll get their premium, but what a rip-off.

I asked my SKY salesman if the SKY will come with a similar upcharge. He said he believed so (around the same number).

Those of us who have purchased Saturns over the years (4 brand new cars in the last 8 years for me) have gladly put up with the "no haggle" pricing of Saturn. We all paid the sticker price. Now, they expect us loyal customers to pay a $5,000 premium. It stinks.
:rolleyes: Yeah. Similar thing when I was looking at GTO's when they first came out - dealer has nine sitting on the lot. Every one of them has +$5,000 added to the MSRP. I don't know if he sold them, but I'm patient enough that Pontiac ended up losing a sale - had I been able to get one between invoice and MSRP, I would have bought one of those GTO's, but at the end of the model year, he was stuck with them on his lot when the more powerful version of the GTO came out... At that point, I wasn't in the market for the car anymore.

Same thing with the Chevy SSR's - Dealer trying to talk me into +$7,500 over MSRP :)brentil: ). 9 months later, he's swamped with a half dozen of them when the bigger motor and manual tranny version came out, trying to unload them at invoice. At that point, I wasn't in the market for the truck anymore...

The GXP is just around the corner - 260 hp in a 2950 lb car, with the handling and agility of the Solstice... I wonder if history continues to repeat?

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
- George Santayana.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
KappaMan said:
Sorry, darn speed reading classes! :lol: Scanned right past your post #6...

Yup, I see now, ZQ3 Convenience package, ZQ2 Power Package, C60 Air Conditioning, JL9 ABS, B32 Floor Mats, UE1 OnStar which forces the AZ5 Headliner....

all adds up to $23,845.

BUT, I don't think the foglamps or the Driver Information Center are standard on the Sky - and they are buried in the $465 of the ZQ3 Convenience package...., so basically, these cares are pretty much the same (assuming your standard floormats, OnStar/headliner, and cruise are, in fact, standard on the base Sky).
Yes according to the standard equipment list for the Sky fog lights and The DIC are standard. check the order guide and you will see.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/do...vehicleID=3728&section=oi_def&page=7&butID=16

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yeah, I was looking for it, b/c I didn't want to re-download it again... but could not find it. That's why I wasn't sure.

Thanks, in that case, you're getting a heck of a deal with the Sky :thumbs:. Especially in light of the Solstice base price increase rumored to be on the way.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts